What Antenna To Get

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
Hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm looking into a better OTA antenna, I currently have a small indoor one. I've been looking at countless sites for antennas and not sure what would be best. I have a tower but I'd much rather put it in the attic. Any suggestions?

Receiving OTA can be a bit of voodoo, BUT, you can really narrow things down 95% by going to http://tvfool.com/ and clicking on the link Check Your Address for Free TV . Use the "Coordinates" search, I explain below.

Go to Google maps, find your house, RIGHT-click on the spot you think you'll install the antenna at your house, and click on "What's Here?". It'll give you your EXACT map coordinates to enter on the Tvfool screen. MUCH more accurate that doing a city search, or address search.Typically do the check at a height of 30 feet. That's fairly average for a rooftop antenna. More height does not always mean better signal.

In these days of digital tv, do NOT just add a antenna preamplifier for no reason! A preamp can cause far more problems with digital tv compared to the old analog tv. In most cases, you will not need any sort of preamp unless you are supplying more than two tv sets, and have a splitter and longer run of cable

Reactions: spongella
If you want assistance from members here you will have to tell us where you are located. TV recommendations for San Diego, CA. probably won't work very well n Miami, FL.

Understand the antenna selection dilemma, there are so many out there you can suffer from option paralysis. When digital TV was on the horizon did a lot of experimenting with new antennas, old antennas, with and without preamps, omnidirectional/directional, at different locations on my property, at different heights outside, and inside and outside the house. Came to the same conclusion as primestar 31 that there is voodoo involved in getting good digital reception. It breaks the rules analog TV lived by.

Most antennas will perform better outside than inside since signals are attenuated by wood, metal, etc. If you can install it outside your results will be better but if you live in a major city then the difference will be minimized and the attic installation might be fine.

In general the higher the antenna the better, but with digital TV signals, well, they don't always follow that rule. Experiment by trying different areas to get the best signal.

You also have to decide if you want an omni-directional or directional and again that all depends on your location. Suggestions by primestar 31, boba, and Iceberg are excellent - need to know where you are, and consult TV fool. Don't go by what some of antenna sellers state, they can sell a refrigerator to an eskimo hi hi.

The analog TV era was much simpler - call the TV man, give him a check and he did the rest. Now most TV men are retired or gone to their maker so the guesswork/installation is now the consumer's bailiwick. It all boils down to doing some data mining via TV fool, making the best decision based on what antenna seems the best, your installation skills/tools, purchasing an antenna, and trying it out. Might have to got through a few antennas in the process.

Went through at least eight antennas before finding the best one, a directional antenna with built-in preamp. It worked well in the attic, but it worked much better outside.

There is a lot of knowledge and experience in this forum, you chose the right place to ask.

Attachments

• TVantroof.JPG
    TVantroof.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 186
I'm in North Liberty Indiana, I'd like to get the most channels I can, was thinking about an omni directional antenna.
I don't see it. I did a tvfool report from the info you gave me:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f013952d5ba8
All of your regional stations are at 62 degrees (northeast) from your location. You have all major networks from towers that are 15 miles away and signal strengths that say any reasonable antenna will work.

The other stations are all 2 edge or tropo and will be extremely challenging to receive, even with a deep fringe antenna on a tower. My advice is to place a small directional antenna in the attic and point it northeast. Be happy with what you have.

Reactions: Mr Tony
You live near south bend you can get locals real easy. Looking for a tv guy call up kas satellite in angola he does installs been in business for 30 years or more.

I was hoping to get channels from the Chicago area as well. How would it work with two of the 2 bay antennas with one pointed toward Chicago and the other pointed at South Bend?

My feel is that it will take extraordinary effort to get the Chicago stations, and it will not be reliable. I currently live in Milwaukee, and previously lived in Rockford. Both are the same or easier, and I had friends with 40' towers that were not getting reliable signals.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Good thing about an overkill antenna is that you might bring in some far away (DX) stations when tropo occurs. That is always fun. Here, during the warmer months the DX comes in from MD, VA, Central PA, CT and other places not normally received. Shorter hops than with old analog TV though.

Good thing about an overkill antenna is that you might bring in some far away (DX) stations when tropo occurs. That is always fun. Here, during the warmer months the DX comes in from MD, VA, Central PA, CT and other places not normally received. Shorter hops than with old analog TV though.
NEGATIVE SIDE is it can cause interference on your near by stations. The signals coming in may be from a transmitter far enough away that there is normally no interference but I have had local stations disappear and some beautiful clear stations I don't want replace them for a couple hours until atmospheric conditions change.

All you can do is TRY. But agree, with the two previous posts,
you might bring in some far away (DX) stations
NEGATIVE SIDE is it can cause interference on your near by stations
IIRR many were marked as co-channel and adjacent. many time it takes aiming an antenna null towards the interfering station to minimize the interference. Quite often this is not boresighted at the desired station, thereby reducing the overall gain, but may work yet.
So for this application, the depth of the null, and its location in the antenna pattern is information that's useful.
Off hand, don't think a bowtie style would be very usefull. Think I'd go with a yagi. (looking at the radiation patterns) But that's just my opinion - YMMV.

I think I'll go with this one. View attachment 105367
I bought and installed this antenna a couple months ago , replacing my 5 year old , homemade 8 bay bowtie . My homemade , pulled in St.Louis channels (80miles away) well , for about 3 years . Tried rebuilding after being blown down twice . But glad I replaced it with this one . Homemade one showed more signal strength bars , during morning & night hours . This new one tho, holds channels steadier , day & night . It's bad side , plastic parts that it's joined together with , cheap . Don't expect it to last in wind & weather , for more than 2 years . Hope I can rebuild it with better plastic then.

One thing you have to watch for, especially if you're in a hilly area or in a city with lots of tall buildings, is multipath reflections. Sometimes the reflected signal is so strong it wipes out the main signal or ruins it to the point where your tuner can't handle it. This is where a directional antenna is a big help! You can zero in on the main signal and reject the reflections. Omni-directional antennas don't work well when there's a lot of multipath. Even when stations are fairly close, an antenna with gain and directivity can make a big difference.

As others have said, you need to experiment and try different things... antenna height, location, direction, etc all come into play. There's a station here that's 65 miles away that you'd think would come in best with the antenna way up in the air. Nope... I get the strongest signal with the antenna just four feet off the roof.

Reactions: FTA4PA
As others have said, you need to experiment and try different things... antenna height, location, direction, etc all come into play. There's a station here that's 65 miles away that you'd think would come in best with the antenna way up in the air. Nope... I get the strongest signal with the antenna just four feet off the roof.
I got the best signal for a weak station (about 60 miles away) while I was standing on our front porch holding the antenna - when I put it on the mast at the end of the house I got nothing. :confused::D

I got the best signal for a weak station (about 60 miles away) while I was standing on our front porch holding the antenna - when I put it on the mast at the end of the house I got nothing. :confused::D
I had the same thing when I lived in my house. Distant station didnt come in. Moved it a foot east on the roof. Bam great signal. Had LOS both spots

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts