What are my options?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scrib

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I have a Bravia 1080p TV coming tomorrow and I'll be moving the existing HDTV into the basement. I currently have a HR10-250 and a SD TiVo.

I'd like to see what the upgrade/option path is for me with the pending arrival of the new TV. I've got about 9 months left in my contract.

The non-retention number CSR told me it was $299 for the HR20-700 plus $19.95 shipping plus $49 install fee. I politely told her to stick it you know where...

Is that really the going rate these days? Especially when it's on a lease, why should I have to front money on something that I will never own?

Can anyone talk me down from considering a call to Comcast? I just don't understand the logic behind D*'s new pricing model.

Thanks.

I have a Bravia 1080p TV coming tomorrow and I'll be moving the existing HDTV into the basement. I currently have a HR10-250 and a SD TiVo.

I'd like to see what the upgrade/option path is for me with the pending arrival of the new TV. I've got about 9 months left in my contract.

The non-retention number CSR told me it was $299 for the HR20-700 plus $19.95 shipping plus $49 install fee. I politely told her to stick it you know where...

Is that really the going rate these days? Especially when it's on a lease, why should I have to front money on something that I will never own?

Can anyone talk me down from considering a call to Comcast? I just don't understand the logic behind D*'s new pricing model.

Thanks.

First off, after reading the 1st two parts, I thought you were getting a BABY, with "the pending arrival and 9 months left !!!
Nice choise on your TV :)

Ok, come off the roof....
How long have you been with D* ?
Call them back and talk with whoever, explain to them that you would like to upgrade your equipment to the newer mpeg4, if thats the way you want to go.

Some are getting the HR20-700 for $200, I consider that a very fair price, (although it is a lease). If you get it for less, great, but don't expect it... lots of times they will offer you so many months with like a $10 credit monthly.
D* has decided to charge the upfront cost, there's no way around it, they have invested a lot of money into these units, (if you bought it out right it would be around $ 700) I personally have done that already and was not ready to spend that much for a receiver again., I would imagine that D* is also taking money from these upfront cost and using it to pay some of the cost of the Sat's, at least I would.
I don't like the pricing D* is using either, but that said, it only cost $ 5 to lease, my local cable co. charges $ 18 p/m addl. for the use of the HD DVR., also, if you have trouble and it needs to be replaced for some reason, with the lease there is no charge.

Jimbo

Last edited:
lol

The other pending arrival is 7 weeks, not 9 months. :eek:

With that... D* is saying they'll give me the dish and the HR20 for $100. So I guess I'm doing OK.

Problem is, they're all sold out and have no idea when they'll have more.

ugh

First off, after reading the 1st two parts, I thought you were getting a BABY, with "the pending arrival and 9 months left !!!
Nice choise on your TV :)

Ok, come off the roof....
How long have you been with D* ?
Call them back and talk with whoever, explain to them that you would like to upgrade your equipment to the newer mpeg4, if thats the way you want to go.

Some are getting the HR20-700 for $200, I consider that a very fair price, (although it is a lease). If you get it for less, great, but don't expect it... lots of times they will offer you so many months with like a $10 credit monthly.
D* has decided to charge the upfront cost, there's no way around it, they have invested a lot of money into these units, (if you bought it out right it would be around $ 700) I personally have done that already and was not ready to spend that much for a receiver again., I would imagine that D* is also taking money from these upfront cost and using it to pay some of the cost of the Sat's, at least I would.
I don't like the pricing D* is using either, but that said, it only cost $ 5 to lease, my local cable co. charges $ 18 p/m addl. for the use of the HD DVR., also, if you have trouble and it needs to be replaced for some reason, with the lease there is no charge.

Jimbo

Mine was fre. I had gotten an HR10-250 and 3 lnb dish a few months ago (free) with the understanding that when the HR20 was available, they would swap out for the new DVR and a 5lnb dish for the 3lnb, at no charge. Because I wanted to move my HR10 to another TV, they had to charge me $299 for the HR20, billed in 3 payments, but they gavae me a offsetting $299 credit. soooooooo, I have both DVRs working and all for nothing.

I'd keep calling and see what they offer. If you don't like what they are willing to do, keep calling back until you get a CSR that will make you an offer you can't refuse.

I also got the NFL Super Fan package for the year for nothing.

I have had DTV for about 8 yrs or so, so having to do a new 2 yr contract was a no-brainer for me. I will NEVER go back to cable

lol

The other pending arrival is 7 weeks, not 9 months. :eek:

With that... D* is saying they'll give me the dish and the HR20 for $100. So I guess I'm doing OK.

Problem is, they're all sold out and have no idea when they'll have more.

ugh

that's a really good deal since i paid $99 for one of my R15's. but I'd still call back and try to get some free programming from then since you have to wait for your HR20.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts