What are my OTA recording opions?

jfoerch

Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
What are my OTA recording options?

Now that I have an HD TV and antenna setup that gets me great Digital and HD reception, what are my options for recording those channels? Up to now I've just use a standard VCR. Obviously that won't record in HD and it's not made to tune in the digital stations. What devices are available to record an over the air digital and HD signals? I prefer the self-contained hard drive type, but re-writable DVD's are OK with me too.

Last edited:
No love for Tivo or DVHS which also record in HD?

Unfortunately, it will be awhile before we see Blu-Ray set top recorders in the States which is ironic since Blu-Ray started life as a recording format. The same can be said for HD DVD recorders (however that's a given).

There are also plenty of DVD recorders with digital tuners. However, they record in 480i not any of the HD formats.

There are many options. Each Satellite provider has DVR's that record OTA HD.

There are stand-alone HD receivers that have built in HD recorders.

You can buy or built a Home Theater PC with an OTA HDTV tuner.

Later this year (julyish) Dish Network is coming our with the aforementioned TR-50. MSRP giesses are around $150-200.

There is HDTiVo (two flavors).

OTA and local subscription or Lack of and DVR

Hello Forum members, I have question about OTA and the program guide. I've been getting my locals OTA even though I pay for the locals from E*, because I like watching them in HD. So the news of Austin Locals being sent in HD from Dish was very pleasing news (this was the reason I was paying, knowing the Austin Locals should be coming soon - started service in Dec. 2007).

However, the Dish customer service informed me that I need a second Dish to get the locals. This was a little upsetting, because I (and my communities home owner's association) don't want my house becoming a Dish Sculpture garden. When I informed the Dish tech support to drop my local subscription, because I will stay with OTA, he said I would lose my program guide information if I don't subscribe to locals from Dish. This is a huge problem. I have the vip722 and I record network programs all the time. Was he correct about losing local program information without a subscription. And if so, what options would I have to use my DVR without the program guide.

Thanks for any help - KyleDish