What are the 5 Steps of Acquiring Signal

Agonizing Fury

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2008
On the Acquiring Signal Screen The receiver performs 5 steps (actually 6 if you count step 0). I've always been curious as to what exactly the receiver is doing during each of these steps? I assume one of them is checking the stream for available channels on each satellite in the check switch matrix, another is probably getting the current/next program information that is displayed even if you skip program guide download. Steps 4 & 5 usually go really fast so there can't be much going on there. Anyone know exactly what the receiver is doing during these steps? It would probably help for troubleshooting receivers that get stuck on certain steps, or for whatever reason count backwards occasionally.

You might want to watch the same screen when the LNBs are Legacy.

I haven't in a long time, but I believe there were around 32 steps.
I always assumed it had to do with testing the possible hookup variations of all the switches and LNBs.

Or am I thinking of a different screen?

You might want to watch the same screen when the LNBs are Legacy.

I haven't in a long time, but I believe there were around 32 steps.
I always assumed it had to do with testing the possible hookup variations of all the switches and LNBs.

Or am I thinking of a different screen?

Different screen: :)

Actually, with Legacy it's 38 steps, DP its 2, DPP its 3, and D1K.2 its 4

He's asking about the Acquiring Signal which goes from 1 to 5, not the Check Switch which goes from 1 to [2~38]. I too would like to know what it's actually doing.

He's asking about the Acquiring Signal which goes from 1 to 5, not the Check Switch which goes from 1 to [2~38]. I too would like to know what it's actually doing.

Me too, why can't it just wait for the signal to return, why does it change satellites and transponders and go through steps. Sometimes it gets stuck and I have to go to the menu to select the same channel to get a picture again on my 622s.

I have noticed that before Step 1 is completed, that the two check digits after the smart card and receiver number are missing. So, I imagine Step 1 is some kind of verification of the receiver and smart card numbers.

This screen wasn't around during the legacy receiver days. The 015 screen simply said acquiring satellite signal. I first saw these screens with the introduction of Dish Pro. So, I imagine one of the tests is checking for signals in 1650-2150 spectrum to confirm the presence of Dish Pro. Anyone got a legacy receiver they want to lose signal on and see if it's 015 screen has a 5 step process?

Another step might be a DP Plus check where the receiver attempts to communicate with the LNB and waits for response. That could possibly be a two step process right there if it was checking for any DPP switches/LNBs to route the correct requests on both the low side and the high side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)