What Are the Mets Thinking?

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
Okay, I have a question: are the Mets giving up before the season begins or and this is where I am leaning towards . . . is it only a matter of time the Wilpons file for bankruptcy due to the Madoff scam?

They do not seem to be buyers this off season and to screw up a depleted rotation over 1 year is not like them . . . I am going to laugh if they lose Perez as well . . .thoughts???

Oh yeah, why did I buy a partial season package?

I'm no genius but I highly doubt MLB would let a flagship team like the Mets file for bankruptcy. I'm sure they would find some type of funding to hold them over until things get worked out.

And I'm glad to hear you bought a partial season package. THIS is what will tell the tale of the '09 season league-wide...if there is money being spent on it now.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I know the team would not fold, but again, be interesting to ee how much Wilpons did lose and if this si affecting the offseason acquisitions

According to Wikipedia, when Joan Payson died, that left her husband in sole control of the team, a responsibility that he abdicated to his three daughters.

One of them, Sandra, eventually became a DirecTV satellite customer of mine until she died a few years ago. She had two "personal assistants" and she liked staging contests in which each one had to try to outjump the other.

It seems that this Miss Payson was having trouble with her cable TV. She had a cheap 19" TV connected to her Comcast box's RF output, but she would occasionally either accidentally change the TV off channel 3 or hit the A/V input button, and then she'd call the assistant who had arranged for the Comcast subscription at any hour of the night and she'd have to come down and straighten it out.

The other personal assistant contacted me to put in DirecTV without telling me why. Boy, was she disappointed when I completed the installation and she found that it connected to the TV the same way that the Comcast box did. She said she was going to be in big trouble for wasting money unless we could, A) make it so that the DirecTV couldn't inadvertently be disabled, and B) once we did that, conceal the fact that the same arrangement could have been worked out with Comcast.

I deleted all channels from the scan except channel 3, and then I put in a redundant, A/V connection, so if she hit channel up or down, it stayed on 3, and if she accidently hit "input" she'd get the same programming through the A/V input.

cjwct, I was going to start a thread like this because of what the Mets are not doing. Well, we are screwed!!!! The Braves get Lowe, the Phillies are going to be good, we will be lucky to be above the Nationals!!!! This could give you some solace:

Freddy Garcia May Sign Soon

By Tim Dierkes [January 14 at 1:16pm CST]
According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, free agent starter Freddy Garcia "is expected to make a deal in coming days." Heyman says the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, and White Sox are interested.
About a month ago, Jason Beck reported that an MRI on Garcia's arm revealed shoulder tightness but no structural damage.

He's not Johan Santana but he's pretty good. We need somebody because it's not a guarantee that Oliver Perez will resign.

Mets82 what about Sheets . . . thoughts? aside from injuries and making the contract contingent on innings, what do you think?

Mets82 . . . what did you think about what I said . . . do you think its because of the Wilpon's losing money?

To answer your first question, well, first, I don't think it's because there losing money. It just seems like sometimes the Mets don't want to go that extra mile to get somebody. To be fair, they got Putz and K-Rod but Derek Lowe should've come here. I mean to have him instead of Tim Redding is a no brainer. Give Lowe the extra dough!!!

Mets82 what about Sheets . . . thoughts? aside from injuries and making the contract contingent on innings, what do you think?

As far as Sheets, I really don't want him. As good as he is, he's too injury prone for me. If he was going to be my fifth starter then I would maybe take a chance but obviously he's not going to be my fifth starter.

Listen Sabres, here's the deal and real Met fans will admit it . . . September '08's collapse was a confirmation of what we already knew would happen but didn't want to admit thanks to the collapse in September of '07 . . . no Mets fan was shocked that we missed out on the playoffs; that collapse in '07 is synonymous with the MLB Lockout . . . Met fans have started to be less energetic and turn away knowing that inevitably we will collapse . . . this was their one shot to get fans back and caring but to bicker and complain about an additional year and $20 million to secure a formidable starting rotation is ridiculous, let alone allow the guy to go to your arch enemy . . . just plain ridiculous, stupid and Mets fan like myself are getting sick and tired or it . . . and this is a Mets fan since 1983

. . . and yes, I am starting to raise the white flag . . . we are in no way, shape or form right now to run alongside the Phillies . . . and the future with our latest signing decisions is not helping us catch up

I will forever and a day say that the Baseball Gods are getting back at Omar for the sh!tty way he treated Willie when he canned him out here in Anaheim. For that the Mets organization deserves to wallow in mire for awhile.

You know what . . . I forgot about that s*&t . . . you're right; mets let willie fly out, if memory serves me correctly, he managed that night and around 1 a.m. back at the hotel minaya fired him . . . you're right. . . . the baseball gods are angry!

Yeah, but that doesn' mean that the Gods have to take it out on us!!!! I mean if the Baseball Gods theory was true, the Yankees would have never won anything. They stunk in the early 90s but they've won World Series and made the playoffs 12 yrs. in a row!!!! That's when Steinbrenner was a complete ass in the 80s firing Martin, Berra, Martin etc. The Baseball Gods reward the Yankees with... 2 bad years in the early 90s and 4 World Championships in 5 yrs. and 12 yrs. in a row in the playoffs!!! The Mets would take half of that!!!

Come on Mets82 and cjwct. Don't give up. You don't know what frustration is unless you are a Phillies fan. Sure they are now World Champs now but remember they are the only team to lose 10,000 games. As far as being a Mets fan since 1983, I have been a Phillies fan since 1948. i even stuck with them through a twenty-three game losing streak. Cheered them on during the great collapse of '64 when they lost ten straight with, I think twelve to go. I am not a Mets fan but I look forward to another tight battle. Don't take it personal when your team loses. just get out there and enjoy the game. Good luck. Hope you finish second. Having said all this, I too get ticked off every time my team loses too. It does your soul good to vent. Keep your opinions going, it is great hearing from real fans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)