What are the odds this bill will pass?

Okay if you don't allow nearby dmas to fill in the stations that are missing, how about this as a solution for the dmas that are limited to one or two stations only?

1) First of all all hd dvrs and receivers should have the dual tuner ota modules included in them. If you live in these dmas with no locals from DISH , you have to have an hd dvr or hd dual tuner ota module receiver installed to get your locals.

2) Then DISH should do ota antenna installs STANDARD with these installs.

3) DISH should use Tribune media information for these ota stations so that the subs have guide data.

This keeps DISH from having to put the last dmas up on the satellite but the subs are still able to record up to 2 ota channels at the same time or watch a live ota channel if they just have a regular receiver. The key is to only provide dual ota tuner receivers like the 722k or 222k as standard install. It might cost DISH a little up front to do the antenna installs but I am sure that they can come up with an antenna fee that is monthly and is only $5.00 a month ,which is the same as people that have locals from DISH now.

they only have ABC & FOX

Fox is subchannels

NBC, Fox (subchannel) & PBS only

The translators in a county you can't count because they are low power and dont qualify for must carry and in a lot of examples they are owned not by the station but by local co-op's etc.

I noted in the post several nets listed were low powers and repeaters or carried by the same station. I'm not arguing E or anyone else should have to carry them. I was interested so I looked it up and tried to do a quick summary of what was available.

I am at the opposite corner of the county from Stamford.
Hartford is closer than NYC. We are less than 5 miles from the county line.

I want my CT locals not some inner city crap.

Before this week and chimpanzee story, do you think anyone could honestly tell you where Stamford CT is?
This chimpanzee story is the first CT story we've had in 2 years. CT gets 0 coverage in the NYC DMA.
But some little bodega in the boroughs gets a pack of cigarettes stolen and they get all of the coverage.

The FCC should never have let Neilson and its marketing scam designate our DMA's. Who do you think lined thier pockets with gold to get the premium DMA's and the head count associated with each county.
Look across the DMA"s you will see counties where a DMA does not encompass the entire county, only the areas closest to the metro area.
Communities and their local and state officials should dictate what is local.

Huh?
C'mon. That part of CT IS in the NY Metro area. Stamford is 40 miles as the crow flies from mid town Manhattan.
There are people in the Poconos that are in the NY DMA.
Geographically, the NY DMA is one of the smallest in in the country. Those living in the DMA's fringes have a legitimate beef. Sorry, but IMO those in close proximity to NYC should not complain.
I say this, if one is on need of nearby local channel repception, OTA is the way to go.

Think of it this way. I grew up in NJ. We were NYC dominated in the news until WWOR Moved to Secaucus. And even then NJ was all but ignored.

Last edited:
I am at the opposite corner of the county from Stamford.
Hartford is closer than NYC. We are less than 5 miles from the county line.

I want my CT locals not some inner city crap.

Before this week and chimpanzee story, do you think anyone could honestly tell you where Stamford CT is?
This chimpanzee story is the first CT story we've had in 2 years. CT gets 0 coverage in the NYC DMA.
But some little bodega in the boroughs gets a pack of cigarettes stolen and they get all of the coverage.

The FCC should never have let Neilson and its marketing scam designate our DMA's. Who do you think lined thier pockets with gold to get the premium DMA's and the head count associated with each county.
Look across the DMA"s you will see counties where a DMA does not encompass the entire county, only the areas closest to the metro area.
Communities and their local and state officials should dictate what is local.

Congress is the one that isn't allowing DBS companies the same rules as cablecos. I'm not a Nielson fan but they aren't the real problem. Maybe the DBS companies like having to provide only the primaries with some exceptions. It makes their life easier. I don't know. I think the law should be changed to be like the cablecos with signicantly viewed/distant options.

New York
Binghamton #157 (4 Counties) ABC, NBC, Fox
Elmira #175 (3 Counties) ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS?
Utica #169 (2½ Counties) All 4
Watertown *177 (3 Counties) CBS, Fox, ABC

Elmira does not have a CBS the nearest CBS affiliate is in Binghamton.

As in all such legislation I am sure there will be clauses (or loopholes if you prefer) that will allow both companies to apply for and be granted waivers.

Local Televison By Satellite From Adjacent DMA'S

I would like the FCC to change the rules as they pertain to satellite providers being able to broadcast television signals into an adjacent DMA whether or not the satellite providers offer local-into-local programming.

I urge the FCC to change the rules governing satellite carriage to insure that satellite providers "may carry" all television broadcast stations including networks, in the subscriber's area, without the necessity of waivers, regardless of state boundaries, whether or not the satellite providers offer local-into-local programming.

I live in Iowa and unable to get an adjacent DMA with the stations that I wish to receive by satellite due to the FCC ruling. I am unable to receive satisfactory reception from an outside antenna for either analog or digital. Therefore, I am limited to ABC, FOX and Public Television, NO CBS or NBC. The signals are already being broadcast so it seems it should be a minor adjustment in the system to permit those of us in the only 4 counties in the State of Iowa to receive the braodcast signals that the rest of the state is permitted to receive.

All interseting posts here. Just a couple comments; the DMA assignment and protected areas for local networks is all about the money. One of the posts mentioned a small percentage of the programming is local. True, so what do you miss if you receive networks from another DMA - local news and commercials. If network stations could get you to stay tuned in and just watch commercials it would happen. Thanks to DVR technology - my tv viewing is better. As for weather alerts, well during a storm that is bad enough to be concerned about - that is about the only time I lose the TV signal. That is what Radio is for, If you live in a high risk for storm area - you need a radio with batteries. One last thing the Slingbox; I was on vacation 1200 miles from home watching my local channels not long ago. Technology has far exceeded the silly goverment laws that tell us what we can and can't do with our own money. I pay taxes, I listen to radio from all over the world. I read the Chicago Tribune in Indianapolis. I should be able to buy whatever channel that technology makes available. Pass laws that allow free enterprise.
Competition is a good thing and stimulates new discoveries.
"Tell me I can't & I will find a way"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts