What are these NPS/IPTV rumors?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Hi All,
Does anyone know any detail on these rumors about NPS planning an IPTV program?

This would require a broadband connection right? ....and it would require CAT5 to my tv and some sort of new receiver?

Hi, i could be wrong, this is my opinion. I think they have been saying they want a common ground to receive programming on to sell to us via our cband dish because i think they dislike that powervu or other programming which requires them to reuplink. Im thinking they are not intending for us to switch out our recievers just yet :)

even if it was broadband to a reciever or broadbndmodem of a sort, it would still be coax coming out of that to your set or reciever, but that brings a question to my mind. can cat 5 handle digital data better than coax? if lnbs changed to have a cat 5 port and tv's alike, would it be a better picture?

even if it was broadband to a reciever or broadbndmodem of a sort, it would still be coax coming out of that to your set or reciever, but that brings a question to my mind. can cat 5 handle digital data better than coax? if lnbs changed to have a cat 5 port and tv's alike, would it be a better picture?

No. Run a Cat 5 signal anywhere close to outside a house and see what happens when lighting is anywhere in the area.

Lightening seems to LOVE phone wire so I would not be surprised if it was the same with CAT 5.

i gotta make one more comment on this IPTV stuff. I wish NPS wouldn't pursue it. The whole point of this dish for me, other than cool looks, was to cut out the middle man. I want to pull it straight off the bird, damnit! Give us PowerVu rights! Thats just not right! PowerVu was invented with Cband in mind. I guess NPS might be wanting it to not have to reuplink, but maybe the PQ will be better as a benefit, so, we'll see. Whenever the goverments and FCC see its cheaper to broadcast public television and cable TV thru the IPTV and skip on costs of fuel, licences, and satellite launches, THATS when i might get sad, and turn this 9 foot baby into a bird bath L-Band dish for seti, or a ham radio :) Then again, maybe thats my kids generation before they make that kind of change, go all fiber. Ahhh my brain hurts. Bet ya'll hate me and my pondering here....

By the time everything goes through the internet they might find a new use for satellite again or have more compression breakthroughs to make it possible to do a lot more with less bandwidth. Can they make compression advancements with the internet like they do television?

satellite is a much too valuable tool and will never disapear as a tv distribution platform. Compression schemes may change but it won't go anywhere.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts