What BS!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

daverp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Called DirecTv to inquire about replacing my SD DVR with a HD Receiver (non DVR). They quote a price of $99.99 plus $20 shipping. But they are willing to give me $50.00 off. But the lady then tells me this is an "advanced receiver" and will extend my contract by two years.

I have been though 6 HD DVR's in the last 20 months. I wasn't thrilled with idea of paying any money for their equipment but then they tell me the only way to replace the receiver is to extend my contract by two years.

Screw them!

Called DirecTv to inquire about replacing my SD DVR with a HD Receiver (non DVR). They quote a price of $99.99 plus $20 shipping. But they are willing to give me $50.00 off. But the lady then tells me this is an "advanced receiver" and will extend my contract by two years.

I have been though 6 HD DVR's in the last 20 months. I wasn't thrilled with idea of paying any money for their equipment but then they tell me the only way to replace the receiver is to extend my contract by two years.

Screw them!

That is common knowledge.
IF you upgrade from a SD to a HD or DVR you are upgrading from a Standard equipment to Advanced Equipment and YES there is a 2 year commitment for any advanced equipment, it's been this way for a long time now.

Replacing a HD with an HD would NOT activate a contract extension (meaning a replacement)

Jimbo

I agree with the previous post. Contract is normal. We all went through it when we upgraded. Sorry to say it but, you aren't any different or more special then Jimbo or I.

I agree with the previous post. Contract is normal. We all went through it when we upgraded. Sorry to say it but, you aren't any different or more special then Jimbo or I.

My problem is they don't offer you any options. If they gave you option to buy a receiver and not extend by two years, I wouldn't be happy but I'd understand. But giving you a choice of either no replacement or a two year contract extension is what I'm calling BS on!

You should be able to buy the receiver and avoid a contract but, they are hundreds of dollars. Most people don't want to "buy" the receiver so the reps don't discuss that option. I'm sure if you were to call and ask about buying a receiver rather then leasing with contact they would be happy to accommodate your request.

You should be able to buy the receiver and avoid a contract but, they are hundreds of dollars. Most people don't want to "buy" the receiver so the reps don't discuss that option. I'm sure if you were to call and ask about buying a receiver rather then leasing with contact they would be happy to accommodate your request.

I'll try that tomorrow and talk to someone different. I did ask but they told me there was no option to buy a receiver. They "only lease them".

Just make sure you have them register the unit as "owned" (If you make a full purchase) as many people have later complained about owned receivers being tagged leased. Wouldn't want you making another post about this in 8 months.

My problem is they don't offer you any options. If they gave you option to buy a receiver and not extend by two years, I wouldn't be happy but I'd understand. But giving you a choice of either no replacement or a two year contract extension is what I'm calling BS on!
Requiring a contract is their way to ensure they get most of their money back - they have more money into the hardware than you're paying.

Switch to Dish, and you'll end up with a 2 year contract. I just got a new cell phone with Verizon a couple weeks ago, and guess what? 2 year contract extension...

It's the customers that are constantly jumping providers for the next best deal that we all have to thank for the warranty requirements. They can extend my contract today and again tomorrow if they like - I'm not going anywhere.

There are tons of contract threads here - it's nothing new.

Requiring a contract is their way to ensure they get most of their money back - they have more money into the hardware than you're paying.

Switch to Dish, and you'll end up with a 2 year contract. I just got a new cell phone with Verizon a couple weeks ago, and guess what? 2 year contract extension...

It's the customers that are constantly jumping providers for the next best deal that we all have to thank for the warranty requirements. They can extend my contract today and again tomorrow if they like - I'm not going anywhere.

There are tons of contract threads here - it's nothing new.

Yep

I have been though 6 HD DVR's in the last 20 months.

This is the part that is frightening about the "owned" receivers. What if you sink $600 into a new wholly-owned DVR and it craps out 1 day after the manufacturers warranty? You're out $600 for the first and then another $600 for the replacement. Not so with the lease deal (and also suggest you go with the Protection Plan just to cover your bases). If it's leased, and it is faulty for any reason, guess what...you get a replacement for no charge and usually no contract extension.

But I absolutely agree with several of the above posters. I have been with D* since 2000 and have made multiple upgrades and had to "sign" contract extensions each time. No biggie. Still the best option for my tastes, and unless they show up at my house and beat up my puppy, I don't see me changing anytime soon. Obviously I would like to see some more national HD channels added, but I am not going to change providers simply because they offer a few channels that I don't get in HD from D*. In fact, it's probably better for my health if D* doesn't add anymore HD...I could find myself rooted into the barcalounger if I get too much more :D

This is the part that is frightening about the "owned" receivers. What if you sink $600 into a new wholly-owned DVR and it craps out 1 day after the manufacturers warranty? You're out $600 for the first and then another $600 for the replacement.

This is my problem. In general I'm very happy with the DirecTv service but I'm very unhappy with the quality of the hardware. I have no plans to switch as of yet and if they could show me their hardware would be reliable I have no issue extending my contract.

But as of right now I had an HR-20 that lasted for I think 8 months before it died while doing a software update, then over a period of the next 10 months I had 5 more HR-20 / HR-21's die. I Finlay got fed up and told them to send a tech on to replace the unit, I am done endlessly swapping their hardware. The tech replaced it with an HR-22 which has been good for about 2 months, this also fixed my odd lockup while connected to a network issue I was having.

The reliability issues is also why I wanted just a standard HD receiver and not a DVR. I can understand DVR's being an "advanced product" but a plain hd receiver should not.

This is my problem. In general I'm very happy with the DirecTv service but I'm very unhappy with the quality of the hardware. I have no plans to switch as of yet and if they could show me their hardware would be reliable I have no issue extending my contract.

But as of right now I had an HR-20 that lasted for I think 8 months before it died while doing a software update, then over a period of the next 10 months I had 5 more HR-20 / HR-21's die. I Finlay got fed up and told them to send a tech on to replace the unit, I am done endlessly swapping their hardware. The tech replaced it with an HR-22 which has been good for about 2 months, this also fixed my odd lockup while connected to a network issue I was having.

The reliability issues is also why I wanted just a standard HD receiver and not a DVR. I can understand DVR's being an "advanced product" but a plain hd receiver should not.

Daverp, what are you doing to those poor boxes;) There's got to be something in your setup/environment that's causing that many failures. I've had two HR20-700's for over two years now and still going strong. I did have a HR21-200 that I replaced because the RF mode on the remote didn't work (could have been because it was an early release/test box), other then that no problem with it, it's replacement or a HR22-100 I have. All of them are connected to a ethernet network and no lockup's. I did replace a H20-600 that bricked during a CE upgrade that had a warning with it that said it could break the receiver, which it did.

This is the part that is frightening about the "owned" receivers. What if you sink $600 into a new wholly-owned DVR and it craps out 1 day after the manufacturers warranty? You're out $600 for the first and then another $600 for the replacement.

That's why you can/should get the protection plan 30 days before the warranty runs out;)

That's why you can/should get the protection plan 30 days before the warranty runs out;)
True...but I like the peace of mind knowing that not only is the box covered for any reason, but all services calls (if nec.) are covered as well. For $5/mo, it's worth it considering it can cost $75 to get a tech on-site without the coverage.

HD is an advanced technology.Sorry.:(

Daverp, what are you doing to those poor boxes;) There's got to be something in your setup/environment that's causing that many failures. I've had two HR20-700's for over two years now and still going strong. I did have a HR21-200 that I replaced because the RF mode on the remote didn't work (could have been because it was an early release/test box), other then that no problem with it, it's replacement or a HR22-100 I have. All of them are connected to a ethernet network and no lockup's. I did replace a H20-600 that bricked during a CE upgrade that had a warning with it that said it could break the receiver, which it did.

One crashed during a software update, two where replaced for the same issue of them locking up every two to three days (which after the second they said this is a "known problem with the HR-20/21), one was a failed hard drive, one was an RMA the was bad out of the box (loud grinding noise), and one was, well I don't remember anymore.

It's nothing in my setup, I have no issue with any other equipment. Unless it's an LNB issue which I doubt. If the HR-22 I have now doesn't fail then it will confirm my suspicions that the RMA equipment they send out is the main problem.

I've noticed people who have hardware issues with D, are the ones who keep getting replacements. This wouldnt seem like coincidence. I've never had a hardware issue.. but we'll hear countless stories of people who do and replace 3 of more times. It doesnt add up.

I wish they made a better box available with more memory & faster chips & all the bells & whistles imaginable & would gladly pay extra for it if available; I even brought that up in their recent survey. The truth of the matter is that sometimes all the hardware in the world can't help if the software code is complicated or just not right. I've seen them take receiver dogs (Like my first H20) & via a software upgrade turn it into my fasted GI machine. I'm impressed with what they can do via software upgrades with these new boxes, other than that one bad night a few months ago where everyone's machines went out during prime time for a software upgrade.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)