What can be seen on a wifi network?

I use a VPN app (from VPNfire.com) whenever I am on open wifi. It encrypts everything sent from the iPad, so things that happen automatically like iMessage, mail checking, app checking, etc. all are encrypted.
Even if you're using VPN, you've also got a local connection that the VPN runs on top of, Ynless you route all traffic through the VPN gateway, your fooling yoruself.

I don't allow routing through the VPN as it would eat all the main office bandwidth to relay everyone's Internet traffic through the main router.

I use a VPN on my Iphone and wife's Ipad when we are connecting to the web using WiFi hot spots outside our home. VPNs encrypt all data and make it impossible, without cooperation (usually as the result of a warrant) of your VPN provider for anyone to tell who and what you are connected to. PPTP VPNs can be fairly easily blocked however by interferring with traffic destined to certain ports. China did this in December of 2012 and VPNs using PPTP would not work until some VPN providers came up with a work around. If your employer's network blocks certain types of services or web sites a VPN probably can get around the block, but because of the overhead encrypting the data your connection will be slowed down.

Last summer I stayed in a hotel with great internet speed, but they had blocked streaming video. Using the VPN on my laptop I was able to watch Netflix. On my computers I run OpenVPN which can not be blocked as easily so even if the hotel wanted to block VPNs they probably could not have blocked my connection.

Even if you're using VPN, you've also got a local connection that the VPN runs on top of, Ynless you route all traffic through the VPN gateway, your fooling yoruself.

I don't allow routing through the VPN as it would eat all the main office bandwidth to relay everyone's Internet traffic through the main router.

It puts the ipad on a separate IP address of the VPN. All the iPad traffic then goes through the VPN to their server then out to the internet. You still use the local WiFi to send the VPN traffic to their server, but it is a bunch of encrypted packets. I used it in Europe to watch Amazon VOD since it only works in the US, Amazon saw a US ip address.

Generally, anything you produce while on the clock is considered work product.............and belongs to your employer. Be careful what activities you engage in while on the job, including writings and messages you produce of a personal nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)