What can I be doing wrong?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

skyscanner4ever

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Beaumont,Texas
Ok when I put the dish on the roof mount somehow the mount moved a little bit and went out of level. I went ahead and scan the skies and was getting excellent quality between 83 to 107.3.

I wasnt satisfied! I dont like doing things wrong, so today what I did was adjust the mount by hand with dish and motor attached, I actually used a couple bricks and wedged them in greatly to hold the mount just right. I have one of those bubble levels that fit inside the top of the pole, I also used a angle level. I had it perfectly level according to the round circle level and on my angle level i was at about half a degree off, however I am only using that to align the top of the pole, however doesnt the bubble level inside the pole mount top supposed to tell me the pole is aligned?

here is what i did step by step, if I missed something or did it wrong please tell me! I am getting my microhd in the morning and want to have this thing perfectly tuned from 72 to 125.

ok

1. I got the pole perfectly level, now I used the level that came with the mount on the top, i was perfect according to that, however because of the motor attachment I couldnt level the sides of the pole, but the level I have at the top should do it all. right? because if i go left or right it goes out and top to bottom.

2. I set my motor to 30. my latitude is 29.94 here my zip is 77619 and i read that the lat on the motor is the same as my latitude.

3. on the receiver, (pansat 3500) I went to satellite 93.1, which is my due south sat as my longitude is 93.9 here. I used to use 95 sat because my longitude use to be exactly 95!

4. I set the motor back to 0. right at 0, I used a small mirror to get under the dish and look and i moved right to 0.

5.i aimed at 93 satellite galaxy25 and used the wright patterson transponder because it is not the strongest, and I tuned it in to 68-72 signal, the strong tp on there was hitting mid to high 90's.

6. i tightened everything down, checked the mount, added my lat and longitude on the usals receiver option and stored it then set to galaxy 3c. ok i used usals and it went there perfectly, went to 97,99,and also 91 perfectly using the usals option, I was happy, however I had to manually tune in 83-89, I got better on 83, I was hitting amc 9 rtv at around 80 pct! however I added the strongest tps for amc 6 and i went all around the area and nothing! at least an hour, slow, fast,medium speed, 1 degree jumps, lol, nothing! No trees in the way, and I know i can hit it because I once hit a tp on there at around 90 but not now so i know there is no obstruction!

I drove out and hit 105 really well, 89 on my highest, but I coudnt get anything on 123 or 125, again I know there is no blockage because when i was messing with the elevation before i hit pbs at about 70 over there on 125.

Ok am i missing something? I mean my lnb is skewed right at 0, do you think my pansat is flaking out? At times, especially on 83 I move the dish there and it waits like a full minute to come up with the signal quality! I am only using about 30 ft of rg6 cable as the dish is right outside my window! I am so frustrated at this, I know i can set up off level even and hit 72 to 103 greatly, but i want the whole arc and i want to do it the right way! I have setup tons of these but always on a pole, i leveled all sides on poles because i concreted them first and know they cant move when i add the dish and motor, do you think this pole level is not right? Is there any pointers on how i can level the sides with the motor attached?

I dont know, I wish i had another lnb i could swap out and see if it is that too, i am using a sadoun 0.4 fss lnb. I bought it used so maybe it is a few years old.

do any of you see what i might have missed? is there anything different you should do when your south satellite is .8 degrees farther than your longitude? as i said, i used to have the same exact longitude as my south sat right at 95, so when i set it up it was exactly straight.

I'm not sure whether 0.8 degrees is enough to account for the errors you're seeing, but, what you should be doing is having the receiver drive the dish to 93.1, then tweaking the dish. It sounds like you're tweaking the dish for 93.1 while the motor is at 0, when the motor should actually be at 0.8.

I am in a wild mood, so just grin and ignore...... What did I do wrong? Answer from wife: "You got up this morning........." ....... "on the wrong side of the bed?" --- which would mean I had to got through the wall, since the bed is built into the wall.

Couple of thoughts...

Use the "Go To Reference" function on the receiver (it should be somewhere in the motor menu) to drive the dish to '0'. Use the mirror trick again to verify that the motor went to '0'.

Select USALS, and go to a satellite close to your True South. The motor should move to that satellite. Select a strong transponder, and aim the dish there. Fine tune both azimuth (move the entire motor/dish assembly left and right on the pole until you get strongest signal) and DISH elevation (only the elevation on the dish, don't touch the motor elevation, which should stay at your latitude on the latitude scale). After you've achieved the best quality reading, lock everything down, and go to another satellite further away. Check to see if you're still aimed properly. Go to a satellite on the opposite side of the arc, and check again.

1. I got the pole perfectly level, now I used the level that came with the mount on the top, i was perfect according to that, however because of the motor attachment I couldnt level the sides of the pole, but the level I have at the top should do it all. right? because if i go left or right it goes out and top to bottom.

It's not important that the top of the mount/pole is level. There is no guarantee that the top of the pole was cut at a 90 degree angle to the walls of the pole. What is important is that the sides are plumb, straight up and down. Check this in three places, approximately 120 degrees apart.

Any bit of tilt from one side to the other causes the mount to go out of plumb and you won't track the arc completely. Tracking depends on a plumb pole. Otherwise you scratch your head for hours (or worse: days) wondering why it works for some satellites but you can't get others.

Well thanks so much guys! I ended up just taking the whole things off the mount and adding a few self tapping screws to the mount to keep it from moving at all when i put the dish on.

I am so happy! I just got my microhd and with my new leveled mount and setup and using the tips by you guys like the moving motor .8 degrees and such I am not hitting my middle sats in the 80's which is great it looks for the micro, and i scanned out to 125 and am getting tps out there on 123 and 125 in the 70's and 80's! I know now that i have to be tuned in great because i am hitting them! They are off a hair on the usals, but I am 1.2ing them in and whatever works, works for me!

I am amazed at this unit. totally amazed! hd pic looks great! And all the channels and tps i have never seen on sd now comes to life! Cant wait for tomorrow to see if i can pull in some games! I love my texans, but gonna see if i can also get some other games.

I tried the dvr or pvr and bought a 16 gig drive and so far i like what i see from it too!

Thanks guys! I appreciate it greatly!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts