What channel would you like the most via an ala carte platform?

What channel would you like the most?

• USA

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Disney

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • TNT

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Fox News

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • TBS

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • A&E

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • ABC Family

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • ESPN and ESPN2

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Comedy Central

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Discovery Channel

Votes: 12 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Posting Poll for market research to see what people would buy ala carte.

Thanks for your help

I would love to be able to purchase only Fox News Channel again like I did with the 4DTV. Even then, I had to purchase CNN/HLN and Fox News Channel to get it A-La-Carte so to speak. :)

Just a thought....are we talking X4 Cband or pizza?

Good question

Neither. New Service doing market research about the feasibility of uplinking channels on a ku bird using a new CAS.

It's a nice thought, but they won't be able to come up with the programming without some BIG numbers and really deep pockets.
How many months has it been since that other 'rumor' of a new service was announced?

Economic Reality

Cable companies and satellite dish pay tv companies know that most of us only want a few channels. They also know that for them to make money they have to offer us heaps of channels so that they can satisfy their customers, the advertisers. We, the viewers, are merely a third party in this business.:(

It's a nice thought, but they won't be able to come up with the programming without some BIG numbers and really deep pockets.
How many months has it been since that other 'rumor' of a new service was announced?

I would have to disagree with you. The cost to uplink a few channels is not that crazy.

The problem is signing a carriage agreement (Not very hard) However getting them to accept a CAS from the EU is hard.

Its worth a try the worst thing is nothing will happen. I would agree with you that if you try to start with 20 channels your cash burn will be too high.

Cable companies and satellite dish pay tv companies know that most of us only want a few channels.
They also know that for them to make money they have to offer us heaps of channels so that they can satisfy their customers, the advertisers.
We, the viewers, are merely a third party in this business.:(
I believe there is an additional problem.
Those with the channels want the satellite or cable company to carry ALL the channels they offer.
So, for HBO, that would include Cinemax.
For Showtime, that would include Stars.
And if you think Oprah and her new channel is easy pickings, I'll bet she's in bed with (bundled) some major network, too!

I don't think the carrier -can- really just cherry pick the favorite channels.
If he could, that would mean some of the useless channels wouldn't be carried, and they'd die out!

A good example to look at is Sky Angel and what national channels they offer on their internet package. They were able to negotiate for Fox News, Fox Business, The Weather Channnel, Versus, and a few others. I'm sure they wanted more but those networks probably didn't want to offer it for cheap. The real problem is that at bare minimum you're going to need $10,000 a month to get a channel on the satellite in acceptable quality. Probably another $10,000 to run the company so you would need 4,000 subscribers at $5 to cover the channel each month.

EDIT: With those numbers I mean a real shoestring operation like those guys in Indiana or Ohio were trying to do last year with the new service that fell apart. You basically have a one or two man operation that farms out all the work to an uplink service.

Last edited:
Anole said:
I don't think the carrier -can- really just cherry pick the favorite channels.
If he could, that would mean some of the useless channels wouldn't be carried, and they'd die out!
I agree wholeheartedly.

But isn't that the point of the marketplace? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.