What day should I switch packages?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryansebiz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I've been a DTV customer for one year and, now that my package promotion is running out, I'd like to switch from the Choice Xtra ($69/month) to Select Classic ($42/month). My first bill was for Aug 15 - Sep 14, 2011 and my current (12th) bill is from Jul 15 - Aug 14, 2012.

My question is, what day at the latest should I call to avoid being charged for another month of Choice Xtra?

packages change when you call.

Select Classic is only availble by retention and note if you are getting HD for free you will probably lose that and have to pay $10 more

Select Classic is only availble by retention and note if you are getting HD for free you will probably lose that and have to pay $10 more

When you say by retention, does that mean Select Classic is only available when my two-year agreement ends? Sounds like Entertainment is my next-best option - would I still get free HD if I downgraded to that package?

Thanks for your help Iceberg.

I dont know if you can change to that during your commitment (the 1st one) but you mention your 1 year promos are ending so if you switched to a retention only offer all you would do is forfeit any monthly credits for the package

As to downgrading to Entertainment check with Directv (twice honestly). The rules for the free HD vary depending on when you signed up and such. As example for me the only rule for free HD was auto pay (I was already a customer and added it). Called to switch to Entertainment and found out Choice was the lowest package I could go to get the free HD.

Some customers Chocie Xtra is minimum. Best to call and ask

I just went through this myself. You lose free HD on the Entertainment package. You need to go through retention to get an obsolete package like Select Classic if that's still even possible. Entertainment and Total Choice are going to cost exactly the same factoring in the loss of free HD. So you may as well bite the bullet and get Total Choice at least.

Also, it doesn't matter when you change packages because partial months are pro-rated.

I'll call twice and ask what the lowest threshold for the free HD is. Hopefully it's Choice and not Choice Xtra. Too bad I can't get Select Classic or Entertainment with free HD :(

Thanks for the replies Iceberg and mdavej.

Good news! I called today and was able to get the Entertainment package ($55 a month) with free HD. I was told all I need to do to keep the free HD was to remain on auto bill pay.

All we really watch is ESPN, AMC, TNT, USA and the major broadcast networks, so this is perfect for us.

Last edited:
are you sure you kept the free HD?

I'm on auto pay and was told I needed Choice as minimum package. I've been a sub for 2 1/2 years now and got the HD credit about 18 months ago.
I thought of switching down to save money but they told me I couldnt get that package and keep the HD

I think the CSR just told you what you wanted to hear. The written policy says the Ent. pack is ineligible.

Hmm, well, here's what happened. I called on July 20 and asked "what is the cheapest package that is still eligible for free HD?" The CSR said that Entertainment was the cheapest. We then reviewed the price differences between Entertainment and Choice Xtra and I asked her to confirm that Entertainment was eligible for free HD and she said yes.

I just checked my account online and here are the latest transactions:

07/30/2012 - Advanced Receiver-HD - Disconnect Adj - ($5.33) - $0.00
07/30/2012 - Advanced Receiver-HD - Charge - $5.33 - $0.00
07/30/2012 - CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC - Disconnect Adj - ($36.79) - $0.00
07/30/2012 - ENTERTAINMENT - Charge - $29.33 - $0.00
07/30/2012 - Payment - CCard - ($42.99) - $0.00

I sent an email asking to confirm that I'm receiving free HD with the Entertainment package. Is that enough or should I call again?

I think the CSR just told you what you wanted to hear. The written policy says the Ent. pack is ineligible.

Man I hope that's not the case. Just curious, do you know of a link to that policy?

Last edited:
I just looked at my bill to see what it shows

On mine it has Advanced Receiver-HD for $10 then in the credits it says
Advanced Receiver-HD -10.00
24 Months Free HD Access

That above is just the $10 HD fee credited (since you switched plans) and debited (for the new plan)......you will have ot wait until the bill prints (after Aug 14th) to verify the credit
Hopefully its still on there

Man I hope that's not the case. Just curious, do you know of a link to that policy?

I wish I could find it. I went to the web archive and unfortunately when I click on the "more details" it wont show. All it says (I went to the July 16th, 2011 page) says "AUTO PAY REQUIRED".....BUT the minimum package is Choice which at the time was the lowest to get Free HD. Thats how its been communicated to me when I tried that

Now it says "$10 CREDIT OFFER: Customers activating and maintaining the ENTERTAINMENT Package or above along with an HD DVR and enrollment in Auto Bill Pay will receive an additional $10 bill credit for 24 months."

I emailed them and got this reply:

To stay eligible for the offer, you should keep auto pay and maintain CHOICE XTRA™ and above package. I apologize for the miscommunication and for the inconvenience this may have caused you. However, since your package falls below CHOICE XTRA™, you are no longer eligible for the offer on your upcoming bills.

On the other hand, though there is a partial credit for Advanced Receiver-HD, a partial charge for the same amount also posted, so you are still getting Advanced Receiver-HD.

Even if the offer was removed, you will still continue to get channels in your programming package in breathtaking HD. And with auto pay, you will never need to worry about forgetting a payment for it will make sure that your account is always up to date.

I'm confused by this response. The first two paragraphs seem to contradict each other.

Now it says "$10 CREDIT OFFER: Customers activating and maintaining the ENTERTAINMENT Package or above along with an HD DVR and enrollment in Auto Bill Pay will receive an additional $10 bill credit for 24 months."

Would you recommend waiting until my next bill, holding out hope that I'm still eligible for the free HD with the Entertainment package? Or should I call and switch to Choice Xtra?

the info you were given above does contradict each other. The issue is when someone adds "free HD" the package minimum is what the agreement says
-for me apparently it was Choice (lowest package at the time)
-for some new subs last year Xtra was the minimum
-now Entertainment is

Would you recommend waiting until my next bill, holding out hope that I'm still eligible for the free HD with the Entertainment package?
[
thats your call. You could wait and if they bill you for partial HD call and raise holy heck. Or you could call now and change it back

did you call them to verify or are you just waiting until the bill prints?

Yeah, I'm just going to roll the dice and see what happens with my bill. I'll be sure to post back when the bill's available.

Sigh - got my bill today and they did charge me $10 for HD. Will call to try and get it removed and upgrade my package to Choice.

"...I apologize for the miscommunication and for the inconvenience this may have caused you..."
It's funny I actually received a response like this when I was in the process of considering a go from Select to Entertainment.

I could of swore that my signed-in Packages information claimed that HD would be free w/ Entertainment. (paying $10 now for HD on Select, & there was a $10 base difference from Select to Entertainment) So I emailed them and once or twice they told me it was free until later in correspondence a representative apologized...

Since then the packages page, I think, no longer says HD included for Entertainment. But then again it may have been that way all along with the only place it was included was on the page where you're not signed-in (new customers deal?).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)