What dish do I need?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

charlie460

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
N/A
I am a current subscriber to DirecTV, I was wondering if it was possible (can't see why it wouldn't be) to install a dish myself at another location, and connect a receiver I already have activated at a different location to the dish I've installed myself at a second location.

Surely there's no reason why I couldn't do this?

What I'm really wondering is what kind of dish I'd need to buy, as cheap as possible, to get all the HDs I subscribe to, etc.

while you can do that you cant keep the receiver at another location permanently. That is called Account splitting which is a no-no

Now if you take it with you to the cabin for the weekend and bring it back, then thats OK

while you can do that you cant keep the receiver at another location permanently. That is called Account splitting which is a no-no

Now if you take it with you to the cabin for the weekend and bring it back, then thats OK

Fair enough. Could you recommend me what kind of dish I'd need to install? Would this dish work? Amazon.com: DX Antenna DSA-20MA DirecTV Multisatellite Dish with HDTV and Multiroom Capability: Electronics

That's something I'm clueless about.

Well what do you currently have for a setup?

You mention HD in your original post so I assume you have HD ;) but there are 2 setups and it depends on how many receivers you have? Do you have a SWM setup which is one line from the dish to a switch that looks like a splitter? Or is it a non-SWM setup so you need up to 4 lines from the LNB to a different type of switch?

Or maybe this is easier. If you have a DVR is one line hooked up from the dish or two?

side note: that dish you linked to wont work. HD is no longer on 110. You need a slimline dish. The setup depends again on what you currently have. While you could just get a setup that is different than what you have right now and run the satellite setup each time, it would be easier to get the same setup.

Right now I have a non-SWM setup at home... The second location would only have one HD reciever.

So get a non SWM dish setup for the cabin and take the receiver with you. Remember to take the BBC connectors to get the HD ;)

Should be good to go. Like mentioned above make sure you get b-band convertors.
What receiver would you hook up to this dish?

For now, just an H20 (already have b-band converter.)

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject, but is it correct that I can run a receiver off each LNB without a multiswitch (i.e. if I have 3 LNBs, I can use 3 recievers without getting a multiswitch)

Already have 3 rg6 runs to where the dish will be installed, so think I'm good to go!

Correct. You can run 3 straight from lnb to boxes. No switch needed. I did that just yesterday, 3 boxes also.

Still prefer a swm anyway to doing it that way though.

Last edited:
Correct. You can run 3 straight from lnb to boxes. No switch needed. I did that just yesterday, 3 boxes also.

Still prefer a swm anyway to doing it that way though.

I'd go with an SWM setup but I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible... I can get a slimline dish with 3 LNBs for $65 shipped. Trying to keep away any extra costs.

Just be aware that you may not get your local network affiliates if you're beyond the spotbeam. I live in greater Cincy and have gotten (SD) as far as 150 miles south. HD may be more restrictive (or not... I'm not sure.) :cool:

NY Locals as I understand it are not spot beamed but broadcast nationally (the 4 major networks, at least) for people eligible for distant networks so that won't be a problem :)

See if you guys can help me here... a buddy of mine says he has an old DirecTV dish that is no longer in use he'd be willing to give me, but I can't tell if it's a slimline or not.

He sent me this picture:
1uU1k.jpg

It's the one in the foreground. Can you tell?

Did some research myself and it looks like an old "sidecar" slimline dish, aka the second found on this site: http://support.directv.com/app/answ...information-about-your-directv-satellite-dish

Would that be fine to use?

Last edited:
See if you guys can help me here... a buddy of mine says he has an old DirecTV dish that is no longer in use he'd be willing to give me, but I can't tell if it's a slimline or not.

He sent me this picture:
1uU1k.jpg

It's the one in the foreground. Can you tell?

Did some research myself and it looks like an old "sidecar" slimline dish, aka the second found on this site: DIRECTV Information about your DIRECTV satellite dish

Would that be fine to use?

Provided your NOT going to do the SWM, then YES you can use that dish, it will get you the 99, 101 and 103 (core programming and the 2 Sats for HD) as well as the 110 and 119, which you won't find much on anymore.

One more question. His dish is mounted on a pole, is it possible to remove it from the pole and mount it on the side of the house? Is it possible to just buy the part that allows you to mount it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts