What do I need and how to do it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kbounds

Original poster
Mar 18, 2006
First let me state that I have set up and installed several single and dual lnb installations however I have not come across the following senerio yet, until now.

I'm in area code 30824 (Augusta, GA). I want to get normal (non HD) programming and local channels. I previously had a dual LNB set up at this location but it would not get local channels. In discussions with DTV they stated that locals were on a different bird (72.5) and that I would need an oval dish to recieve. I already had a round 18", dual lnb.

I went out and purchased an oval triple lnb with a zinwell 4x8 switch.

My questions:

Do I have the right equipment?
Which dish should I point where?
Can I take two leads from each dish and connect them to the zinwell switch? (one each to the 13v and 18v inputs)

I have attempted for 2 months to get an installer out here to no success. No one will return calls or they are out of business (I have my own equipment). I would have paid for this to be done but now am resolved to do it myself.

I guess I don't really understand how the 72.5 bird fits in this equation (or if it applies to me at all)

Thanks in advance for any help.

your zip covers 3 counties, it looks as though one county is a partial DMA, either way you need the 72.5 sat on top of the 101 sat (two 18" dishes) you are not a primary market, the locals are on the 72.5 sat.

the phase 3 complicates the multiswitch issue, but it will work. the 72.5 has to go to a flex port on the switch.

any one else want to try this one?

The installation location is in McDuffie County.

Would this be easier if I just used 2 dual lnb dishes connected to the zinwell 4803 4x8 switch?

I'm not educated on what a flex port is.

Thx

I would get two round (18") dishes and aim one at 101 and the other at 72.5. Then get either of the following two multiswitches. The following two switches have two flex ports. The 101 dish would have a dual LNB and the 72.5 would have a single LNB. The 101 dish would have two cables running into the first two ports labled 101. The 72.5 would have 1 cable running into Flex port 1 on the multi switches. That would be an ideal setup.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=02&CAT=&PROD=WB68
or
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=2&CAT=&PROD=SAM-6802

Last edited:
Ok, since I'm in a similar boat can I get your advice on this one?

Columbia, MO DMA (72.5)

4 x Hughes SD-DVR40 (8 ports total)

Will I need 101, 110 & 72.5 or just 101 & 72.5?

Can I use any old 18" D* single LNB dish for my 72.5?

What switch will accomodate this configuration?

phat_bastard said:
Ok, since I'm in a similar boat can I get your advice on this one?

Columbia, MO DMA (72.5)

4 x Hughes SD-DVR40 (8 ports total)

Will I need 101, 110 & 72.5 or just 101 & 72.5?

Can I use any old 18" D* single LNB dish for my 72.5?

What switch will accomodate this configuration?

101 & 72.5

yes any 18 will do

any 5X8 or 6X8 will work

I've asked two other installers in addition to asking on the forum at D*'s site, and you're the first not to say I need a phase III because of the Tivos.

So I can just plop my old dual (output, single) LNB dish up pointing at 101 & another single at 72.5, add a 5x8 and I'm good to go?

Sweet, thanks for your help! Had I followed everyone else's advice I'd have just dropped a benjy for a phase III. As luck would have it, I just happen to have a friend with an extra 5x8 that thinks he owes me a favor, so problem solved. :)

Last edited:
The freebee switch my friend gave me is a Dynex DX-MS101. It's labeled a 5x8, but it only has four sat inputs. Of those, two are labeled for the 101 sat - 13v/18v 0hz, and the other two are labeled for 110/119 - 13v/18v 22khz. It doesn't appear to have any inputs labeled 'flex'. Will this work???

NO! This switch is desined to have a tripp,e LNB sish hooked up with an off-air antenna connected as well. You nee one of the two switches listed on post 4. Then use flex port 1.

The guy that gave me the switch told me it would work with the 72.5 LNB connected to one of the Line B (110 / 119) ports, so I'm totally confused on this. I was planning on taking down my E* superdish and putting my 101 dish up on that mount on a saturday, so I'd really like to have all the parts I need ahead of time so I don't end up running to a retail store on a weekend and paying an exhorbitant price for something just to get TV working (shut the wife up). Has anyone used one of these switches in this configuration?

Status
Please reply by conversation.