What do I need for 4K?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

curtishd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I am due for an upgrade this summer and I would like to upgrade to a 4k set up. I currently have several hd dvr receivers and a genie (original genie, can't remember the model).
What will I need for a 4k system this summer?

I would hold off as the LNB and HR54 is still not released nationwide. Keep an eye out here as we will be the first ones to let you know when that changes.

BTW I am hearing that they are going to start using the model number HR54K on their workorders for people getting installed who actually have 4K TV's.

How does one combine this 4K setup if one has an International sub via 3' DTV dish & lnb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need to wait until the 5LNB Reverse LNB is available. (They have been having trouble with them) only the 3LNB Reverse LNB is being installed now in select areas.)

The 5lnb reverse LNB won't help. There is no way to get the international channels (from 95) with any SWM system. There are continuing rumors the channels will be moved to one of the 99/101/103 satellites but until then you are out of luck.

I chatted a little while ago with DirecTV and tried to use my protection plan upgrade to replace my HR34 with an HR54 and add a C61K client. No dice. While at first they held that there was no difference in the two, he finally conceded there were differences, but still would not upgrade it. He suggested I have a tech come out but I doubt they have the HR54 in this area yet, so I will wait a while.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
How does one combine this 4K setup if one has an International sub via 3' DTV dish & lnb?

Right now there is no solution... but one is coming. I have been asking this question as I sub to Korean programming on the 95, Spanish programming on 110 & 119 and 4k. In my setup I would need every slot. When the LNB is available nationally in April and live 4k programming is launched, I plan on upgrading especially if the programming is on reverse band frequencies and I hope they have some sort of solution then, otherwise I am going to start escalating up and asking for credits! :D

Do you really think that when they are ready to launch a 4K UHD channel they are going to say OK you people with a Genie and C61K you need to upgrade equipment ASAP?
I have to believe that the first few 4K UHD channels will be available with existing equipment and upgrades will be rolled out accordingly.
I think folks with a Genie and C61K will be just fine for the first few launches.

Unfortunately I believe you are correct. They do not want to turn loose of any new equipment. I am becoming more and more frustrated with them.

I do not know why they continue to show upgrade to the latest equipment with the protection plan and then they will not upgrade you. I understand they consider all Genies the same, but we all know they are not.

You'll almost certainly need an HR54 along with a C61K. But linear 4K hasn't happened yet, and my guess is there will be a special upgrade program when it happens. Until there is a program, the CSRs won't give you an HR54. In any case they are not available in all geographies yet.
Why are you complaining about something that has not even been announced?

Sorry but, It's the principle of advertising the upgrades to the latest equipment. If they are going to advertise it on your account they should stand by it. I have been with them for over 21 years. I really do not think I am asking for that much considering I have purchased all of the recievers I have had in those 21 years except for three. I do think "I WANT MORE" is correct.

I will have to decide whether to keep the HR34, purchase a HR54, or wait forever to see what happens when/if 4K happens.

Do you really think that when they are ready to launch a 4K UHD channel they are going to say OK you people with a Genie and C61K you need to upgrade equipment ASAP?
I have to believe that the first few 4K UHD channels will be available with existing equipment and upgrades will be rolled out accordingly.
I think folks with a Genie and C61K will be just fine for the first few launches.

Yes, Not many 4k setups out there and reverse band is the supported platform for 4k. It's cost effective to have everyone upgrade right away before more subs get on the 4k bandwagon. Why would they invest all of this money into reverse band to not launch it? They may do one transponder for initial launch, (Between now and april) but reverse band is going to be the platform they do 4k on.

So is April supposed to be the launch date now? The rumor of a live 4K channel in January did not pan out.

So is April supposed to be the launch date now? The rumor of a live 4K channel in January did not pan out.

April has always been the solid date for the Masters. There never was a January rumor. That rumor was that the super bowl would be replayed in 4k Feburary some time, or even live. But it was only that a rumor and not set in stone. It still can happen.

Right now there is no solution... but one is coming. I have been asking this question as I sub to Korean programming on the 95, Spanish programming on 110 & 119 and 4k. In my setup I would need every slot. When the LNB is available nationally in April and live 4k programming is launched, I plan on upgrading especially if the programming is on reverse band frequencies and I hope they have some sort of solution then, otherwise I am going to start escalating up and asking for credits! :D
Would not make sense if DirecTV dropped all services on 95° without moving them to 99°, 101° or 103° once Linear 4K is implemented.

April has always been the solid date for the Masters. There never was a January rumor. That rumor was that the super bowl would be replayed in 4k Feburary some time, or even live. But it was only that a rumor and not set in stone. It still can happen.
The latest is the first transmission will be with the Northern Trust Open Feb 17-21th. It will not require the Reverse Band lnb to receive it. It will be shown on channel 9801. There is currently 4K programming on ch. 1102. With just the HR54, I currently can't see that channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.