what do I need for FTA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hoss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Glendale, AZ
Hi,
I guess I am on information overload after looking over all these posts regarding this free-to-air subject. I just hooked up an extra 18 inch dish and receiver that is now picking up directv. Now, if I want to go the free-to-air route with this extra dish what do I need? I obviously need a FTA receiver (I was thinking of the Pansat 2500), but how am I going to aim the dish at the various satellites with a dish that is not motorized? Do I need to get some sort of satellite aiming device? Also, is it possible to split the signal with the signal going to both the directv receiver and the FTA receiver? Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello Hoss welcome to the FTA area of SatelliteGuys.US!

I guess you have seen the FAQ section...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=25452

Unless you like soccer and a few radio channels there is not a whole bunch to watch with a small dish thats FTA, you will really need 30" dish minimum to get all the KU offerings after investing in a receiver, and there is no way to split the signal, DirecTV use a different format so the is NOTHING there FTA, hope this helps keep the questions coming : )

Hoss said:
but how am I going to aim the dish at the various satellites with a dish that is not motorized?
One at a time. :)

Hoss said:
Do I need to get some sort of satellite aiming device?
Yes, a compass. For example, go to my favorite aiming page http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Satellite-Heading-Calculator.htm pick your city and the satellite you want, then let it compute the numbers. Make the appropriate magnetic deviance adjustment for your location, and you know where to start pointing.

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I know there is very little that the 18" dish can pick up, but I just wanted to tinker a bit with the extra dish. Thanks again for the help.

Anytime Hoss, still well worth it for the soccer alone (GOL TV), then there is radio and NASA, if you want to tinker its a great hobby!

Hi,
One last question (for now) - what kind of FTA receiver do you recommend for my 18" dish. I just want to tinker so I really do not need anything fancy. Would a Pansat 2500 do the trick? So, I will be ready to go once I get a receiver and a compass (along with the aiming information)? This should be kind of fun and I may as well use that spare dish that has been in my garage for several years.

I just got a Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra to try out its SWEET! But the Pansat will work, but if you intend just to tinker I would go with a Satwork 3618 as its got the blind scan and has a great picture, and should be alot cheaper, but I would do some more reading as the hobby is very addictive and as soon as you get a receiver you will soon want one that does it all : )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)