What do I need to add 61.5

HalfFull

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Hi,

I live in Norfolk and want to prepare for HD locals. I currently have a DP1000 with 3 LNBs pointed at 110/119/129. To get LOS to 61.5, I need to install another small dish in different location on my property.

I have one HD receiver and one SD receiver. Am assuming I will need one small dish for 61.5 and some sort of switch? Any specific devices?

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks much.

Do you need to keep 129? If not, you just run a cable from 61.5 to the DPP Twin and run check switch. If you do need to keep it, you'll need a DPP44 switch. You run 4 cable runs from the LNBs to the switch and feed the receivers from the switch. When you install a switch, you need a cable from each orbital location.

Unless you really want those locals ASAP I would wait.

There is a new Dish that will be coming out for the Eastern Arc, so if you can wait do so. This way you don't need to upgrade twice. :)

Watch SatelliteGuys as we will let you know when its safe to go in the water. :D

Do you need to keep 129? If not, you just run a cable from 61.5 to the DPP Twin and run check switch. If you do need to keep it, you'll need a DPP44 switch. You run 4 cable runs from the LNBs to the switch and feed the receivers from the switch. When you install a switch, you need a cable from each orbital location.

I guess I would not need 129 if 61.5 is connected, correct? So I would cover up one of the LNBs on the DP1000 and run the cable from the new small dish to the DP1000?

thanks for your help!

There is a new Dish that will be coming out for the Eastern Arc, so if you can wait do so. This way you don't need to upgrade twice. :)

Watch SatelliteGuys as we will let you know when its safe to go in the water. :D

Thanks! Problem is I will need two dishs anyway because I cannot see all three satellites from any one spot on my property. Does 61.5 mirror the National channels on 129?

I guess I would not need 129 if 61.5 is connected, correct? So I would cover up one of the LNBs on the DP1000 and run the cable from the new small dish to the DP1000?

thanks for your help!

Like Scott said, you may want to wait. :)

Regarding my advice, do you have a 1000 or a 1000.2 dish? The 1000.2 dish has the 3 eyes in one LNB. The 1000 dish has a DPP Twin and a DP Dual. You could just remove the DP Dual (129) and put it on the second dish for 61.5.

Like Scott said, you may want to wait. :)

Regarding my advice, do you have a 1000 or a 1000.2 dish? The 1000.2 dish has the 3 eyes in one LNB. The 1000 dish has a DPP Twin and a DP Dual. You could just remove the DP Dual (129) and put it on the second dish for 61.5.

Well, the dish says 1000, and there are 3 eyes on a single assembly on the arm...is that a 1000.2? I've had Dish for about 6 months so the install is fairly new.

Maybe I really should wait, as Scott advises, for the experts to look at my set up. I just want those locals ASAP, as I have severe multi-path issues with my OTA

Sounds like you have a 1000.2, then you don't need a switch. All you need is the second dish (D300 or D500) aimed at 61.5 with a DP Dual LNB. You run a cable from the 61.5 dish to the 1000.2 dish and run check switch in the receivers. The 1000.2 lnb has an input for a 4th satellite location. The first dish is a 1000, the second one a 1000.2.

Attachments

• DISH1000.jpg
    DISH1000.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 320
  • DISH10002.jpg
    DISH10002.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 346
Sounds like you have a 1000.2, then you don't need a switch. All you need is the second dish (D300 or D500) aimed at 61.5 with a DP Dual LNB. You run a cable from the 61.5 dish to the 1000.2 dish and run check switch in the receivers. The 1000.2 lnb has an input for a 4th satellite location. The first dish is a 1000, the second one a 1000.2.

Yep...I've got the second one. thanks very much!:)

One more question.

I was searching around for what I needed for dish 500 and came upon the term "I adapter". Do I need one of those to add a dish 500 to pick up 61.5 adequately? Or will stock dish 500 work for the feed into the fourth port of the dish 1000.2?

One more question.

I was searching around for what I needed for dish 500 and came upon the term "I adapter". Do I need one of those to add a dish 500 to pick up 61.5 adequately? Or will stock dish 500 work for the feed into the fourth port of the dish 1000.2?

The I adapter gives you a higher signal because the signal comes from the middle of the dish. The Y adapter works too but you lose between 4-8 pts. in your signal strength.

I adapter only centers the lnb on the dish, not necessarily more signal because the focal point of the dish is a line from one lnb to the other on the twin instead of a single point in the center. Dish 500 is defocused in the horizonal plane as is the D1000 series, only less so, that is why the reflector must be larger to gather the same amount of signal.

Makes it easier to aim, though.

I have a regular dish 1000.1 and will be able to take off the LNB for 129 and add a second dish for 61.5, however it is going to be far away from where the dish is currently located. I have about 150 ft of RG11 running underground from my dish to the house where it is converted back to RG6. What kind of switch do I need to add a 61.5 dish to where the wires come into the house? Running a wire back to the dish and buring it really isn't an option. If I get a switch, will the one line running from the DPP Twin be enough for 119/110 or will I need two?

I have a regular dish 1000.1 and will be able to take off the LNB for 129 and add a second dish for 61.5, however it is going to be far away from where the dish is currently located. I have about 150 ft of RG11 running underground from my dish to the house where it is converted back to RG6. What kind of switch do I need to add a 61.5 dish to where the wires come into the house? Running a wire back to the dish and buring it really isn't an option. If I get a switch, will the one line running from the DPP Twin be enough for 119/110 or will I need two?

What kind of receivers do you have? If you have a single tuner, you could combine the line from 119/110 and 61.5 at some point with a DP21. Using a DPP Twin and DP21 is not supported by Dish Network but it should work.

If you have dual tuners, then you'll need a DPP44 switch and will need a second cable from dish 1000.1 because you need one cable per orbital location. Your best bet is a DPP44 switch if you have any dual tuner.

Any chance any Buffalo NY locals will move to a bigger spot bean?

Also, is DISH not going to have the MLB package? No Yankees either?

What kind of receivers do you have? If you have a single tuner, you could combine the line from 119/110 and 61.5 at some point with a DP21. Using a DPP Twin and DP21 is not supported by Dish Network but it should work.

If you have dual tuners, then you'll need a DPP44 switch and will need a second cable from dish 1000.1 because you need one cable per orbital location. Your best bet is a DPP44 switch if you have any dual tuner.

I have one 622. I guess I will have to figure something out. Thanks.

Pardon my ignorance guys. I have the 1000.2 connected to a 622 receiver and I would also like to add 61.5 location. Can I just point an old round DirectTV dish with single LNB to it and connect to my 1000.2?

Pardon my ignorance guys. I have the 1000.2 connected to a 622 receiver and I would also like to add 61.5 location. Can I just point an old round DirectTV dish with single LNB to it and connect to my 1000.2?

you wont be able to use the old direct tv lnb, cause the 1000.2 will only recognize dish pro lnb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)