What do new iphone5 owners think of the Apple Maps replacing Google Maps

I used to have TomTom on my old windows Mobile phone but when the WM version was updated the app no longer worked. I contacted Tom Tom and they said I had to buy a new version at full price. I recall the original maps was $150. Tom Tom was really good but the cost was way too high and no upgrade price break. Hope that has changed now.

You can still access google maps on the iphone, you have to go to maps.google.com in safari. You can bookmark it to an icon on the interface. It is much clunkier to use via the browser.

The thing that google maps had is mass transit. If you are in NYC you can see why it is so vital. You put in where you want to go and it will tell you which station to go to, which subway to get on and do bus transfers too. It is exceptionally handy because it knows all the subway/bus/etc schedules. So, if you do the directions a few minutes later it might tell you to go another route since a different subway train may now be faster.

mike123abc said:
The thing that google maps had is mass transit. If you are in NYC you can see why it is so vital. You put in where you want to go and it will tell you which station to go to, which subway to get on and do bus transfers too. It is exceptionally handy because it knows all the subway/bus/etc schedules. So, if you do the directions a few minutes later it might tell you to go another route since a different subway train may now be faster.

That would be something to complain about and really miss if you do use mass transportation a lot. I have never used that though. There just isn't anything like that in Michigan.

Don Landis said:
I used to have TomTom on my old windows Mobile phone but when the WM version was updated the app no longer worked. I contacted Tom Tom and they said I had to buy a new version at full price. I recall the original maps was $150. Tom Tom was really good but the cost was way too high and no upgrade price break. Hope that has changed now.

It has. It's a totally different price model now compared to what it used to be for WM. The iPhone/iPad TomTom app is $39.99 for US and $49.99 for US and Canada. And map updates are now free. However, you can no longer add maps. So, for example, if you bought the US version, you can't later add Canada: you have to buy a new app.

I like TomTom and almost never use Google Maps for navigation. The main advantage is that the maps are off-line: I'm not dependent on the Internet connection.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

You can still access google maps on the iphone, you have to go to maps.google.com in safari. You can bookmark it to an icon on the interface. It is much clunkier to use via the browser.

When I am in Chicago or DC, I find dedicated mass transit apps that work a lot better than Google. They are full-featured apps for a couple bucks enable you to know where pretty much every train in the system.

Good to know and I'll add TomTom to my list of resources should CoPilot fail me.

Can you do the Bahamas ( for our cruise ) on TomTom? I have Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Canada but no Bahamas on CoPilot.

Just checked web site and nothing for Bahamas. BUT, I see CoPilot is ready for iphone 5 so if you're looking for iphone 5 GPS navigation with no need for internet, you should check into this.

Last edited:
king3pj said:
I just used the new maps turn by turn navigation for about a 45 minute trip each way to Ann Arbor and back tonight even though I have a Garmin stand alone GPS. It got the job done for me. I don't know if I took the best route because I don't know the area well but it got me to the brewery i was looking for and it got me home.

Getting you home from the brewery is a good thing! ;)

jrp said:
Getting you home from the brewery is a good thing! ;)

Haha yep, you heard it here first. Apple maps cures drunk driving. We actually went there for dinner more than drinking. I only had a couple beers and the person driving only had 1.

Don Landis said:
Can you do the Bahamas ( for our cruise ) on TomTom?

No, I haven't seen TomTom maps for Bahamas. That would be nice to have for the upcoming Home Theater Cruise, but then again, I am not planning on driving there, so a PDF or even a printed map will do for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

BTW- my biggest complaint on Google maps on my phone is the need for internet. Many places I want to use maps I am out of range. Someone here once introduced me to Copilot. What a bargain and has voice turn by turn too. Since the maps are installed on the SD card, it is great to use anywhere. Just need a good view of the sky. I even use it on an airplane in the window seat.
I'm positive that Google added an offline/cached version to Maps months ago.

Driving today there was an accident ahead and I was using my iPhone as my NAV. There was no way to tell it that there was a detour so it would reroute me around the accident. I was kind of disappointed that I couldn't do that.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Driving today there was an accident ahead and I was using my iPhone as my NAV. There was no way to tell it that there was a detour so it would reroute me around the accident. I was kind of disappointed that I couldn't do that.

Couldn't you just get off and wait for it to recalculate? The only problem with that is that it might keep telling you to get back on.

Couldn't you just get off and wait for it to recalculate? The only problem with that is that it might keep telling you to get back on.
That doesn't help if you're in an unfamiliar area. That would be the point of asking it to tell you where to go.

Hall said:
That doesn't help if you're in an unfamiliar area. That would be the point of asking it to tell you where to go.

I use a Garmin GPS in my car. I get off expressways all the time due to traffic jams. I just pick a road that is going the same direction and the GPS will eventually recalculate and give me a new route. Sure there is a detour button on that GPS but I usually find I don't need to push it unless it just keeps telling me to get back on the expressway.

I use a Garmin GPS in my car. I get off expressways all the time due to traffic jams. I just pick a road that is going the same direction and the GPS will eventually recalculate and give me a new route. Sure there is a detour button on that GPS but I usually find I don't need to push it unless it just keeps telling me to get back on the expressway.

Exactly! I have never had a GPS that was able to see a car accident and suggest a reroute ahead of time. Instead, I always just got off ( if I could) and immediately the GPS would recalculate around the obstruction. Some do it better than others. My wife's Toyotal GPS keeps telling her to make a legal u turn and get back on route until she gets a good 2 miles off. Mine, a Kenwood will recalculate in about a half mile off route. We also have a Garman that is pretty fast. When I traveled a lot in NYC, I loved that feature as there were often traffic accidents to negotiate.

Some of the internet based GPS maps have a weather and traffic alert feature if supported by the DOT in certain areas. I had this added to my old TomTom for awhile. It was an added subscription service. It also could access the highway webcam system for look ahead. Pretty cool but it was too expensive to maintain after the free 30 day trial. I think my Copilot also has this option.

My favorite was the TomTom with it's celebrity voices option. I had NY cabby voice which was always entertaining on trips to the area.

Don Landis said:
Exactly! I have never had a GPS that was able to see a car accident and suggest a reroute ahead of time.
My old Honda Ridgeline could do it as can my Lincoln.
In the Ridgeline it was better just hit the detour button and select the road with the issue it would then reroute you.

The Lincoln you click on the route the click on reroute button and it does the rest. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Exactly! I have never had a GPS that was able to see a car accident and suggest a reroute ahead of time.
Who said anything about the GPS knowing about an accident on your route ? It was a case of the driver knowing there was an accident and telling the GPS to find a different route.

Check out the Waze app. It's a crowd-sourced GPS app that uses real time data from Waze users to determine if traffic is traveling slower than posted limits. It also collects user reports of accidents, construction, vehicles on the shoulder, and other factors that might indicate a different route is called for.

Because Waze is looking at road conditions in real time, its ETA is extremely accurate. Not bad for free. Of course, you're agreeing to send your exact position to Waze's servers to be used for navigation. If you don't sign up for a Waze account, it will run anonymously.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts