What do we do with our old Dish 500s?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RJS

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Hazel Green, WI
My dealer didn't want my old Dish 500 after the Superdish install. He said he had no use for it. I thought maybe he'd hear from Dish Network and they'd tell him he'd have to take it. So far that hasn't happened. :?

This was interesting because a while back future Superdish owners were mad because the dealer was going to take their dish. It's starting to sound to me like there aren't going to be many takers.

So, if he doesn't take it, what can I do with it? It's kind of a shame to just let it lay there. Since they give them away free to new subs it would be hard to sell.

Someone could probably use them to pick up another satillite but it would be hard to ship and with the Superdish installs going on there will soon be a glut of them.

If someone wants my dish they can have it since I have no plans for it. It cost me nothing so I'm out nothing. They just have to come and get it. :|

You could also use it for tailgateing if you go to any football games..

Nouthing better than haveing ESPN on the road

If you have a Dish500 with a twin LNB that you want to use for 61.5 do you need to aim it differently? Which side should you use - 110 or 119 - to aim it properly?

I'll take it if you dont want it. I take about anything satellite related because there is always someone that needs something that I have eventually. People give me things that I need and I give them things that I need.

ExpressVu (or, more properly, Bell ExpressVu or BEV) is a Canadian Satellite TV service and, generally speaking, is illegal to receive in the US. Folks do have subscriptions to it by using "foreign" residence addressess -- a deceptive practice -- to "qualify" for the service. BEV uses the same equipment and modulation/encoding techniques as does Dish, but on different satellite orbital locations -- thus you see the "desirability" in getting BEV.

You are not breaking any laws in the United States. In Canada, it is a very gray area. There is no legal framework in which to subscribe to Canadian satellite services outside of Canada. In their original agreements to get an operating license, Star Choice and Bell ExpressVu have NO authority to sell programming outside of Canada. On paper, you must be a bonafide Canadian resident in order to subscribe.
Programming brokers act as the agent for the subscriber, when dealing with the programming company. They provide addresses suitable for the computer, and sell this service much as you might rent a mailbox. A full service programming broker not only provides an address, but pays the monthly bills and makes all contacts with the programming company.

To read about legalities go to this link:
http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/legal.html

This site explains a lot about Canadian Satellite TV:
http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/canadiansolution.html

rtt2 said:
You are not breaking any laws in the United States.

'not so sure about that, despite what that website says. 'maybe not criminal law, but almost certainly civil law.

Star Choice & ExpressVu purchase the rights to certain programming for sale to Canadian residents only. They probably don't have a license to provide it to non-Canadians. If that is indeed the case, I'm sure that when you subscribe to the service, you are asked to agree to a statement that you are a resident of Canada. If you are not, then you are guilty of contractual misrepresentation. Who knows, maybe even guilty of fraud.

Personally I don't know the legality and that is what has been preventing me from subscribing. The other is the high cost of the receiver. As many people I talk to about this the more opinions I get. If going through a program broker is illegal then I guess that idea is shot.
The whole idea of going through a program broker was to be as legitimate as possible. But if that means I would be guilty of fraud it defeats the purpose to begin with. The fact that they broadcast all the network channels in HDTV and allow you to get multiple DMA regions made me believe that this could be the holy grail of DBS providers. To think we Americans are now envious of Canadian DBS when they all used to be envious of our DBS.

Sounds pretty interesting. Seems the way to go for those with HD bigscreens wanting the networks in HD and some variety packaging, if it dont get you into trouble.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)