What do you get in 4:2:2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gmd63

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
What do you get in 4:2:2? are many stations 4:2:2 or mostly feeds?
KU and C-Band or both?

If it is still not much I will put off getting a receiver that does this and stick with the Pansat 9200HD with card.

lots of sports feeds are 4:2:2
the main 4:2:2 channels are ther4 GDMX on G16 C-Band. They have syndicated programming that you see during daytime

I've been pondering the same thing recently too. Ice probably has a good answer for this too. If I had a choice should I go with the Quali or the Pansat 9200HD with the extra board? I'm guessing the Quali. I don't have a computer fast enough for the other way of doing this. Of course it has to be somewhat user friendly...IE the wife. Blind

I've been pondering the same thing recently too. Ice probably has a good answer for this too. If I had a choice should I go with the Quali or the Pansat 9200HD with the extra board? I'm guessing the Quali. I don't have a computer fast enough for the other way of doing this. Of course it has to be somewhat user friendly...IE the wife. Blind

Hi Blind and the group, It might not take as much of a computer as you might think. My HTPC is only a 1.6GHz but it is a dual core and I have lots of memory - 2GB. It does 4:2:2 and even mpeg 2 HD just fine.

I run XP Pro on it with SP3 but I did have trouble with the updates to the net 2 framework that ProgDVB requires so I rolled the net 2 back and it has worked fine since.

Something I found interesting is I tried DvbDream and while the CPU usage was lower then with ProgDVB, the computer would have choppy video when playing fast sporting feeds. It plays the fastest sports with ProgDVB just fine with no chop at all.

Setting up a HTPC can be a chore but after it is done they are not too hard to use. Anyhow, let me know if you need any more info on the setup.

BTW - I'm sure you have run a blind scan with a DVB receiver set for FTA only and found new channels but when you go to view them the screen is black or maybe has lots of little color blocks and maybe audio plays for a second or stays on - thats it, chances are good you just found a 4:2:2 or mpeg 2 HD feed.

If you find these often then it might be worthwhile to get setup for 4:2:2 and HD. If you do not scan much then maybe not worthwhile.

PS - also check out the AZBOX I just got one and after the firmware update it is doing 4:2:2 and HD. Cold case files is coming up on G16
Got to go watch it. Later, DC

Hope this helps, DC

What do you get in 4:2:2? are many stations 4:2:2 or mostly feeds?
KU and C-Band or both?

If it is still not much I will put off getting a receiver that does this and stick with the Pansat 9200HD with card.

you mean Pansat 9200HD with S-2 board ?
when it comes to 4:2:2 it is the AZBOX or computer card.

if you are a sports nut more feeds are going 4:2:2 .

Pansat 9200HD with the extra board S-2

Quali no S-2 and more 4:2:2 feeds are S-2
so you end up back to the AZBOX
but the wife would find the Pansat 9200HD more like the Fortec my guess.

good luck

Thanks for the info by all. The Azbox is linux based correct. It's gotta be easy or the wife will scream lol. I thought the Quali did Dvb, S2, and 4:2:2. Maybe I misread it somewhere. Thanks Blind

The Quali only does 4:2:2 and its an old receiver

azbox does MPEG4, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 (along with 4:2:0)...the azbox isnt that hard to work with once the channels are set up

Yup most Linux based boxes not intended for the rookie FTA'er ..

> Yup most Linux based boxes not intended for the rookie FTA'er ..

If you want easy you will have to wait for Apples NEW I-Sat, the all in one satellite receiver, it does all modes, even those that do not exist yet.

same here. Its not as difficult as some folks make it out to be

The only oddball thing is adding transponders but once you get the hang of it its pretty easy. But then again I also worked with a Quali-TV ;)

same here. Its not as difficult as some folks make it out to be

The only oddball thing is adding transponders but once you get the hang of it its pretty easy. But then again I also worked with a Quali-TV ;)

Yea just like editing/Deleting the channels? remember? LOL

Delete the TP=deletes the channels

I have one sat designed for feed hunting (labelled "MOTOR" and just delete all the TP's after a weekend of feed hunting) so its pretty easy :)

How sensitive is the receiver? So far I have found nothing more sensitive in the Pansat 9200

Yea just like editing/Deleting the channels? remember? LOL
Don't mean to be off topic, or hijack this thread, but I noticed on your signature that you have "1.2m motorized dish with a WS C-Ku LNB". How does it perform on the motor. Are you able to get all KU signals that you're supposed to get? How is the C-Band signal quality?

Delete the TP=deletes the channels

I have one sat designed for feed hunting (labelled "MOTOR" and just delete all the TP's after a weekend of feed hunting) so its pretty easy :)

Hi Iceberg, I really like the idea of setting up a satellite just for feeds. I'm going to try that this weekend.

Might even try a more creative name like NOV14, then next weekend NOV21 and so on. That way I don't have to delete them right away.

Take care, DC

Status
Please reply by conversation.