What do you think Apple will announce on the 27th

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The iPhone does not support flash, neither will the iPad.
Adrian Ludwig, a big guy at Adobe, is not happy that Apple chose not to implement Flash.

This is the Adobe blog entry that followed an entry about porting Flash applications to the iPad.

Apple's iPad -- a broken link? (Adobe Flash Platform Blog)

The fun part:
Adrian Ludwig said:
And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web.

If I want to use the iPad to connect to Disney, Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, or JibJab -- not to mention the millions of other sites on the web -- I'll be out of luck.

Adrian Ludwig, a big guy at Adobe, is not happy that Apple chose not to implement Flash.

This is the Adobe blog entry that followed an entry about porting Flash applications to the iPad.

Apple's iPad -- a broken link? (Adobe Flash Platform Blog)
Adrian's post unleashed a sh!#storm of anti-Flash sentiment in the replies. In a nutshell, the comments amount to: Flash is proprietary, it isn't a Web Standard like HTML5, and Adobe made Flash a CPU-hog. Now, it could be that all the Apple Fan-boys came out of the woodwork to rebut the post, but it's clear that a lot of people don't care if Apple doesn't support Flash on their mobile devices. I guess Android doesn't do Flash, either.

Mr. Ludwig makes an excellent point about where you need to go for support of movies and games on the Internet. To ignore Flash at this point in time does not represent a flash of brilliance. Without some serious changes to the state of the art in web development, they're cutting off their nose to spite their face. If you're trying to take over a market with a new solution, you need to be careful to do everything the competition can and then some out of the gates.

The iPhone people know what not having Flash is all about so they can cry all they want.

Here's a short commentary on HTML 5 and its chances of supplanting Flash or Silverlight in the near term:

HTML 5 is no Flash or Silverlight killer ? yet ? The Register

I guess I never noticed how big of a resource hog Flash is on my Mac Pro since I Fold and the CPUs are always maxed out anyway. But I can see Adobe is continuing down the path of snubbing Apple users by publishing Flash plug-ins for OS/X that fail to meet Apple's high standards for programming. Safari (which I don't use since I like Firefox much better) is 64-bit on the new OS, but Apple had to create a 32-bit version just to support Flash's 32-bit plug-in code.

I can understand why Apple isn't too upset with not having Flash. Apple does not own the code, Adobe does. If Adobe thought that there would be money to be made from publishing Flash on ARM processors, it would be out already. The so-called "Open Screen" group is working on it, not Adobe. And really, what are we missing by not having Flash? Jib-Jab? "Obama wants Mothers to go to school" Flash Ads? Hulu? If it is that important to you to access this content, then don't buy an Apple mobile device.

A good web developer needs to account for all the different browsers out there. Since Flash is not a Web Standard (even if it is used in a large number of sites), the developers should not assume that everyone has it loaded on their browsers. How many people remember the High Content/Low Content web sites before broadband became widespread? It sort of the same.

How many million iPhones are there now? How many non-Flash phones? Pretty soon the advertisers are going to realize that the web sites they are paying for are not delivering the eyeballs for the ads they produce and drop payment or move away from proprietary formats that are not universally supported.

The Register article makes a good point. Until HTML 5 is finalized, why support something that might change in 6 months? But, then again, that's the nice thing about Standards: There are so many to choice from...

I think the last couple years showed that both can live without the other - Adobe and Apple.
While iPhone was spreading and making fortunes for Apple, Flash usage wasn't exactly going down.
Even PC component manufacturers - ASUS, NVidia, etc. - started actively using it on their sites.

Money wise Adobe most likely loses more due to this feud, but they might have a reason to stick to the status-quo...

Diogen.

I guess I never noticed how big of a resource hog Flash is on my Mac Pro since I Fold and the CPUs are always maxed out anyway.

Nice :up I wanted a Mac Pro back in 07, but just couldn't justify the cost vs how we were going to use it. Decided to go with a 24" iMac instead.
There's many out there that can't stand the way Apple locks down their mobile devices ( Apple TV included ) and wants to control everything. Myself included. Maybe Apple will ease up on the restrictions when
they start getting some serious competition.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts