What do you use Siri for?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I upgraded to the iphone 5 from the iphone 4. So this is my first time with Siri. Although so far I've really only used it for playing around with, but I really like it. So does anyone actually use Siri for anything productive? I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something cool that I haven't discovered yet with Siri.

smokey982 said:
I upgraded to the iphone 5 from the iphone 4. So this is my first time with Siri. Although so far I've really only used it for playing around with, but I really like it. So does anyone actually use Siri for anything productive? I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something cool that I haven't discovered yet with Siri.

Setting alarms and timers is what I've used it for the most.

Nothing really. It's still a novelty in my opinion. It's not nearly as advanced as it needs to be. Too often I ask it questions and it responds with the cop out "Do you want me to search the web for......?" It definitely has potential, but I have a feeling that Google will come out with a better solution for this before Apple does, as Searching the web is basically their business.

I don't use it much myself even though it has become more useful with iOS 6. Now you can ask siri to give you the American League Central standings and it actually knows what you are talking about. I only use stuff like that to show it off to friends and family for the most part though. I would just feel like a tool asking my phone to show me the Barry Sanders wikipedia in public.

That being said I find Siri very useful in the car. It works with the bluetooth hands free system in my car. I simply push a button and say give me directions home and it will bring up the apple maps directions to my house. If a new text message comes in I can tell Siri to read it to me. I can then reply by voice without taking my eyes off the road. When I am leaving meetings at clients offices I often tell Siri to send an email to our receptionist with a couple key points from the meeting. Keep in mind that the dictation occasionally gets words wrong so I would never send an important email to a client using it but for simple quick notes or text messages I think its accurate enough.

Edit: One more thing I use it often for is reminders. You can say things like remind me to call my mom when I leave work and it will pop up a reminder and ask if you want to call as you pull away from the office.

Setting my alarm, thats about all its good for.

I think that's quite an exaggeration. It's far from perfect and like I said before people using it in public just look like tools. Maybe it's been a while since you have used it but ask it some questions and it will usually give you an acceptable answer especially with iOS 6. Ask it what PG movies are in theaters or what movies are out staring your favorite actor and it will bring up a list of movies that fit that description. Now, you can do all of this with apps and your fingers too. It's not always the most practical way to do things and sometimes it doesn't give you results you expect it to, but to say its only good for setting alarms is pretty far off base.

king3pj said:
That being said I find Siri very useful in the car. It works with the bluetooth hands free system in my car. I simply push a button and say give me directions home and it will bring up the apple maps directions to my house.

When you say you push a button. Are you referring to the home button on the phone or a button in your car? My wife's accord has hands free Bluetooth but I don't know of a button she could press to do that.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

When you say you push a button. Are you referring to the home button on the phone or a button in your car? My wife's accord has hands free Bluetooth but I don't know of a button she could press to do that.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Using the voice dial button on my bluetooth system brings up Siri on my iPhone. I just hold the main button down for a couple seconds and it comes up. On my old Blackberry doing the same thing brought up voice dial.

I use it to text and call by name when driving... When not driving it is usually faster for me to just do it myself.

king3pj said:
That being said I find Siri very useful in the car. It works with the bluetooth hands free system in my car. I simply push a button and say give me directions home and it will bring up the apple maps directions to my house. If a new text message comes in I can tell Siri to read it to me. I can then reply by voice without taking my eyes off the road.
Which Bluetooth system do you have? The only way I've found to get my iPhone to listen is to reach into my pocket and press the "Home" button.

All I use Siri for is setting alarms or reminders.

Foxbat said:
Which Bluetooth system do you have? The only way I've found to get my iPhone to listen is to reach into my pocket and press the "Home" button.

I came home and played around with the one in my wife's Accord and I have to hit the home button as well.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Mine is a cheap motorola thing that was about $80 bucks that was on sale on amazon about a year ago. A friend of mine liked his so he picked one up for me. I'm not sure why mine would work and others wouldn't. For me its similar to using the included headphones. If you hold the button down for a couple seconds siri beeps in.

Playing with Siri for the first time after upgrading my iPad to iOS 6. It's pretty cool, but I don't know if it will be very useful on the iPad. Perhaps more so on the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Playing with Siri for the first time after upgrading my iPad to iOS 6. It's pretty cool, but I don't know if it will be very useful on the iPad. Perhaps more so on the phone.

It's really more of a novelty on the iPad than something with real functionality. I mean let's be honest here: Siri at this point is just the thing that allows for Turn by Turn navigation for free. I think it's going to take at least 2 more "iterations" of the product for it to become something that they can consider an actual selling point for iOS. Even the Turn by Turn thing is hardly a win since A: Android users have had the functionality for years, and B: There are multiple 3rd party apps that provide the same functionality and have better maps, some of which are even free.

I told her I was mad last night, and she told me to stop squeezing her. :D

Last edited:
ke4est said:
I told her I was mad last night, and she told me to stop squeezing her. :D

lol, she has other responses too! :D:D

image-575287745.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)