What do you use Siri for?

Ooh, the honeymoon is over. I found out tonight driving home that Siri takes over the home button and doesn't work if you don't have an Internet connection. On the iPhone 4, you could hold down the home button and it would allow you to select play track, play artists, etc., while streaming through Bluetooth.

Foxbat said:
Ooh, the honeymoon is over. I found out tonight driving home that Siri takes over the home button and doesn't work if you don't have an Internet connection. On the iPhone 4, you could hold down the home button and it would allow you to select play track, play artists, etc., while streaming through Bluetooth.

You can tell Siri to play a track or artist too.

Only if you have an Internet connection. I found I can disable Siri and restore Voice Control a la the iPhone 4.

I actually used Siri today to suggest a restaurant nearby that had an open reservation at 6pm. Siri then chided my for not having Yelp! installed. :)

Only if you have an Internet connection. I found I can disable Siri and restore Voice Control a la the iPhone 4.

I actually used Siri today to suggest a restaurant nearby that had an open reservation at 6pm. Siri then chided my for not having Yelp! installed. :)
How did Apple miss that ? There could be, and probably will be later, many things you can "command" it to do without needing an internet connection.

Nowadays it's just a mission to find Easter Eggs, or the hope that it'll actually prove practical for something other than weather reports, sports scores, and schedule updates. For me it'll be really cool when it really acts like a Q&A service. I want to be able to ask Siri a question and get a quick response so I don't have to google the answer.

I think Siri sometimes gets a bad rap. It is an "intelligent agent," and yes, has limits. But some of those limits are intended as privacy protections; particularly those which forbid voice access to OS settings. Yet, some things, like being able to say, "turn brightness up to 75%" would be really helpful when you go outside, and can barely see the screen.

Over time I suspect it will gain more and more functionality.

I like when Siri groans after setting a 4am alarm clock. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)