What do you want in a commissioner?

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
I read the David Stern retiring thread on here and I read some venom on about Stern. I do have a question. Do you like any of the commissioners right now? What do and what dont do you like about them?

So I ask another question. What do you want in a commissioner?

I read the David Stern retiring thread on here and I read some venom on about Stern. I do have a question. Do you like any of the commissioners right now? What do and what dont do you like about them?

So I ask another question. What do you want in a commissioner?

Dislike Goodell.
Thinks he's the NFL God, he's not, he works for the Owners.

Bud Selig, I don't care for him either .... stupid things he's done ...
ASG decides HFA in the WS
Adds TOO many Post season teams, 1 WC was fine and working, the 2nd one is diluting things, more isn't ALWAYS better.
1/3rd of the teams get in, any more and it may as well be the NHL or the NBA, where half the teams get in (not half, but close).

Has no ***** when it came to Pete Rose, just go with what the last guy did. :rolleyes:

A Commissioner should NOT be able to OWN a team in your Sport, Conflict of Interest.

Bettman is allowing the NHL to become non existant.

Stern/ next Commish Don't watch the NBA, no opinion.
Other than Bettman was a NBA guy and he's killing the NHL.

I do think sometimes the NFL takes itself too seriously. I want to state I love the NFL and watch the games on Thurs., Sun., and Mon. but they really make a big deal out of things that they shouldnt do. I mean didnt they fine a guy for wearing a hat that was not an NFL hat or something. They worry so much about using the name "Super Bowl" and anything like it. He seems more focused on getting games in London then worry about "AMERICA'S GAME."

I also wish Goodell would more into the classic programming. I mean it just seems like from Goodell all the way down, it seems like they care about PSLs and Fantasy Football when you should honor NFL Films and show there work because if it wasnt for them and the old time players, there is no Fantasy Football or games in London which is absurd to begin with.

Jimbo said:
Dislike Goodell.

Adds TOO many Post season teams, 1 WC was fine and working, the 2nd one is diluting things, more isn't ALWAYS better.
1/3rd of the teams get in, any more and it may as well be the NHL or the NBA, where half the teams get in (not half, but close).

Has no ***** when it came to Pete Rose, just go with what the last guy did. :rolleyes:

A Commissioner should NOT be able to OWN a team in your Sport, Conflict of Interest.

Agree with just about everything here. If memory serves me correctly, wasn't Bettman a former Stern crony?

Dislike Goodell.

You couldn't have said it any better. I miss Peter Ueberroth as commish of baseball. He stayed out of the limelight and was ready to push the Pete Rose thing away from baseball, had Pete just retired and stayed out of baseball.

I want a commissioner that ONLY holds the best interest of the game, EVEN if it goes against my PRO-sports union thinking. I do not want a stooge for the owners....AND I want only THAT commissioner to name his successor.

...BUT, that will never happen.

If I recall, the Commish is always paid by the Owners, right ?

Maybe that should change where the Players Union also pays, this way the Commish wouldn't be obligated to side with the owners.

Jimbo said:
If I recall, the Commish is always paid by the Owners, right ?

Maybe that should change where the Players Union also pays, this way the Commish wouldn't be obligated to side with the owners.

I think, and could be wrong on this, the commish gets paid from all the revenue that the leagues...ALL the professional leagues...generate. IF I am wrong....then we better stop because we are starting to make too much sense.

I think, and could be wrong on this, the commish gets paid from all the revenue that the leagues...ALL the professional leagues...generate. IF I am wrong....then we better stop because we are starting to make too much sense.
You may be right ... I have always thought that they were paid by the Owners only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)