What does your Best Buy look like?

chicagofilms

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 15, 2004
I hadn't been in my local BB in a couple of weeks. Yesterday I stopped by to see what's new. They have drastically expanded the HD software section.

This doesn't count the little displays near the respective players.

Used to be:
4' section for BluRay
4' section for HD-DVD

Now, it is a whopping:
20' section for BluRay
16' section for HD-DVD

They also had several BluRay titles on sale for $15, I grabbed 4. I don't own a player, but couldn;t pass that up. The BluRay section was ravaged. Most of the titles on sale or with a price tag on the shelf were sold out. Most movies only had 2-3 copies and there were many holes where they sold out of titles.

The HD-DVD section didn't seem to have any specials and was well stocked. Most titles were 5-6 deep.

It would appear that at least at my local store, BD is considerably more popular and BB realizes this by giving an additional 4' of space.

What does your local BB look like?

your expansion looks like my BB has looked for about a year, Both BD and HD-DVD are equal in space though.

Either way, prices suck and I don't shop there unless there is a B1G1 deal or something on discs.

Local Walmart and Target now have more space for HD format movies than BB or CC and walmart is kicking their collective A$$es in price in both formats.

Local CC is a freaking joke, Movies NEVER get sorted, the employees just empty boxes into shevles in no order. It's an absolute mess.

Yeah, the Springfield VA CC is a mess, too. But in that mess was a BD version of "Sky Captain." I might go back and buy it as an investment- esp if it's on sale. I already have a copy for myself.

Local CC is a freaking joke, Movies NEVER get sorted, the employees just empty boxes into shevles in no order. It's an absolute mess.

Seems to be standard CC policy, toss all the movies on a shelf anywhere they feel like it. That's why I never buy crap there.

I haven't checked out Walmart or Target near me. I'll stop in this weekend

Mine has the 2 long sections and an isle stand for BD. Also, the BD players are featured around the AV area, hard to find the HD-DVD player.

Mines been like that for ages.. i'll try and get a picture next time i'm in there.. I believe HD is 3x bigger than the blu-ray not 5 :)

Circuit city is even

Let's see...
There a bunch of clueless sales people wondering around.
No high-end audio gear, except for the Magnolia stores.
And everything is overpriced.
...and as we learned recently, sells the most HD.
That pretty much nails the difference between what we think is reasonable and rational, and what the rest (majority) thinks...:)

Diogen.

Let's see...

That's about it.

That does about sum it up. :) Luckily for me, the local high-end store is literally next door. Unfortunately for the high end store. BB prices look good compared to them and J6P is gonna go BB route almost everytime.

No joke, I once heard a guy in BB laughing at the Rotel equipment at the store next door. To paraphrase in what he said to the BB associate "They have some stuff over there with the same name as the Rotel tomatoes in a can at the grocery store. How can I take a company seriously if they make AV stuff and food products?"
I dunno what he would of said had he seen the NAD stuff. :)

With that, I know the guy only made it into the first part of the store. never made it back to the really expensive stuff.

Went to local best buy today and they re-vamped their HD-format section.

Now BD is 1 full side of the aisle (6 sections) and HD-DVD is the other side (also 6 sections). They also lowered the in-store prices on both formats to levels in line with walmart. No more of the $29-$40 discs.

Went to local best buy today and they re-vamped their HD-format section.

Now BD is 1 full side of the aisle (6 sections) and HD-DVD is the other side (also 6 sections). They also lowered the in-store prices on both formats to levels in line with walmart. No more of the $29-$40 discs.

Not mine. Dropped by to see my friend who manages the Magnolia section. Same overpriced discs as always. 3 sections each. Endcaps for LG, Toshiba, Samsung, and Sharp. Magnolia has Pioneer and XA2. Swear there were at least 10 BD1400s scattered around the video section w/open box pricing (no exageration).

S~

Laff, I saw the same thing on the 1400's. I know 2 people who took them back this week locally to CC and BB. Both said the players just randomly locked up, stopped playing discs etc.

Both are waiting now for the $399 PS3

Only semi-related, but i saw no endcaps for Blu-Ray at Target last night, and promo materials on walls/isles that had the BD logo also had the HDDVD logo. HD Red and BD Blue everywhere.

Thought Sony paid for some placement?

Let's see...

That's about it.

The sales person will come up to you and let you know that any of us idiots can help you because no moron working here makes anything extra off of any sale that is made.:)

Only semi-related, but i saw no endcaps for Blu-Ray at Target last night, and promo materials on walls/isles that had the BD logo also had the HDDVD logo. HD Red and BD Blue everywhere.

Thought Sony paid for some placement?

Yeah, there's no special BD stuff at my 2 targets either. 1 is a semi-super target and the other is a regular target.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts