What droid to go to next?

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
My wife keeps hinting that she'd like MY Droid - she is fine with a new phone going to me; and my annual upgrade is available in November. But right now I am hesitant. Droid X means changing all of my dock accesories; Droid 2 is nice, but really not much different; just a bit more memory and fast processor; have not actually touched one yet to see if the keyboard is really much improved. Not interested in the Incredible; and uncertain about the Fascinate. And turned off by the reliance on Bing.

Of course we are 1 year into a VZW contract.

I could just pick up a used Moto Droid for her, and hold off for myself until something better comes out.

Thoughts? I'll probably try to put this off until something new comes out. Heck, the Droid 2 World edition isn't even out yet.

Played with a Droid X today. Dang that screen is impressive compared with the D1. Resolution is higher, text is more crisp. Tried to do the same with a Samsung Fascinate, but the stupid thing had a screen lock on it. But its live wallpaper was unbelievable. Too bad they have that damn Bing crap on it.

Verizon did that Bing crap to the Fascinate. Buy a used Moto Droid and wait till Xmas

I may very well do that, and wait to see what better phone I can get. I have another 3+ weeks before I am even eligible for an annual upgrade, and her line is not eligible for an upgrade until later in November (I once used her upgrade on my line. :) )

Well, a quick GOOGLE search showed how to remove the Bing-crap from the Fascinate, but it is truly obnoxious that you would have to do that to get rid of it in the first place.

rockymtnhigh said:
Well, a quick GOOGLE search showed how to remove the Bing-crap from the Fascinate, but it is truly obnoxious that you would have to do that to get rid of it in the first place.

What about the Droid World Edition? It will pack much more than Droid 1 & 2. I have the Droid X and came from the Droid 1. As you stated screen is awesome.

Or wait for the Motorola Interga 2 which will have a dual core allegedly in January.

I'll be curious about the World Edition, although I don't need GSM persay, I don't really travel out of the US.

Dual core would be the bomb, but all speculative right now. :)

if you root or flash, the fascinate may work for ya, head over to xda and see what they have for each one your considering, those guys do amazing things

if you root or flash, the fascinate may work for ya, head over to xda and see what they have for each one your considering, those guys do amazing things

I saw that it is possible to get rid of the bing crap. I am just spoiled with my fully-customizable droid 1.

Even the bootloader-locked droid's can obtain root, you just can't put custom roms on them. But I agree, that is a huge factor for me.

You can't put custom ROM's on them? Then what is the point of rooting them?

Last edited:
You can't put custom ROM's on them? Then what is the point of rooting them?

Rooting gets you to do a lot of things. First, add Wifi Tethering at no cost. Second, remove Bloatware(Personally I don't See the Need). Third install back up apps like Titanium and AdFree. I have a Droid X that is Rooted. I had a Droid 1 that was rooted and flashed with CM6. I personally didn't like the operation and went back to root only.

Last edited by a moderator:
You misunderstood. The boot-loader has been rooted but there's still a mechanism in place that prevents rooting the "user" side of the phone.

I do not think that is true. Rooting does provide all of those options "on the user side" that Big Dawg mentioned; and some of those are not inconsequential -- although you can still tether (via PDAnet with USB) unrooted. But Titanium Backup alone is spectacular.

You misunderstood. The boot-loader has been rooted but there's still a mechanism in place that prevents rooting the "user" side of the phone.

Please explain.

Only thing that can't be done is Custom Rom's because the NAND has yet to be cracked.

Droid X is root from what I see as user and customizable. You can remove Blur and many apps if you like.

Sorry, I didn't realize the extent of how that phone model has been rooted. I presumed without a custom ROM, not much else was possible. As far as a fully rooted phone, I'm well aware of what they can do. :D My Eris has been rooted for many months now.

It is getting close to the one year upgrade availability for those of us who bought the Moto Droid last November. Indeed, I believe it is tomorrow. I realized this morning that resiting running out and getting a new phone might be challenging as I had a dream I was in the Verizon store last night and somehow walked away with a Droid Incredible, except it was not really an incredible (it was some weird looking phone with a light brown case, and was about 3X fatter than an Incredible). :) I think the dream was tied to me actually saying to my wife that I might get HER a Droid Incredible when her upgrade comes up later this month (since the price is pretty decent on that phone now).

Anyways, I must resist... I must resist.... Droid X is looking mighty fine, but I must resist until after all the new phones come out... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)