What EHD should I get for VIP211?

MisterJim

Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
NE Ohio
Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie and I have done some searches to find out what brand/type of
EHD I should buy to use the DVR function on my 211. I find conflicting answers in some of the threads so I thought I would ask outright!
Should I only buy one that is AC powered or are certain USB powered models OK? Are some brands better suited for Dish and if so, are only certain models within the brand name acceptable. I don't want to buy one (hopefully tomorrow) and bring it home only to find out it won't work with Dish Network.

Thanks for any help and I have learned a lot by reading threads on this site!

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie and I have done some searches to find out what brand/type of
EHD I should buy to use the DVR function on my 211. I find conflicting answers in some of the threads so I thought I would ask outright!
Should I only buy one that is AC powered or are certain USB powered models OK? Are some brands better suited for Dish and if so, are only certain models within the brand name acceptable. I don't want to buy one (hopefully tomorrow) and bring it home only to find out it won't work with Dish Network.

Thanks for any help and I have learned a lot by reading threads on this site!
Simple answer. AC powered ONLY , 750 GB max and about any Western Digital to be safe, NOT Seaqate, sleep mode issues.

Thanks KAB! That is what I thought was the correct way to go so I will shop for a WD model with AC power. I really don't need more than 750gb (in fact a 500 will do for my requirements). I only want to record a few shows or movies and then watch them and delete them. I really want the pause, FF and rewind features that I use on my other receiver (a VIP622) all the time. But my wife likes to watch her shows on that TV and I go to my "mancave" where the VIP211 resides and I miss the DVR features. Soon I should be a "happy camper".

Not sure about the 211, but the 211k works with up to a 1 TB drive with the latest firmware. I have a Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green that seems to be a great drive for this application. Mine is mounted in an Antec MX-100 enclosure. Cool and quiet.

Last edited:
Not sure about the 211, but the 211k works with up to a 1 TB drive with the latest firmware. I have a Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green that seems to be a great drive for this application. Mine is mounted in an Antex MX-100 enclosure. Cool and quiet.

Now that you mention it; I better check my receiver and determine if I have a
VIP211 or 211K. I don't think it makes much difference but I will check it anyway. Did some searching on the internet and my local Staples store has a sale on the WD MyBook Essential EHD that is AC-powered and 500gb for $79 so I will probably run over to their store tomorrow morning and pick one up.

Thanks for your input!

I have a ViP 211 with a 1T Western Digital MyBook. It gives me approx. 100 hours of HD, and has worked flawlessly for 4 months. The only difference I see between it and my 622s/722 is that the "rewind" button seems to go back 30 seconds vs 10 seconds on the DVRs.

I have a ViP 211 with a 1T Western Digital MyBook. It gives me approx. 100 hours of HD, and has worked flawlessly

Ditto. I've only had mine for two weeks but it works perfectly. Doesn't get as hot as other EHD's I've had either.

For what it's worth, I've got a WD ehd and all of a sudden I started getting an error message when I tried to move more shows over to it. When I was on the phone with Dish tech support the other day on a customer issue I mentioned this and he said that it was a "known issue" with WD ehd. Said he wasn't sure what the issue was but that my problem was not uncommon. Got a buddy using a Seagate and it has worked fine. The WD drive I've got is a 500g that I bought from Wal-Mart for about $70....it was one of the ones that's compact in size. The problem may be more MODEL related than brand related.

The WD drive I've got is a 500g that I bought from Wal-Mart for about $70....it was one of the ones that's compact in size.
Is it the My Passport drive? If so, it's a USB powered drive and you are lucky that it ever worked at all.

Now that you mention it; I better check my receiver and determine if I have a
VIP211 or 211K. I don't think it makes much difference but I will check it anyway. Did some searching on the internet and my local Staples store has a sale on the WD MyBook Essential EHD that is AC-powered and 500gb for $79 so I will probably run over to their store tomorrow morning and pick one up.

Thanks for your input!

I just activated that exact HD on my 211K on Wednesday. It is working great.

You better be appreciate of other's work and time for such tests and postings.
Or you will be in position do it by yourself.

Or continue to post WAG and ignore real knowledge.

You're often cryptic in composition. Search has trouble latching on. Hard for some to understand even when found.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)