What Equipment will I need to change to new 44 Switch?

ilaudio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
I currently have a Dish 500 system with the old style LNB's and a 61.5 dish with 1 lnb (old style) as well. I am using a 6000, 811, 4900 & 301. Considering adding a 921.

My question is 2 fold:

1. If I just want to add the ability to have more receivers can I daisy chain another sw switch or does something else need to be done?

2. If I elect to upgrade to new switches (44) that allow for splitting of cable for DVRs, etc---what will I need to upgrade? (any dish promos?)

1. DP external switches have satellite pass-through outputs to allow for chaining.

2. Putting a DP Quad on the Dish500 and adding a DPP44 will get you to the account maximum 6 receivers. Connect the 4900 and 6000 to the DPP44. The 921 can be connected to the 2 open outputs of the DP Quad or the DPP44, or just 1 output of the DPP44 if you add a DP Separator.

BobaBird: You're mostly correct, but you missed that he has THREE birds. Using a quad means 2 tuners don't get the third bird. That might be OK, but if not and if ONE tuner (the 301) can live without 3rd bird:
DP Twin, DPP44, DP Separator for the 921, DP21 on the cascade outputs.

Thanks Simple Simon...but isn't BobaBird still correct since the DP44 can handle for satellites. Actually--I was going to get a DPQuad for 500 (119 & 10) twin for 61.5 and feed 2 leades from quad and 1 from twin into DP34. That will still give me four out of the switch and I only need 4 61.5's because the 301 and 4900 can't use the 61.5 HD programming anyway.

Simple Simon made a good catch. I had to read the 3rd line of post #5 a few times, kept reading cascade in the traditional sense of adding a satellite feed by having one switch feed into another instead of the DPP44's chain pass-through outputs that you meant. Clever solution for the 5th receiver! An alternative to get 3 sats to all the outputs is to use a DP34 in place of the DP21.

My solution in post #3 happens to work because we didn't know the side slot was only needed for the HD receivers. Using the DP34 means you will have to run 2 lines from it to the 921, and you will be maxed on outputs until you chain another switch. Also, with no DP Plus switch, you will have to buy 2 DP adapters for the 4900 and 6000.

If it is important to hook up the 921 using just 1 coax you will want the DPP44 instead. Compare the expense of the DPP44 + DP Separator vs DP34 + 2 DP adapters + expense & hassle of 2nd RG6 run.

I assume you currently have an SW64? Another option not mentioned is keeping your existing LNBs and adding a second SW64 hooked up in parallel using splitters and feed loads. It's a bit complicated and there's no single cable option for dual tuner receivers.
Diagram: http://tinyurl.com/4oyba (PDF at dishnetwork.com)
Photo: http://www.dishretailer.com/ts2000/tradeshow/00000315.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)