What features do I gain by connecting my 722 to my broadband via my WiFi network?

fredtx

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
I am not very technical so bear with me. I do not know what value there is by connecting my 722 to the internet. Can anyone give me an idea of what benefit this will provide?

It gives you access to quite a bit of streaming,and on demand shows.If you have bb@home,or hbo,it's really nice.

video on demand, setting up and deleting timers and recordings via computer, tablet, or smattering phone. Signal integrity monitoring ( if your system detects issues before you even see them a service call can be created to figure out why there is an issue), and if you add a sling adapter the ability to watch your programming remotely on a computer, tablet or smartphone.

The main reason is for viewing tracking but Dish will not tell you that. This is where the Ratings information comes from if they can see what you are viewing and for how long. No tech will tell you this cause their job is to connect to the broadband you have or it counts against their "percentage" and if they don't hit a certain mark (a stupid high % amount) then they drop a pay scale. So as a tech I'll tell you whatever you want to hear to get it connected which are a few things mentioned already...but to be honest the biggest benefit is the signal monitoring. If they or that is the computer can see that your signals are dropping over a course of time then Dish will call you and say they are sending someone out to check it out and not cost you a tech visit no matter if you have insurance or not.

SO...does it really hurt anything, nope not one bit if you don't mind them knowing what you watch and how you watch it and by them I mean the computers, you really don't have someone sitting there spying on you.

When the receiver "phones home" at night it can send a health report. Several people have reported that they have been called out of the blue and told that they need a tech visit to fix a problem.

When the receiver "phones home" at night it can send a health report. Several people have reported that they have been called out of the blue and told that they need a tech visit to fix a problem.
Yeh...and most get freaked out, thinking they're getting scammed. Damned if you do...

Yeh...and most get freaked out, thinking they're getting scammed. Damned if you do...

Yep. Dish employees are going to be sensitive to this, and as I always tell folks, if you are unsure, hang up and call 800-333-3474. If we have an outbound call to a customer, there WILL be notes placed by that outbound agent.

When a customer has the receiver connected, it shows info in our "STB Health" tool. Some of the stuff it will send is signal quality (green, yellow, red) for the last three nightly call-ins on each satellite, whether TV1 is HDMI-connected, the TV2 modulator output, the remote addresses for remote 1 and 2, even stuff like how the guide is configured (up or down, etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)