What firmware works the best?

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I seem to be having issues locking on to transponders that simply just lock without any issues with my pansat9200. The GDMX feeds will lock for a second and then just go away like they are not there, and I cant lock at all the NBC HD mux on AMC1KU where as my pansat has no issues locking onto them.

So for those of you whom are able to lock onto them what software version are you using?

I seem to be having issues locking on to transponders that simply just lock without any issues with my pansat9200. The GDMX feeds will lock for a second and then just go away like they are not there, and I cant lock at all the NBC HD mux on AMC1KU where as my pansat has no issues locking onto them.

So for those of you whom are able to lock onto them what software version are you using?

azbox-0.9.5020-patch.bin

http://fw.azupd.com/

Pro,

Thanks. Yea I saw that in MAZ and actually updating as I type this. I was concerened with doing one of the daily firmwares but am becoming more adventurous. Simply put I dont want to brick the thing. Adside from that I'm really loving this thing and am learning alot about the box. I'm glad I made the purchase and by far the experence with this box is a thousand times better than what I had with the pansat 9200.

Recently upgraded my Premium HD from original factory firmware 2238 to almost-latest 5020. Have since noticed clock setting is not retained when rebooting, sometimes does not show a picture after waking up from standby (HDMI handshaking issue, I think), and will not connect to my wireless network. Am not much of a fan of the Easy Shutdown menu, either, as it seems unnecessary. All these operational details worked fine before the upgrade.

So, what's the best/newest/most stable firmware version that will not reset the clock when rebooting, does not have HDMI connection problems, will connect to my wireless network, will not illuminate the front panel blue light when in standby (version 2380 did that!), and allows labeling of reserved programs (a useful feature that my original 2238 didn't have)?

Also am curious what the last "official" release was and what's been improved in all the unofficial releases since then? Can't seem to find anywhere to download official firmware anymore (the forum for firmware releases azbox.com is empty).
__
Neil

Azbox Snapshot

Latest firmware is 5209 and I read on here that some have had "issues" with it so I didn't load that one. I'm on 5020 and have been now for a good while and since I don't watch YouTube on the AZ I didn't figure I needed the new firmware to supposedly fix that one issue.

orac my clocks reset themselves via the internet connection so they're always correct and BTW, I shut power completely off on my AZs when I'm not using them. Clock resets itself when it boots back up.

Don't know if HDMI is a problem as I don't use that function. All my TVs have RF inputs so my Elite connects directly to the TV via RF out and the Ultra connects via an RF Modulator. Don't use the other functions you use either so I'm not much help there.

5020 seems to be the most stable of the firmware that I've tried to date, and I tried them all over the last two years.

K9SAT,

I am using firmware version 0.9.5020 at this time (FEB 2, 2011) and have used it since it was issued in August of 2010. There is a later version that was issued just recently to correct for a YouTube feature failure, but I think that may have failed to keep up. The new version 0.9.5209 may have other problems as well. I have heard rumors and I installed it personally and I did not like the response either. It isn't bad, but it has more quirks and problems than it resolves.

If you stick with the 5020 revision, you will be fine. The differences in every revision were quite subtle. Nothing major that I can detect unless you go back extremely far in the revisions.

If you install 0.9.5020 you will at least be on the same page as most of us. That will help you out the most. We would all be discusing apples vs apples here, you understand.

You can investigate the new Enigma 2 if you are bold. I personally don't go there because I am still learning the ropes with the AZBox official firmware. I do not wish to start all over again at this time. E2 also has some bugs to work out at this point. Eventually, E2 may become the way to go, so keep your eyes and ears open on the subject. Personally, I am just happy with the status quo.

RADAR

1 important question to the OP. Is the AZbox slaved off the pansat? or are you using a multiswitch to distribute to both receivers?. Do you guys think there will be a lot of difference in tuner sensitivity on the same AZbox with different firmwares?. I think this is a signal issue rather than something a firmware will fix. I know my Azbox prem+ has better tuner sensitivity than the CS 8100 , and very noticeable, but maybe the pansat has a better one than Azbox, does anyone know?.

The Add-on S2 board for the Pansat 9200 is much more sensitive than the original built-in tuner, that's a given. It's very difficult to evaluate tuners when they are close in capabilities, and there are other factors involved.
:(

Thanks for the responses to my ressurection of this thread.

Turns out I had 5209 loaded, but now I've loaded 5020 with no changes in my problems. Haven't used it enough to see if the HDMI problem is still there, though. If I could get it to connect to my home network wirelessly like it did with 2238, I think I'd be happy enough. I set my clock manually, not quite trusting the automatic time setting options when I have programs scheduled to record.
___
Neil

When loading / reloading Firmwares, some (or all) of the Networking features may be turned off.
You need to re-enable them.

I am running 5209? and seem to have Diseqc 1.2 Motor issues and Poor response on Switch and Signal / Quality Meters, too lazy to switch back. LOL

When loading / reloading Firmwares, some (or all) of the Networking features may be turned off.
You need to re-enable them.

I am running 5209? and seem to have Diseqc 1.2 Motor issues and Poor response on Switch and Signal / Quality Meters, too lazy to switch back. LOL

Lak7,

Firmware 5209 is the most recent which tried to address the YouTube glitch. That sounds right from your description as I noticed that the signal level and quality level response were extremely slow to "pop" in. I didn't like this and I wasn't really concerned with the YouTube thing anyway, so I did switch back.

The DiSEqC 1.2 troubles apparently exist with all versions. However, I have a suspicion that this is partially our error as the "end user" and partially a frailty or programming problem from OpenSat. The way "we" want to use the AZBox, like we are accustomed to with other STB boxes, doesn't play well. If you use the editor programs, much of this goes away, but it still isn't perfect in my opinion. I didn't stick with the 5209 version long enough to test and verify if it was worse than the 5020 version, but I would certainly take your word for that if that is what your experience was.

Regarding firmware upgrades: If you are going upward in version and OpenSat does not specifically state that there is a change in the network services features, You should not witness a change in these settings UNLESS you perform a FORMAT APPLICATION AREA. If you simply upgrade via USB, you should not detect any settings alterations in this respect. They should all remain active and retain your personalized settings.

If you go in reverse (return to an older firmware version because you do not like the newest one that you installed) I have to question whether it will be required to perform the FORMAT APPLICATION AREA in order to truly return the box to the previous revision and especially when attempting to return to a much older one. I am quite sure that going forward (unless otherwise specified by OpenSat to do so) you can just load each new version upon the other and keep advancing as each firmware builds upon the previous versions. However, when reverting to past versions, I don't know if the same, simple process completely removes all the aspects of the newer versions so that you truly arrive at a "virgin" aspect of the older. I will try to find clarification on this from OpenSat directly, if I can.

RADAR

Have my wireless working again with 5020. Had to force it to fail a wired connection when there wasn't one before it would present the setup parameters for a wireless connection.

Have noticed that since upgrading from 2238 I can't get a good recording of NBC HD East. Used to record okay, but in 4 gig segments. PBS HD East records okay with 5020. Acceleration on or off made no difference. I remember reading about problems with high bandwidth channels in the forum so I guess I'll have to do some reading to what the latest status of that problem is.

Haven't tried DiSEqC 1.2 since the upgrade yet, so don't know if I'll see any improvements there. I remember it never behaved with 2238.
__
Neil

Lak7,

Firmware 5209 is the most recent which tried to address the YouTube glitch. That sounds right from your description as I noticed that the signal level and quality level response were extremely slow to "pop" in. I didn't like this and I wasn't really concerned with the YouTube thing anyway, so I did switch back.

The DiSEqC 1.2 troubles apparently exist with all versions. However, I have a suspicion that this is partially our error as the "end user" and partially a frailty or programming problem from OpenSat. The way "we" want to use the AZBox, like we are accustomed to with other STB boxes, doesn't play well. If you use the editor programs, much of this goes away, but it still isn't perfect in my opinion. I didn't stick with the 5209 version long enough to test and verify if it was worse than the 5020 version, but I would certainly take your word for that if that is what your experience was.

Regarding firmware upgrades: If you are going upward in version and OpenSat does not specifically state that there is a change in the network services features, You should not witness a change in these settings UNLESS you perform a FORMAT APPLICATION AREA. If you simply upgrade via USB, you should not detect any settings alterations in this respect. They should all remain active and retain your personalized settings.

If you go in reverse (return to an older firmware version because you do not like the newest one that you installed) I have to question whether it will be required to perform the FORMAT APPLICATION AREA in order to truly return the box to the previous revision and especially when attempting to return to a much older one. I am quite sure that going forward (unless otherwise specified by OpenSat to do so) you can just load each new version upon the other and keep advancing as each firmware builds upon the previous versions. However, when reverting to past versions, I don't know if the same, simple process completely removes all the aspects of the newer versions so that you truly arrive at a "virgin" aspect of the older. I will try to find clarification on this from OpenSat directly, if I can.

RADAR

I received a direct reply to the question regarding "FORMATTING THE APPLICATION AREA" from the OpenSat Support Team. Here is their answer:

Thank you so much for your contact.
We suggest to format the application area if you try to install a firmware version with important differences between them. For example if you have a very old version and you want to install the current one...

Best Regards,
Your Support Team
--
OpenSAT, Lda.
Edificio OPENSAT, Lagoa
C.P 4950-283 Mazedo, MNÇ - PORTUGAL

I think that this reveals that the OpenSat team perceives that it is important to perform the FORMAT APPLICATION AREA when progressing forward (in the instances mentioned) and therefore, if regressing in firmware versions to an older version, it would be VERY important.

RADAR

Like Lak7, I am using the latest Firmware 5209 for Youtube - (see the great Super Bowl commercials), and am also using DiSEqC1.2 with my Von Weise Actuator, VBoxIII, and 12 Ft Mesh Dish. I have 31 Sats Scanned in. There are a few quirks with DiSEqC1.2: ie the East Limit keeps coming in with every Sat that is scanned in, and I move the Dish to the new Sat positions for the Strongest Tp Signal for S & Q with the Remote from the VBox III. All these problems go away when you Store the Current Sat position in the Azbox Rx, and then Reboot immediately after Storing that latest Sat Position. At least this has worked fine for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts