What foods do you miss from back home?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
While I was fixing a snack for lunch today I was wondering about all the foods that I miss from back home. I have only moved a few hundred miles away but I can not get some of my favorites down here. Here are a few that I always stock up on when I go back home.

1) Koegel Vienna's
2) pickled bologna
3) pickled red hots

Pickled bologna and red hots are great with cheese and crackers. I sure wish we could get the Koegel products down here.

What are your favorites from back home?

I know when I was in New Jersey a few years back they had never heard of biscuits and gravy.

I was born and raised in Cleveland and I'm still here, but I have family out west and I wish a could get some fresh roasted hatch chile peppers out here

While I was fixing a snack for lunch today I was wondering about all the foods that I miss from back home. I have only moved a few hundred miles away but I can not get some of my favorites down here. Here are a few that I always stock up on when I go back home.

1) Koegel Vienna's
2) pickled bologna
3) pickled red hots

Pickled bologna and red hots are great with cheese and crackers. I sure wish we could get the Koegel products down here.

What are your favorites from back home?

Jag, where are you from and where do you live now?

Born and raised in NE Ohio, but my parents and extended family are all from New York.

Every time we go to NY, we always make sure to bring back Half Moon cookies. (Chocolate or vanilla cookie with white and chocolate icing.) Seems like a fairly simple thing to find or make, but I've yet to find any in NE Ohio quite like these.

Born and raised in NE Ohio, but my parents and extended family are all from New York.

Every time we go to NY, we always make sure to bring back Half Moon cookies. (Chocolate or vanilla cookie with white and chocolate icing.) Seems like a fairly simple thing to find or make, but I've yet to find any in NE Ohio quite like these.

MY GOD!! That's AMAZING!:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

I was born and raised in Cleveland and I'm still here, but I have family out west and I wish a could get some fresh roasted hatch chile peppers out here

Interest in this day and age.

Note that there is no such pepper variety called hatch; but it is actually a simple New Mexican chiles (green or red) that is grown in the Hatch, NM area and market by that name. Another example of this marketing is the Vidalia onion; it is simply a hybrid sweet yellow granex onion but one that is grown around the Vidalia, Georgia area and recommended by the Vidalia Onion Committee. I find the Texas, Walla Walla and Maui are virtually identical. If you can find ANY New Mexico chiles you can roast then yourself very easily at home like I do. I am sure someone locally has them; they may just have the under another regional marketed name. I HATE regional naming; they should simply label stuff by it actual variety or species.

I lived in AZ for many years and even transferring here to Memphis I can still find every fruit and veggie. The regional packed goods like some sodas or snacks I can see not finding; but you really can't find the peppers? Are there any natural or farmer's market around? Have you been to the Hatch Chile Fest, we loved it. We have a guy a work that cultivates his own peppers at home; maybe you could try that too; its real easy.

http://www.wholesalechili.com/index_2.htm

http://www.nmchili.com/why_hatch_nm.htm

http://www.nmchili.com/

Last edited:
Interest in this day and age.

Note that there is no such pepper variety called hatch; but it is New Mexican chiles grown and roasted in the Hatch, NM area.

I lived in AZ for many years and even transferring here to Memphis I can still find every fruit and veggie. The regional packed goods like some sodas or snacks I can see not finding; but you really can't find the peppers? Are there any natural or farmer's market around? Have you been to the Hatch Chile Fest, we loved it. Why Hatch Chile?

I've recently been able to find Anaheim chiles around here (its weird that they're not always available). They're good, but theres something about getting them fresh roasted in the big drum. :)

I've never been to the hatch chile fest, but its something I will definately do. The food network did a special on it a few years back and I knew then that I had to go.

Yep, if you are a chile lover and I bet you are; YOU MUST GO. I think dfergie has been as well. Tucson, AZ also has a decent chile fest in the fall. I would also recommend the Gilroy, CA garlic fest.

The Anaheim chiles are a bit milder cousin of the New Mexico; They are also called the California chile

I miss coney island breakfast's, we had a coney shop 300ft from our house and we would get two farmers omeletes with a side of hashbrowns. I miss veggie fries from the stand in Kerry town shops in Ann Arbor.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've only lived in 1 place so I have to list foods from other cities :)

I miss Chicago Style hot dogs and deep dish pizza. I have to have both every time I'm there.

I'm from New Orleans. So, of course, I miss all of it.

I miss Tastee Donuts, the hot glazed super fluffy ones.

I also miss beignets, but only from Cafe Du Monde. I also miss their coffee with chicory, although I hated it and don't even drink coffee.

I miss sitting in a back roads diner and hearing a customer sit down at a nearby table. Waitress asks "What'll you have" and the diner replies, "it's Monday, ain't it?" You see, Mondays are for Red Beans and Rice, generally with Andouille sausage. Of course, it's time as well as distance that separates me from that.

And it's Hoppin' John on New Year's.

I miss driving the back roads, looking at cut down 55 gal drums boiling away on the roadside, knowin' dem's crawdads in dere.

I miss Falstaff, Jax and Regal.

I miss all the fresh raw oysters available at almost every bar and small diner.

I miss people knowing the only right way to cook crabs- boiling.

I miss the pickups on the roadside, with coolers of shrimp going for maybe $3-$4 a pound. Yep, that's the price even today.

I miss eating seafood almost every day.

I miss the gumbo.

I miss the thick fried catfish, from the ones that grew big feasting downstream of the sewage treatment plant.

I miss po-boys, dressed. Even though they don't use the right bread anymore, Katrina.

I miss it all.

Home is where you hang the hat...

As a native Detroiter I miss Vernor's Ginger Ale, Sanders Buttercreme Cake (the old style, not the new square coffee-like cake), Shatila Baklava, and Molson Brador; I still miss the "southern style" grits from when I was stationed in Southwest Georgia (SOWEGA!) in the 80s; miss Virginia/North Carolina style BBQ after leaving the Mid-Atlantic; and I have been missing my grandma's homemade pierogi, galumpki, kielbasa and kishka (when she passed); and my other grandma's homemade spaghetti, ravioli, rigatoni, mostacholi, and lasagna (when she passed).

Hardly a month goes by when my wife doesn't complain she can't get Maryland crabcake or something called funnelcake.

I am getting hungry!:hungry:

Peanut Patties. Can't find them anywhere here.

Attachments

• DSC03733.JPG
    DSC03733.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 234

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)