What gauge wire for reed switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shicks4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Kansas
What gauge shielded wire would i need to use for a run over 200'. Contemplating running my setup to a different building that i just over 200' away. Already ordered rg-11 and some ends But want to make sure I run the proper size wire for the reed switch and motor.

What gauge shielded wire would i need to use for a run over 200'. Contemplating running my setup to a different building that i just over 200' away. Already ordered rg-11 and some ends But want to make sure I run the proper size wire for the reed switch and motor.
Wire sizing is based on how many amperes will be moving through the wire. What's the rating on the reed switch (or the components it supports)?

I thought i had read somewhere that for runs over 200' it was a good idea to upsize not only the coax but the power and sensor wires for the motor. Im going to be buying a new venture actuator (Venture MA-818-36) in the future. Currently im using a very old superjack 2 that i know nearly nothing about. Just dont want to buy 18Ga. if i need 16Ga. is the only reason i ask. As i dont have access to ribbon cable that long ill have to order separate shielded wire.

18g stranded will be fine for the sensor wire. Be sure to use two conductor plus shield. Check out the 3 conductor plus shield that is used for security systems.

Use 14g or better stranded for motor power. Low voltage landscaping wire is a good option.
Thanks, I was looking at a 4 conductor plus shield, already have the 14g wire that i use for sprinkler systems.

Reactions: Titanium
I have cat 5 ran for mine over 100'. No problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the SatelliteGuys app!

ill be at nearly 200' though. already have 115' of ribbon cable but going to run to a different building so figured id need to upsize the wire. even if i dont need to its safe insurance.

Will the cable below work on a 150 ft run if I double the power cables? (Single cable for the sensors, and doubled cables for power) the cables will be run on top of the ground for now. There's no amp or volt rating listed except for 'low voltage'. :confused:

I just took a chance on a 'New' DiSEqC box on Ebay that someone supposedly has never removed from the box. $35 with free shipping. If it's good, mama's gonna move up to a motorized bud. (If it's bad...well...let's just say she will never know about it. ;) )

18/2 Gauge AWG 500ft Alarm Security Wire Cable Stranded Conductor Shielded
Brand New High Quality Alarm Cable 500FT. This high quality wire is used for all alarm sensor connections or for other low voltage applications. Use it to connect door and window sensors, motion detectors, keypads as well as other hardwired accessories to your alarm panels. Ideal for Indoor Remote Control of security, Intercom, and Sound Systems. Flexible PVC outer jacket with Rip cord. Can also be used for Powering Limited-Control Circuits or Burglar Alarms.
1 x 18 AWG, 2 stranded shielded conductors.
Easy-pull box.
Color: White.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)