What gives with MLB Extra Innings?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smaug07

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
Does anyone have any idea why today, Sunday, July 15th, the MLB Extra Innings schedule stops with games starting at 2PM EDT? There were three later games originally scheduled, but now it appears as if these will not be offered in the package. I checked the InDemand schedule and it is the same with that service as well. I can't imagine why no games are allowed past 2PM, unless ESPN was showing a game this afternoon, which they are not.

This is just another example of how inferior this package still is. I mean, after shelling out nearly $200 to see games, there are still many that are either blacked out (such as Saturday afternoon games), or not available (any OTA broadcast not available on an RSN, other than WWOR). If anyone has any insight as to why this happening today, please shed the light for me. Thanks.

ESPN's Sunday baseball starts at 3:00 PT today because of the ESPYs. I don't think it is right that ESPN can move the start time of a game to accomodate their schedule then force blackouts on all other teams, but that appears to be the case.

Thanks for the info. Although, my on screen guide lists no ESPN game at 3PM. Even if they do start a game earlier, I think this is ridiculous that we as premium subscribers should have to put up with this nonsense. I mean the hell with all these "exclusive" deals - we pay for the games and we should see them. If any thing, I think that when we pay these fees to watch games, that should supercede all of the "copyright" b.s. that the leagues and stations enforce.

I was not happy at all when I got home from work yesterday and there were no 4pm games on. Why do we have to suffer because of the stupid ESPY's. MLB has to step up and take care of the consumers once in a while and not allow FOX and ESPN these exclusive windows.

I was not happy at all when I got home from work yesterday and there were no 4pm games on. Why do we have to suffer because of the stupid ESPY's. MLB has to step up and take care of the consumers once in a while and not allow FOX and ESPN these exclusive windows.

Why would MLB do that....FOX & ESPN pay HUGE amounts of money for these rights. Then FOX & ESPN passes these costs onto ALL Satellite and cable customers. Heck FOX can even pass on the costs to OTA customers (you know your local affiliate has to raise their ad rates, your favorite pizza place raises their pies by a dollar). If "fans" quit going to games the league will just move the teame elsewhere and get the state government (thru you the taxpayer) to build the owner a new stadium. Makes perfect business sense to me.

I look at it as...if the game is on it's on, if not, then I will be doing something else. Seems you guys aren't old enough to remember 1 game every week on Saturday, heck I can't believe we get to see as many as we do. I am as big a fan as there is, but theres more out there.

I look at it as...if the game is on it's on, if not, then I will be doing something else. Seems you guys aren't old enough to remember 1 game every week on Saturday, heck I can't believe we get to see as many as we do. I am as big a fan as there is, but theres more out there.

Heck I'm 40 and remember trying to get the grass mowed and as much other stuff done on Saturday so I could watch the Phillies via antenna on Sunday afternoon!

I too am almost 40 and certainly remember being only to receive a handful of baseball games each year. But that isn't the point. The point is that as subscribers to EI, we the consumer are paying top dollar to get what we want, which is out of market games (we do not just get to see games like FlyingJ alluded to, we pay for them), and if MLB is going to continually delete out certain games, then they should insist in D* and InDemand on putting up a disclaimer that not all telecasts will be available. The whole "up to 60 games a week" disclaimer is bogus, because I have been receiving as many as 80 games a week this season, which is great, but it still does not excuse why not all games are included in the package. I understand the whole "business" argument in regards to FOX and ESPN, but I don't think a relatively small percentage of their "potential" audience tuning into other games, that they pay extra for, is going to adversely affect their precious ratings that much. In fact, when my team, the Yankees, or my local team, the Red Sox, are not on FOX or ESPN, I do not watch any of their games. I'm sure some diehard fans may tune into a riveting game between two teams they care little about, but I'm thinking they are few and far between. My impression is that most people who subscribe to EI do so to follow one out of market team in particular. I'm sure there are some exceptions where some fans may follow the entire league, but again, I'd bet they are not the majority. So, if a fan purchases the EI package to follow his/her team, say the Angels, and ESPN blacks this telecast out, due to exclusivity, such as this past weekend, and the game ESPN shows is say, Mets-Marlins, do you think the viewer is going to tune in to the ESPN game? Hell no, most likely he will be ticked that he could not see the game that he wanted to see (and paying the premium price to see) and totally refuse to watch the ESPN game. I know this is my sentiment when it comes to the Saturday FOX telecasts that black out the 1PM Yankee games. If the game starts at 1PM, and most games play for around 3 hours, then it will probably end around 4PM, just in time for the start of the FOX game. Chances are I would be in a baseball mode and might tune into the FOX game just to keep the day going. However, when FOX causes the 1PM game to be blacked out, I totally lose interest in baseball for the day. So they've completely lost me in their guarded ratings. You all out there may have a different view on this subject, but as a consumer who readily gets access to all NFL games through Sunday Ticket (which I am very happy with), and have had NBA League Pass, which is also great and shows virtually all NBA games, I will say there is still definitely room for improvement with Extra Innings. I will continue to subscribe, as long as the cost is reasonable, to follow my team, but I still will be unhappy when they pull stunts like they did this past Sunday.

I do not disagree at all! I do indeed subscribe to catch the Phillies games, but we have been living with these "rules" for quite a while now. I use to get all worked up when my game wasn't on because of the ESPN or Fox thing, I am just saying that thought totally bogus, it is what it is. It sucks but I am past the point of getting pissed off about it. I guess when it comes to those Saturday or Sunday games I just look at the MLBEI schedule and hope that they are on.

I understand FlyingJ's point of view about the fact that the "rules" have been in place for quite a while now. However, if everyone just sits back and accepts this kind of treatment, they will just continue to take advantage of us, their premium paying customers. When I first subscribed to EI, back in 2000, all Wednesday night games were blacked out due to ESPN, which I thought was totally ridiculous. Well, from what I understand, many people complained, and somehow the blackouts were lifted on Wednesday night. I'm not sure what exactly happened to change the "rules", but it just shows that something can possibly happen, but not if we all just sit back and do nothing. I've written several e-mails to both D* and MLB expressing my disapointment in the schedule. I haven't received any comforting notes back, but at least I went to bat, even if maybe I struck out swinging. It may be impossible to change the whole FOX blackout rules, but wouldn't it be worth at least trying as a group, who pays a lot of money just to watch baseball, to change the greedy circumstances?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)