What Happened To Commercial Skip ?

At the end of your contract you can do what dish did. Tell them you want to renegotiate it, and if hey don't meet your terms that you feel is satisfying, you can drop them. Just like they dropped CBS until they could come to terms.

Look at Dish's subscription numbers drops in each quarter. Many people are dropping Dish and I am sure much of it is linked to Autohop.

Yea the skip forward works but that is not the point. They had an Auto Hop feature that they were advertising as a "we have and they don't,must have" feature. They were using it as a tool to sell subs and Hoppers.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yea the skip forward works but that is not the point. They had an Auto Hop feature that they were advertising as a "we have and they don't,must have" feature. They were using it as a tool to sell subs and Hoppers.
Like auto hop is the ONLY feature/advantage of the Hopper?

Reactions: Tampa8
Like auto hop is the ONLY feature/advantage of the Hopper?
That is a stupid response. Not one person said or suggested that. DISH does not read this forum so you will not get brownie points for a-- kissing.:)

Not had. They still have an autohop feature. Everyone keeps saying it's gone... It hasn't gone anywhere. It did delay, rather than lose the channel entirely. Is that what you would prefer? Instead of waiting 7 days to autohop CBS, we could just not have CBS, CBSPorts and Showtime. I'm sure customers would be much happier about that.

But really, waiting 7 days it may as well not be there.

As the OP I got my answer so there is not sense beating this horse any further. :)

Auto hop was a gimmick to sell the hopper. When they went from Xip 813 to Hopper they went with Auto hop to sell the hopper. Now I think the ability to use one tuner to record the big 4 networks , so you don't miss any of prime time, is also a great feature that isn't advertised that much. The reason why ? Most likely that it isn't as easy to use as a gimmick, like Auto hop or Hopper. Also as I have stated before, the auto hop feature was created and used as a negotiation tactic for DISH to use when the networks came up for renewal for the best price for DISH. Each time the contracts come up, DISH can once again use it as a reason for the networks to be reasonable in their price hikes. Because the networks depend on advertising revenue and for the subs to see the commercials. The networks got their 3 to 7 days without auto hop, instead of just hiking their price for carriage by more money than either DISH or it's customers wanted to pay. The result you have to use the skip feature and press the button on the remote control. I would rather skip the button myself, rather than pay more to watch my local networks. Wouldn't you?

I've never even used it, as I don't use PTAT. So, I couldn't give a rat's butt whether it is delayed or not. Pressing the skip ahead button is so damn easy, I don't really need anything easier.

And, if the Hop technology has allowed Dish to get better deals from the networks, so be it. Excellent use of technology to leverage business deals.

Reactions: bobvick and ChadT41
Auto hop was a gimmick to sell the hopper. When they went from Xip 813 to Hopper they went with Auto hop to sell the hopper. Now I think the ability to use one tuner to record the big 4 networks , so you don't miss any of prime time, is also a great feature that isn't advertised that much. The reason why ? Most likely that it isn't as easy to use as a gimmick, like Auto hop or Hopper. Also as I have stated before, the auto hop feature was created and used as a negotiation tactic for DISH to use when the networks came up for renewal for the best price for DISH. Each time the contracts come up, DISH can once again use it as a reason for the networks to be reasonable in their price hikes. Because the networks depend on advertising revenue and for the subs to see the commercials. The networks got their 3 to 7 days without auto hop, instead of just hiking their price for carriage by more money than either DISH or it's customers wanted to pay. The result you have to use the skip feature and press the button on the remote control. I would rather skip the button myself, rather than pay more to watch my local networks. Wouldn't you?
Auto-hop was added much later. IIRC, the Hopper was out for like two years before it was added. So, no, it was not a gimmick to sell Hopper at the beginning.

It was out Around 6-8 months before it was added. Hopper released around feb-apr 2012, and autohop came out around sept-oct 2012.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts