What happened to the site with great info?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

timmac

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Senoia, Georgia
I started coming here last year in July. There use to be a lot of info on D* and what was going on and on the horizon. Predictions on when programming was going to be available. Info on satellites. Info on when the new HD DVR would be available. Sunday ticket, petitions and the board just seemed to be flooded with great information. Longhorn use to give discourses on the upcoming changes to expect at D*. Did something happen? Did everyone drift to Dish? Did they go to a new forum? What happened to all the great information on the horizon. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure many appreciate information that is already available. Like the next 24 markets, the daily debate of true HD and questions about dish pointing, but there was something riveting about the horizon stuff and I don't mean what is going to happen in 2009 (if I'm alive).

With respect....

I think some have drifted to Dish but Dish has the hot hand right now. They actually have activity and actual changes. If you look at it, the only thing D* has right now is the slow rollout of MPEG4 HD LILs for select cities. D* is so tight lipped and is not hitting their marks so I think folks have just given up on speculating.

I think its going to be dull here for another 6 months. Oh well, I think the tide will change in 2007 when we can talk about satellite launch delays and more D* unfulfilled promises. I know what you mean!!

Honestly DirecTV hasn't really had anything worth mentioning and when we do most consider it it to be not to exciting information.

We would love to bring you more exciting news and insight at DirecTV but there is nothing coming from DirecTV to report.

When there is you can be sure where you will read it first. :)

Scott I definately dont blame the site. I just think most of this falls on D*'s shoulders. They announced 1500 HD locals and 150 national HD channels. It seems like an eternity since they not only announced but had commercials. They dont even have the MPEG4 HD DVR ready. Dont get me wrong, I am pretty happy with my current configuration but for a company that talks about change, plans, direction, technology being key, etc they have a funny way of showing it.

I read a recent article about Murdoch talking about the key of technology and it has to get rolled out fast. I was busting a side since they cant even figure out how to get a new HD DVR out to market let alone all the bells and whistles they have hinted at or announced. Cynical, yes. I just want to see some deliverables then I will shut up. If they got rid of HDLite even Vurbano would shut up too!

Brewer4 said:
Scott I definately dont blame the site. I just think most of this falls on D*'s shoulders. They announced 1500 HD locals and 150 national HD channels. It seems like an eternity since they not only announced but had commercials. They dont even have the MPEG4 HD DVR ready. Dont get me wrong, I am pretty happy with my current configuration but for a company that talks about change, plans, direction, technology being key, etc they have a funny way of showing it.

I read a recent article about Murdoch talking about the key of technology and it has to get rolled out fast. I was busting a side since they cant even figure out how to get a new HD DVR out to market let alone all the bells and whistles they have hinted at or announced. Cynical, yes. I just want to see some deliverables then I will shut up. If they got rid of HDLite even Vurbano would shut up too!

I'm not too sure about that! :D :D

The 1500 LIL and 150 ONLY refers to the total capacity of their system after full deployment of all the new sats. It has been clearly stated as such and in no one has been said to be the actual number of viewable channels. Slow & steady is always better and leads to a much better end result as a company. Thanks to launch delays, they are barely behind on anything they have set a firm date on; and in fact doing very well schedule wise. Everything else was listed as in development and has never been given any release dates past season or quarter goals which have not even past yet.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
The 1500 LIL and 150 ONLY refers to the total capacity of their system after full deployment of all the new sats. It has been clearly stated as such and in no one has been said to be the actual number of viewable channels. Slow & steady is always better and leads to a much better end result as a company. Thanks to launch delays, they are barely behind on anything they have set a firm date on; and in fact doing very well schedule wise. Everything else was listed as in development and has never been given any release dates past season or quarter goals which have not even past yet.

Yes capacity we know that. There arnt even 150 national channels. However, the slow and steady contradicts what Murdoch has said on several occasions. They want to be the leader and I think they are going to eventually deliver. Your points are always around the turtle and thats ok. Some of us actually like to gossip and talk about this stuff. And thats ok too. But if D* wants to be the leader they do have to move a bit faster. Nobody says go all out and wreck things but I think they could do a better job of getting some things to market quicker.

The MPEG4 HD DVR is only a example. Its actually not a dramatic change product. Its only an incremental change (away from Tivo and new MPEG4). If they cant get this to market, the other stuff aint coming slow and steady. Unless there is a flood by years end, they are not moving briskly.

Last edited:
charper1 said:

You know, I understand what their position is; however, I am live in the real world and I realize (unlike D*) that we are a society of convenience! We want it now, we want it right and we want it RIGHT NOW! Forever, D* has stated, "we are the leader in HDTV" and they continually get SMOKED by their rival! They stood by as E* gobbled up what was left by VOOM and they just say "wait"! Well, I for one am tired of waiting. If they don't do something by the time my D* contract is up, I will need to switch. I had E* before and left them because their software was buggy and they had no lead on D*! But, Oh MY!, how times have changed. I just keep hearing and reading how E* is doing things and friends are pleased with E*. So, if "Someone up there Loves You, Directv!" I would hate to see it if they hated us!

Thats the mood out there J_Slimz. Charper1 almost sounds like a D* middle manager defending that all is good there are no problems, we havent announced any timelines so whats the issue? Its an interesting case of all the right plans but implementation is not exactly matching customer expectations. Remember, they declared themselves the leader in HD and announced the 1500, 150 capacity. The customer didnt.

I still think they got a chance to pull this off and its good to see HD LILs rolling out even though I get mine OTA. Reason why I want them faster, my thinking that will end that release phase so they can focus on HD nationals and Sport networks like NESN and Fox regionals. From a business perspective, capacity wont mean anything if they are always a step behind. And from what I have seen from Dish (who I dont think is a cutting edge leader) seems to be one step ahead. I had the 942 and if the 622 HD DVR is what I've seen on this forum, thats a great unit. Voom channels dont hurt neither does rolling out tons of LIL HD and national channels every few months. Way to go Dish. Thats what I am talking about.

Here is the recent Murdoch article I chuckled at.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_23/b3987019.htm

Last edited:
Just to point out: I am NOT defending anyone; I do not work for DirecTV nor hold their stock, but just trying to end the constant spread of the mis & dis-information by the twisting of comments to feed the hype. Hell, I want all the newest stuff as much as the next user, but I am not going to go out and mis-quote to try to make a point. Why do that? Just report the info exactly as it was reported or printed and let people make up their own minds, stop trying to lead them one way or another by twisting, leaving out, or adding info. Its that easy.

The only thing that makes all this stuff so funny is that DirecTV is going at their pace and not the impatient users pace (which are the minority of subs); but why is that a bad thing, why do you guys try to make it that? The only people pushing "the customer's expectations" past reality, is all the over stating and over hyping, and misinformation being spread. This is why companies shouldn't release ANY INFO until things are ready to go out the door. People takethe plans, ideas, and pre-announcements and treat them as Gospel that they NEVER were and then use that same stuff as bombs to lob a the company when they don't come fast enough to suit the minority of subs.

Spend all that energy working on the HD Lite issue, its a real issue. Push to get more HD national channels that matter; thats a good cause. Urge DirecTV to reopen the hardware competition like the old days. Fight for more packaging choice or a' la cart, but the constant bashing and mis-quotes are so old and tired and are just down right childish and silly. Don't read things into comments and don't add words or dates that never existed to try and make people believe more that was ever really said; thats why everyone stays in such total confusion and uproar, because the real facts were kept from them.

Go ahead and continue to ignore the board's rules by bashing, flaming or attacking other users as before; it seems to be easier than just admitting , that you over-stated or mis-quoted what the REAL FACTS WERE. Which is all that was being pointed out.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
The only thing that makes all this stuff so funny is that DirecTV is going at their pace and not the impatient users pace (which are the minority of subs); but why is that a bad thing, why do you guys try to make it that? The only people pushing "the customer's expectations" past reality, is all the over stating and over hyping, and misinformation being spread.

I would like to say this, Directv hasnt been rushing their stuff, and it shows with how they set everything up. It seems like Dish Network has revision after revision, we are going to put the Hd channels on this sat. so you will need this Dish..well now we are going to do this, so you need this dish, welllll now you need the new one to get 118.7, you get my point....while you have needed to upgrade to get Directv's newest Dishes it hasnt been as bad, and it seems like they have this blueprint and they know what they are doing, instead of just winging it as they go along and pulling subs to upgrade at their convinence. Also I want to say, I am not trying to say anything negative against Dish either, because lets face it, they are throwing up some major Hd channels, they are doing a great job at it, and seems like they may have taken this hand for a while....well see in 2007, both companies seem to know where they are going now, it will be a fun ride!

I know that E* currently has the better lineup right now but I'm not going to switch because it appears that D* will be better in the long run. I don't want to be one of those people that are always jumping back an forth. That seems expensive from a hardware and contractual stand point. However, if we get to the end of next year and D* has their new sats in the sky but they still are trailing E* then I would consider switching. My local cable company isn't any better than D* is right now (in some ways they are worse) so they aren't a real possibility.

charper1 said:
Just to point out: I am NOT defending anyone; I do not work for DirecTV nor hold their stock, but just trying to end the constant spread of the mis & dis-information by the twisting of comments to feed the hype. Hell, I want all the newest stuff as much as the next user, but I am not going to go out and mis-quote to try to make a point. Why do that? Just report the info exactly as it was reported or printed and let people make up their own minds, stop trying to lead them one way or another by twisting, leaving out, or adding info. Its that easy.

The only thing that makes all this stuff so funny is that DirecTV is going at their pace and not the impatient users pace (which are the minority of subs); but why is that a bad thing, why do you guys try to make it that? The only people pushing "the customer's expectations" past reality, is all the over stating and over hyping, and misinformation being spread. This is why companies shouldn't release ANY INFO until things are ready to go out the door. People takethe plans, ideas, and pre-announcements and treat them as Gospel that they NEVER were and then use that same stuff as bombs to lob a the company when they don't come fast enough to suit the minority of subs.

Spend all that energy working on the HD Lite issue, its a real issue. Push to get more HD national channels that matter; thats a good cause. Urge DirecTV to reopen the hardware competition like the old days. Fight for more packaging choice or a' la cart, but the constant bashing and mis-quotes are so old and tired and are just down right childish and silly. Don't read things into comments and don't add words or dates that never existed to try and make people believe more that was ever really said; thats why everyone stays in such total confusion and uproar, because the real facts were kept from them.

Go ahead and continue to ignore the board's rules by bashing, flaming or attacking other users as before; it seems to be easier than just admitting , that you over-stated or mis-quoted what the REAL FACTS WERE. Which is all that was being pointed out.

Whoosh. Thats the sound of what are talking about again. Bashing, flaming, misquoting. Huh?

uncrules said:
I know that E* currently has the better lineup right now but I'm not going to switch because it appears that D* will be better in the long run. I don't want to be one of those people that are always jumping back an forth. That seems expensive from a hardware and contractual stand point. However, if we get to the end of next year and D* has their new sats in the sky but they still are trailing E* then I would consider switching. My local cable company isn't any better than D* is right now (in some ways they are worse) so they aren't a real possibility.

I agree. I think 2007 will be a good year for folks that subscribe to D*. I am really hoping they deliver as I have always like being a customer (since 1998). I think its just hard for folks and why you see some frustrated posts is that we are watching D* move at their pace and watching Dish releasing tons of HD channels (yes counting the Voom stuff) and new hardware. It would have been nice if D* released an MPEG4 HD DVR at the same time they started rolling out HD LIL using MPEG4. I think Dish did it right with the movement of channels on their sats, MPEG4 new channels, HD LILs, and the new hardware. They currently have the HD upper hand. I really hope D* trivializes it next year.

I, for one, am a bit glad they are taking their sweet time with adding more HD and the transition into MPEG4.

With all the pixelization and audio sync issues nationwide with the Big 4 (Fox/CBS/NBC/ABC) via MPEG4, its quite obvious D* needs to work out the bugs before they deliver a bunch of new HD content via MPEG4.

Can you imagine the complaining if they added a bunch of national, MPEG4 channels only to have all of them have the pixelization/audio sync issues?

uncrules said:

===========================================================

uncrules,

I am curious,
What HD channels does DISH have that D* doesn't that are so GREAT that the other should have had up by now, They have a few coming out that D* doesn't have... Does that mean DISH's lineup is far supurior.

Jimbo

charper1 said:

charper,

I agree with you,
I have been trying to get people to understand that D* is just getting started and when everything is up and running, I think it will be far better than what is available else where.

Someone earlier mentioned about D* moving programming around to different sats... 99% of D* subs know anything about how many sats are up there of care as long as they get thier picture on thier TV.
All this info that people are talking about when will this be out, when will we have more channels ect also is info 99% don't have any idea about .

As chaper mentioned, if they want to do something to really help, get the bandwidth needed to clear up the picture, I personally think that when all is said and done, D* will have enough bandwidth to also improve the SD signal.

However, no one is listening :mad:
Patience is a vurtue.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
===========================================================

uncrules,

I am curious,
What HD channels does DISH have that D* doesn't that are so GREAT that the other should have had up by now, They have a few coming out that D* doesn't have... Does that mean DISH's lineup is far supurior.

Jimbo
NGC-HD
STARZ-HD
HGTV-HD
Plus some of the Voom channels are supposed to be pretty good. All total E* has 25 hd channels.
Also they actually have a MPEG-4 HD-DVR

Last edited:
uncrules said:
NGC-HD
STARZ-HD
HGTV-HD
Plus some of the Voom channels are supposed to be pretty good. All total E* has 25 hd channels.
Also they actually have a MPEG-4 HD-DVR

JMO, but:

Starz will only be available IF you Sub to Starz, so it is of no use to the majority
NGC does sound like it might be cool, however IF it is a carbon copy of Discovery HD, I really don't need it either.

HGTV would be cool, but is only watched by that perticular type of person, not for everyone, (I do watch it occasionally)

I think D* will have them when everything is squared away.

Voom is loved by everyone, but most did not like it when they had it, too many repeats was the major complaint.

If they want to do HD for channels that are watched occasionally, lets go with the RSN's ......
D* always touts being the HD leader (which thay are not at the moment)
They should be touting themselves as the SPORTS Leader, tthat would be closer to the facts (provided you can afford to pay for all of it) at least it's available.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts