What Happened to the Sling Extrender/Sling Reciever 300?

hemway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Arizona
What happened to the Sling Extender/Sling Receiver 300? It's been talked about for almost two years and according to Google searches, received FCC approval back in January. 

Isn't this the unit that allowed 922 users to view HD video via TV2 on the 922 on a HDTV connected to the Sling Extender/Sling Receiver 300 or TV2 from a 722 that has a Sling Adapter connected to it. 

Is this another one of Dishes follies? What's up with it?

Its in final beta testing now...

Origionally it was going to be just for the 922... now TV2 on the 922 does not do overlay graphics (menus, info bar, etc.) in HD mode. So they had to recreate the menu structure so that on TV2 the menus lookk just like your watching on a 922.

Then the Sling adapter for the 722 came out and they decided to hold off on the Sling Extender but like the 922 the 722 TV2 output in HD has no on screen graphics. THey couldn't use the 922 graphics since it was a 722... so they had to make it display menus looking like a 722... and this is what delayed the extender.

I know a few people who have one and they say it works great. Hopefully we will see them released "soon."

what would you rather have?

An HD veiwing experience on a second HDTV or a Duplicate of your TV1 (primary) experience?

I think he was saying he wouldn't mind if his 722 TV2 looked like a 922 TV2. I get where he's coming from, why delay the extender to make it look like the old crusty 722.

Why not release the 922 version now to see if there is anything wrong with the platform? Then follow up with the 722 version when its ready.

I have to wonder if there are enough 922s out there to make it worthwhile for them.

Does anyone know how many 922s vs 722(k)s are in the field?

To give you an idea how many more 722's there are then 922's.. There is only 4 techs at our office that are qualified to install 922's.. I am one of them.. I have installed 6 922's in the last year. I probably do 4 or 5 722's a week..

Last edited:
for money reasons...why not only make it 922 compatible...hello, maybe they would sell more? Nothing they do makes sense to anyone! Gezzzz!

To give you an idea how many more 722's there are then 922's.. There is only 4 techs at our office that are qualified to install 922's.. I am one of them.. I have installed 6 922's in the last year. I probably do 4 or 5 722's a week..

How bad of an installer do you have to be not to be able to install a 922?

what would you rather have?

An HD veiwing experience on a second HDTV or a Duplicate of your TV1 (primary) experience?

I would like HD TV 2 output. That's the point of the Sling Extender. I already have a duplicate of my TV 1 output via an HDMI splitter.

The point of my original post is that I don't care if they put 722 graphics on the Sling Extender to make it look like a 722 menu on TV 2. I would have been perfectly fine (and actually might have preferred it) if TV 2 had 922-style graphics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)