What happened to the thread by the VOOM CSR?

jnardone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Hi:
There was a thread here this morning by someone who is a VOOM CSR that talked about which channels were coming this month and when the DVR was going to be released. I think it started around 6AM and I posted to it around 8:30 AM. I can't find it now and if I look at a list of all my recent posts there is not one from this morning. What happened?

Sean Mota said:
For his own security he requested it to be deleted.

Probably wise, since Dragonlady and Lincolncorn kid disappeared without explanation. Could they be among the bashers??? who knows....

He was getting bashed for no reason but a few who are impatient.

vurbano said:
well it is March and there are no new channels as promised. And no DVR. Thats reason enough.

They didn't say March 1st-plus they have a few other distractions right now.

The important thing is that they are still moving forward.

I was on the phone with tech support this morning and the tech guy said the phone rang off the hook yesterday concerning the website message. He also added all the calls were from SatGuy members! Anyway, concerning the new channels he said it will be the last part of March and I do mean the last of March. No DVR until late summer.

DVR isn't even in beta yet according to Wilt. As Dennis noted, summer is probably a best guess at this point.

Indy said:
I was on the phone with tech support this morning and the tech guy said the phone rang off the hook yesterday concerning the website message. He also added all the calls were from SatGuy members! Anyway, concerning the new channels he said it will be the last part of March and I do mean the last of March. No DVR until late summer.

I don't understand why so many people here felt the urge to call CSR's and ask them, in effect, if they knew their jobs were going away. All it did was add to the panic that must have been taking place...and as I asked in other posts, to what end? So that people could jump back here and post "I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE AND......"

I called, but it was to upgrade my service :) And the subject of the website msgs never came up.

Lob

jnardone said:
Hi:
There was a thread here this morning by someone who is a VOOM CSR that talked about which channels were coming this month and when the DVR was going to be released. I think it started around 6AM and I posted to it around 8:30 AM. I can't find it now and if I look at a list of all my recent posts there is not one from this morning. What happened?
Anyone remember anything of what was posted in the deleted thread? Any HD channels? DVR date?

Walter L. said:
Anyone remember anything of what was posted in the deleted thread? Any HD channels? DVR date?
No HD channel info. Actually some of the "bashing" was because he couldn't name any HD channels. Don't think he said anything about the DVR either, but I could be wrong

TheTimm said:
No HD channel info. Actually some of the "bashing" was because he couldn't name any HD channels. Don't think he said anything about the DVR either, but I could be wrong

He did name 3 channels but I don't think they were HD. National Geo channel was one. Don't remember the other two. Also he said the DVR was probably not until Summer. It figures.

So that VOOM guy at 2005 CES was so clueless that he was off by over 100% with the amount of time it was going to take to get the DVR out. He said 3 months (March) definitively. Now it looks like it 7-9 months. He was either a liar or he is stupid. Take your pick. That was also the same guy in the 2004 CES video that said the DVR would be in the Summer of 2004.

Like Scott said in post # 6. Let 'em tweek the system first and see what comes out by the end of march.
Knock the bit@#'n off about the new channels and the DVR.
Once the DVR is released, all will whine about how it costs too much, it's too buggy, yadda, yadda, yadda.

jnardone said:
So that VOOM guy at 2005 CES was so clueless that he was off by over 100% with the amount of time it was going to take to get the DVR out. He said 3 months (March) definitively. Now it looks like it 7-9 months.uy in the 2004 He was either a liar or he is stupid. .

Both probably since he is in SALES.

jnardone said:
So that VOOM guy at 2005 CES was so clueless that he was off by over 100% with the amount of time it was going to take to get the DVR out. He said 3 months (March) definitively. Now it looks like it 7-9 months. He was either a liar or he is stupid. Take your pick. That was also the same guy in the 2004 CES video that said the DVR would be in the Summer of 2004.

I don't think at the time of the CES, he had advance knowledge of the family Dolan Feud and that does make a difference. Try doing home improvements when you wife throws your clothes out on the front lawn, says she is divorcing you and tells all the neighbors to ignore you. How you going to get anything done?

gutter said:
He did name 3 channels but I don't think they were HD. National Geo channel was one. Don't remember the other two. Also he said the DVR was probably not until Summer. It figures.

He also said Fox Movie Channel in HD, and there was a thread on that channel at AVS just a month ago-basic answer in that thread-no plans at this time in HD, anyways, FX ( and maybe Fox News) would go HD before Fox Movies.

gutter said:
I don't think at the time of the CES, he had advance knowledge of the family Dolan Feud and that does make a difference. Try doing home improvements when you wife throws your clothes out on the front lawn, says she is divorcing you and tells all the neighbors to ignore you. How you going to get anything done?

I am glad after 18 years (as of 3-26) of married life that has never happened to me, sounds scary.

jnardone said:

Shows like CES are typically manned by marketing geeks, not the development guys on the front line who have to actually make the hardware work. It's easy to make promises from his perspective.

Further complicating this is the fact that the development is outsourced. Probably to Motorola. IME, that group doesn't move very fast and it's a mystery to me just how well CVC has their finger on the pulse. There could be a host of other issues going on behind the scenese that we don't see that are responsible for the delay. We can only guess.

Remember, no one has yet put a networked DVR on the market. This is uncharted territory and will certainly be buggy to one degree or another. The people yelling loudest that they want it now will probably be the same people yelling loudest when it doesn't work right because it was rushed. You can't win with some.

voomster2 said:
Both probably since he is in SALES.

He's not in "Sales" (Nothing to sell), He's in "MARKETING".

Sales is: Determining a need and finding an appropriate solution.

The need exists, when the solution is available . . .THEN there will be sales people. And the smartest of us will honor the "SALESMAN" for what he brings.

The ignorant will complain that it's not enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts