What happens if you want 121 and 105?

Gawd. At the moment, ALL D* and E* is on the Ku-band.

There are two variations of Ku that use slightly different parts of the band. FSS (old-style linear (V/H) polarization) and BSS (new-style circular (L/R) polarization).

Different things are used - sometimes at the same orbital slots.

In the case of E*, they use BSS (circular) everywhere except 105 & 121.

Webbydude was exactly right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they say that I need 2 Superdishes and I can do the promotion on one. Meaning........ I pay $200.
As expensive as the DPP44 switches are and the price of the dish, that is really not a bad deal.

I originally heard, from an E* person, that 121 and 105 were going to carry different locals, but the same int. and HD programming; like 61.5 and 148, at the time.

Then, I hear that they decided against that because 105 was having trouble in the panhandle of Florida.

With the new sat would they still have trouble in FL?

Is any of this info incorrect?

SimpleSimon said:
Gawd. At the moment, ALL D* and E* is on the Ku-band.

There are two variations of Ku that use slightly different parts of the band. FSS (old-style linear (V/H) polarization) and BSS (new-style circular (L/R) polarization).

Different things are used - sometimes at the same orbital slots.

In the case of E*, they use BSS (circular) everywhere except 105 & 121.
Thanks. I never knew that. I always called the FSS, or linear, KU and the BSS, DBS or circular. Now I know what it's really called.

Or at least what Simon calls it ... :)

The important thing is to know what you are talking about when you go out to buy something for your system. Ku generally means the older FSS (fixed satellite service) band with vertical and horizontal polarity. Go buy a "Ku" labeled system and you won't be seeing any BSS/DBS signals.

Simon's post leans too heavily on the polarities as well ... it isn't H/V vs R/L that make the difference between FSS and BSS - it's the placement within the Ku band, the power levels allowed by international agreements, the intent of service allowed by international agreements, as well as the orbital spacing of services as allowed by international agreements.

It is a bigger puzzle than one simple post.

JL

What'd happen if someone wants HD LIL on the 129 AND want internationals on the 121? That'd also be a problem as you'll need a DPP44 switch there as well.

The majority reason the cost to add a 2nd SuperDISH to a setup is $199 is because the DPP44 switch is very expensive at $159 for new customers. The cost to have 2 SuperDISH'es are ($150 for the extra SuperDISH) + 1 DPP44 switch ($159 each) - credit for 2 DP34 switches not used bc of DPP44 switch being used ($98) = $211. They rounded that $211 figure down to $199 for the customer. So if a retailer does the install on a Retailer Referral program, you're losing $12 whenever a customer asks for 2 SuperDISH'es.

justalurker said:
Or at least what Simon calls it ... :)

The important thing is to know what you are talking about when you go out to buy something for your system. Ku generally means the older FSS (fixed satellite service) band with vertical and horizontal polarity. Go buy a "Ku" labeled system and you won't be seeing any BSS/DBS signals.

Simon's post leans too heavily on the polarities as well ... it isn't H/V vs R/L that make the difference between FSS and BSS - it's the placement within the Ku band, the power levels allowed by international agreements, the intent of service allowed by international agreements, as well as the orbital spacing of services as allowed by international agreements.

It is a bigger puzzle than one simple post.

JL
Correct - I left out some parts - but the only one relevant to LNBs is the use of a different part of the Ku band. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts