What happens if...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

msnyder

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
I can't get OTA to work; no matter what I try. Here's a question, what if I get basic cable and plug it into the OTA Module on my Voom STB? My work is going to put in a cable modem and pay for it. Cable modem requires basic cable, which is pretty much local channels. If I plug the cable into where my OTA is plugged in now, will the locals map into the PG? Please say yes, otherwise I think I might have to scap Voom. The wife hates missing the local news and popular shows on the broadcast networks now.

Sorry but your cable will not work with OTA on Voom. You must you an over the air antenna with the Voom receiver. The cable companies locals are brought to your cable box and decyphered differently and at different frequencies.

Voom provided me with a great Wingard 7084 HD antenna and I live over 40 miles from the stations and get all my locals!!

Bill

Are the channels you want at least mapped in the guide? Were talking a reception issue right?

i don't think so because the channels are mapped by Voom's service. Maybe if the box MANUALLY SCANNED* for channels this would work.

Does your box show channels like 0-4, 0-8, etc. or does Voom just not cover your area? If you have incorrect mapping you can try a factory reset.

* - This would be awesome, because I'm missing channels that I could normally get with another tuner.

My cable company does not require basic cable to have cable internet. They just charge you 10 dollars extra.

There is no STB for the basic cable...as long as they come in as the same channel numbers as they would with OTA it should work right?

If your OTA channels are mapped in the PG then it's an antenna issue.

How far are you from your transmitting towers?

Mr. Biggles said:
If your OTA channels are mapped in the PG then it's an antenna issue.

How far are you from your transmitting towers?

less than 30 miles, the problem is they are all in different directions... know of an omni that has a radius of 30 miles?

The way I have it setup now, I can get most of the locals, but only one comes in good. This is with my antenna plugged into my TV Tuner. The Voom STB cannot pick up any of them, only 2 are mapped right now, one happens to be the channel I pick up very well...but Voom gives me a message that is can't display it. I'm beginning to hate Voom, it's almost too much trouble. Locals don't work, loose everything when it rains... I'm really wishing I still had DishNetwork, I really miss my PVR...

Maybe you should try a directional antenna with a rotor? That way when you change channels the antenna points to the right tower.

Also, and forgive me for asking, but you do have a UHF antenna right? If you have the stealth, call Voom and ask for an upgrade.

msnyder said:
less than 30 miles, the problem is they are all in different directions... know of an omni that has a radius of 30 miles?

This sounds like my location. Towers 180 degrees from each other. I ended up successfully using a Square Shooter antenna (live in an Urban area) and pick them up using their reflected signals. My PBS is low power so can be finicky at times...the others come in perfect.

The suggestion of a directional antenna coupled with a rotor is the best sure fire way to get it done right the first time.

Well they were suppose to send me a rotor when they came out and replaced my stealth with the big ass antenna I have now, but even if they would have sent it (Never got it) it wouldn't do any good, because the new antenna is so big my chimney keeps it from rotating. Let me ask you this... does the rotor atomatically turn when I tune to a certain channel or do I manually have to rotate with some sort of dial?