What happens to DishHD Absolute after Feburuary 1st?

sweet... I can continue to enjoy a price i'm happy with and a package I'm mostly happy with.
+1

Me too! I made a list of channels that I wanted and this was by far the best price for the most amount of channels I was willing to have/not have.

The addition of the FOX channels sure won't sway me to drop HD Absolute... In fact, I don't know what channels it will take to get me to switch.

hey i'm an absolut hd subscriber and just got off the phone with dish because i thought we would receive ne hd channels not true after feb 1st we will no longer receive any new hd channels unless we change programming package but be warned that if you decide to change your package once you do you can not and will not be allowed to go back to the absolute package as it no longer exist. hope this helps people out.
Paul
Whatever you do, don't change it right now to a Turbo package. You will be paying more, but will not have any new hd; not even the new Fox News/Business channels. Just wait until something is added that you actually want and feel is worth a substantial rectal exam... I mean, price increase...

I'm absolute, you aren't?

Um, I think 74 ish. I have AT200, what was once called Absolute HD or HD absolute, locals cinemax for a penny... and some other stuff. I think I have been with them about a year or so. I really dont remember.
Here is what my account list.
Current Programming: dishHD Absolute
Local Channels: Chicago, IL DMA Package
Premium Channels: 1 Yr Cinemax for a Penny with Autopay Participation, HBO, Showtime Unlimited, Starz!, Playboy TV
So i tend to think the you aren't really an absolute customer. The other possiblity is that your group of packages combine to be the same as the Old AT 200. Could you have been AT200 before? BTW I'm sticking pat until they kick in a bunch more HD.

I'm seeing Fox News standard-def (no HD, and no Fox Business) now. I have HD Absolute, so it strikes me funny that I suddenly have a new standard def channel that I never had before on what was the original "HD Only" package (before the precious metals).

Is this a result of the Fox/Dish resolution where everyone gets SD Fox news no matter what?

TimR><>

I'm seeing Fox News standard-def (no HD, and no Fox Business) now. I have HD Absolute, so it strikes me funny that I suddenly have a new standard def channel that I never had before on what was the original "HD Only" package (before the precious metals).

Is this a result of the Fox/Dish resolution where everyone gets SD Fox news no matter what?

TimR><>

Check channel 102. It's a free preview for a month:D

If I gave up Absolute HD and switched to Turbo my bill would increase from around $40 per month to approx $70 per month for pretty much the same programming....... I will wait for a bunch more HD before I make the switch. :)

If I gave up Absolute HD and switched to Turbo my bill would increase from around $40 per month to approx $70 per month for pretty much the same programming....... I will wait for a bunch more HD before I make the switch. :)

I'm in the same situation. If I give up the Absolute package, I may as well go to DirecTV.

Yep. The only channel I see wanting is Comedy Channel.. and I can watch those shows over the web. I'll take the $30/mo savings for that mild inconvenience.

Yes, definitely hold on to your accounts. You would have to switch to Turbo Gold then add on Platinum just to maintain your current channels. Definitely not worth it for some RSNs. It may never be worth it, in fact...

Unless something significant happens, I can easily drop the Gold and Platinum channels without blinking an eye. However, I will wait for the quantity of channels in the silver pack to get close to the current quantity of Absolute before jumping ship. That is to say, adding about 10-12 silver or bronze channels not in absolute (already roughly 3 I don't get now - my PT RSN, Big Ten, and {eventually} Fox News). It will hit the sweet spot after they add the other 2 fox channels, the 7 of the viacom channels (BETJ will most likely be either Gold or Plat), and one or two other channels (like e! and g4). It'll be a 9 dollar price increase if I go DDA (since I already have Locals and the DVR). If I drop starz after that, my bill will go down a few bucks a month!

Too funny!

Absolute customers have been told they would not get any new HD channels.
What nobody knew is that the TurboHD customers wouldn't either!

I'm staying with Absolute until they finally figure out they are still providing it long after it was forgotten. :D

I, too, am sticking with DishHD Absolute for as long as I can. The addition of two HD-quality Fox news channels is not anywhere near enough of a gain to justify the HUGE price increase I would see by changing to a Turbo or Classic+HD plan.

Right now, I pay $57 per month for the following:
DishHD Absolute
HBO (8 channels in HD)
Local Channels
1 ViP722 receiver

To get the same HD channels in a Turbo subscription my bill would go up to at least $81 per month, if not even more.

Perhaps when/if Dish Network has added a lot more HD channels to the Turbo Gold package I might switch to that and then dump the channels carried in Platinum (if they don't add a lot more channels to that line up). I would still be looking at a $10 or more per month price increase if I kept the HBO premiums. If the Turbo Gold package added a lot of the HD channels many of us have been wanting for many months then the modest price increase might be worth it. But only until then. Right now a $20-$25 per month price hike is a RIP-OFF.

I really worry that it won't be too long before DISH just nukes the Absolute package. My bill was $90 a month for as long as I can remember. It's been $46 with tax for the last several months. Absolute customers have gotta be killing DISH's bottom line. There's no way I'd upgrade for a couple Fox HD channels. Way too expensive.

I really worry that it won't be too long before DISH just nukes the Absolute package. My bill was $90 a month for as long as I can remember. It's been $46 with tax for the last several months. Absolute customers have gotta be killing DISH's bottom line. There's no way I'd upgrade for a couple Fox HD channels. Way too expensive.

At that point, local cable, and/or Uverse become viable alternatives for me (and/or possibly cutting the cord completely and watching OTA and web-based). ESPN would be the only major loss. Most else I watch I could find (legally) within 1-2 days of broadcast. And I'd miss the ability to channel surf, altho I have to admit, I find very little to "stop" on when I start the channel wheel spinning.

I assume I am some small profit to Dish at this point (especially with equipment > 2 years old).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts