What Happens When You Cancel Dish?

Oldmuttonhead

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2018
Pendleton, IN
It looks like my options for upgrading to an H3 aren't very good for my budget so we've decided to cancel and try out the streaming services and/or may get a cheap Comcast package so we get the locals (OTA here isn't very good.. We are right on the edge of a decent signal for most and a couple are not good at all).

So, now I have a few questions about what happens when I cancel.

First, if I call and cancel today, will the service continue until the end of this billing cycle, or do they prorate the last month?

Is there a way I can hold on to and still watch any DVR recordings or do we need to do a massive marathon viewing session? lol

Do they provide me a way to return equipment, or how does that work? Do they remove the satellite, or is that on me?

Thanks, everyone! You all have been VERY helpful as I go through this process!

It looks like my options for upgrading to an H3 aren't very good for my budget so we've decided to cancel and try out the streaming services and/or may get a cheap Comcast package so we get the locals (OTA here isn't very good.. We are right on the edge of a decent signal for most and a couple are not good at all).

So, now I have a few questions about what happens when I cancel.

First, if I call and cancel today, will the service continue until the end of this billing cycle, or do they prorate the last month?

Is there a way I can hold on to and still watch any DVR recordings or do we need to do a massive marathon viewing session? lol

Do they provide me a way to return equipment, or how does that work? Do they remove the satellite, or is that on me?

Thanks, everyone! You all have been VERY helpful as I go through this process!

I believe you have the option of cancelling immediately or some time in the future.

You need to watch everything on your DVR prior to sending your equipment back.

Dish will send you bo:mad:es) with prepaid shipping. If the LNB is within reach, they may ask for it back as well. They will not remove the rest of the dish from your property AFAIK.

Reactions: pattykay
If they do ask for the LNB, tell them it isn't safe for you to remove it, and they most likely will remove that requirement.

Reactions: pattykay
So they are not charging you anymore to ship the receivers back?

If they charge me to ship the receivers back, I will be so ticked. They will have a fight on their hands!! The whole reason for me dropping them is because my service is barely usable now with the UI upgrade and they want me to pay to get new hardware. Give me my old software back or upgrade me to an H3 and I'm a happy camper.

I believe you have the option of cancelling immediately or some time in the future.

Dish will send you bo:mad:es) with prepaid shipping. If the LNB is within reach, they may ask for it back as well. They will not remove the rest of the dish from your property AFAIK.

Thanks for the info. I know you can export the recordings to an external drive, but I was pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to watch them without the Dish equipment. I was hoping I was wrong.

The other thing to be prepared for is the retention department to try and keep you. They may actually throw a deal at you that may change you mind.

If they do, I'll listen. I really don't want to leave them, but I need a service that works and I can't shell out the money for new equipment. And I certainly don't want to jack up my bill $12.99 a month to get a $95 fee waived! That's nuts!

Reactions: Tampa8
I've never had to pay with Dish. I have had to pay with DirecTV though.
The word "on the street" and by personal experience by people who posted here what happened when they canceled Dish is that Dish charges shipping when you LEAVE/Cancel Dish. Charlie seems determined for the door to hit ya on the way out, as usual. Of course, if a customer is RMA a box, etc., then Dish pays the shipping if one has the Protection Plan, and if you don't have Protection Plan, you're expected to pay for shipping, but they may wave the shipping charge, but only after raising some hell about.

Unless they changed it, Dish does indeed charge you for the shipping to return the boxes, although as with anything, you may be able to get them to waive the charge.

The word "on the street" and by personal experience by people who posted here what happened when they canceled Dish is that Dish charges shipping when you LEAVE/Cancel Dish. Charlie seems determined for the door to hit ya on the way out, as usual. Of course, if a customer is RMA a box, etc., then Dish pays the shipping if one has the Protection Plan, and if you don't have Protection Plan, you're expected to pay for shipping, but they may wave the shipping charge, but only after raising some hell about.

Sums it up correctly.

No..they charge for shipping

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)