What hardware should I buy? gameplan?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BH2K

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
GA
Ive been doing some research for awhile about satellite TV and that brings me here. Im kind of confused between 4DTV and FTA. I dont have a dish yet, but im wanting to get into the Big dish world just for experimentation purposes. (im a ham radio operator). My main goals for this project are to spend as little as possible and must recieve HD signals to a LCD TV via the big dish. I dont want to subscribe if I can help it, since i dont watch TV. Id like to pull in discoveryHD but its not a "must see". Now, Im doing my site survey. I have a picture of "south" from my back yard but illl post it tonight so you can see if its doable. So far I bought a Digicipher II analog reciever, and (2) GI4200 commercial boxes for $10. My next door neighbor has a big mesh dish in his yard thats always pointing west, i dont think hes using it. and im thinking about asking for it, but I feel kind of weird asking for it. Ive also been offered in a package deal a GI 920 or 922 (they dont know) receiver, 2 remotes, manual, signal meter, 2 LNB's, a defective HD200 box, aiming tool and new actuator motor/arm for $100 but I told the seller i want to get a dish first and do more research. Is this a good price? Then I just found out about the PANSAT 9200HD, TRAXIS DBS-3500. are these good? now im not sure what to do.

Get the big dish if its avail, or look around for another one, there's still a lot of them to be given away, owners no longer use, home sold to new owners, etc. Some just want them out of the yard.
You can find an older analog rec to move the dish (hope its got a working motor), or you can buy a newer box to move the dish called V-box or Gbox, which will move your dish when connected to a free to air receiver. Not much on the digital side thats 24hrs on HD, PBS I think, but lots of news/sports feeds if you look around the sats.
Far as subscription tv with the 4DTV and your big dish, look at NPS - Your One Call Solution - CBAND Satellite Programming C-band and check their channel package listings to see if there's anything available that you'd like to watch--don't have one myself so I can't tell you how much would be HD via subscription. You'll need a working HDD200 high-def decoder to go with your 4DTV for that though. And if you have a choice, get the 922, it will get a few more channels (subscription) than the 920.
Traxis 3500 is a popular free to air receiver, standard def, will rec both c and ku band digital feeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)