What hardware should I expect?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brisimon

Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
Houston, TX
I have an install scheduled for next week and wasn't sure what hardware I should expect to receive. I have 2 HD DVR's and 1 HD reciever coming. My house is pre-wired with 1 drop per room so I am hoping for a SWM system. (I will cancel the isntall if they refuse and want to try to install multiple drops) I requested this when ordering, but from what I am reading that doesn't mean I will get it. I am just wondering what I should get hardware wise and if you guys think I can push for SWM with the 3 receivers that I have? Thanks guys.

Unfortunately no matter what the CSR promises on the phone you'll get what the installer has on the truck at the time. I'm sure you'll still get 2 HD DVRs and 1 HD receiver, but they'll probably be refurb units and you can't know for sure what exact model number units you'll get.

It's tough to say whether you'll get SWM. I heard it was standard install equipment now, but I also heard the installers won't be using SWM for all installs until they run out of their inventory of non SWM equipment.

I don't think they'll use refurbs on a new install. As for the SWM, I believe that's become fairly standard.

I seen reports of people getting refurbs, even H20's which should all be put in the dumpster IMHO, on new installs. It all depends on what the warehouse loads on the truck for the day.

23's are the latest HD DVR right? Should I refuse install if I don't get those?

Yes, the HR23 is the latest, cancelling is up to you. The HR23's are basically the same as the HR22's, just don't require BBC's if not a SWM install. The HR21 is basically a HR22 with a 320GB vs 500GB harddrive, but I've seen some folks say that on a refurb HR21 they have the 500GB drive in them.

With the leasing model that DirecTV uses they want to be able to send out old/refurb hardware to keep their costs down. The only way you cam make sure of getting a specific model is to go to a local retailer/installer that can say what he has and would install, other then that it's pot luck on what's on the truck.

I don't think they'll use refurbs on a new install. As for the SWM, I believe that's become fairly standard.

On forums like this one I know I've read about a lot of new customers getting refurbs even when the CSR promised them they'd get new boxes. When the person called DIRECTV to complain the standard reply is - The CSR was mistaken. All the DIRECTV boxes for customers for years now have been leased boxes, DIRECTV owns them, they don't HAVE to give new customers new boxes.

Just had DTV install my setup yesterday. Got a new HR22NC-100. I guess I got lucky... or it just looks new.

All the HR-22's I've been getting from the warehouse (Raleigh DMA) have been new - the refurb's are normally 20's or 21's.

SWM installation is the current norm - heck, I had a 1 HDDVR install today in a trailer - and it was a SWM install. Like da boss sez, I'm not there to think - just do what's on the workorder.

There's nothing wrong with getting a refurbished receiver. You are only leasing, not purchasing. As long as it isn't a HR20, or the HR21 with 320GB drive, any of the other options are fine.

Sometimes getting a refurb is better than getting a new unit. Some refurbs were barely used, and then more rigorously tested before being shipped out. Odds of getting a malfunctioning unit is lower with a refurb than a sealed-in-the-box new unit. That is, unless you get a refurb that was beat to pieces, which is rare.

As Yorktown writes above, your contract does not specify or guarantee a new receiver.

Thanks for the replies guys, I have no problems with a refurb, just wanted to make sure I knew what was the latest hardware. So it sounds like I want an HR22 or 23 with a 500GB drive, and a SWM setup to avoid adding more drops for the DVR locations. Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)