What HD DVR will I get?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RGJ4vols

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
What HD DVR will I get if I just ordered DirecTV? Also, does it have an RF remote?

Assuming you're a new customer, in all likelihood you'd get an HR21. Depending what you installer had in stock, there might be a small chance of an HR20.

I believe both come with an RF remote (although I've never used the RF functionality myself).

Assuming you're a new customer, in all likelihood you'd get an HR21. Depending what you installer had in stock, there might be a small chance of an HR20.

I believe both come with an RF remote (although I've never used the RF functionality myself).

Then let me refraze that question, when the installer comes what HD DVR should I want????

Then let me refraze that question, when the installer comes what HD DVR should I want????

Ether the HR20 or 21 , it really doesn't matter, they function the same.
The HR21 does NOT have an OTA tuner in it, but has an add on if you need it.

The 20 is silver and the 21 is black.
Hard drives are about the same 300-320 GB

IF you use OTA the HR20 is more convenient, but I doubt that you'll get that one.

Jimbo

It all depends on what is currently available to that tech from D* it could be a HR20 or a HR21 it could also be a New Box or Refurbished Box. We have zero choice in what gets loaded on our trucks as far as receivers go.

As far as the Remote it really is a crap shoot if you will get a RF remote or an IR only remote. It will probably be a R64 which is a IR. D* and many sites do sell RF remotes for $20-$45.

It all depends on what is currently available to that tech from D* it could be a HR20 or a HR21 it could also be a New Box or Refurbished Box. We have zero choice in what gets loaded on our trucks as far as receivers go.

As far as the Remote it really is a crap shoot if you will get a RF remote or an IR only remote. It will probably be a R64 which is a IR. D* and many sites do sell RF remotes for $20-$45.

Just to add, all of the units have RF but some have received a non RF remote. I have 5 and they are all RF remotes.

It doesn't matter what you want. You get what they give you. It might be new or it might be refurbished. It will probably be an HR21, but it might be a refurbished HR20.

If you were promised a particular receiver by DIRECTV, there's no telling what you'll get because they have absolutely no control over what you get.

If the installation contractor tells you what you're going to get, there is a chance you'll get it, but no assurances.

It doesn't matter what you want. You get what they give you. It might be new or it might be refurbished. It will probably be an HR21, but it might be a refurbished HR20.

I doubt that you get a refurbished one. Especially if you paid $99.
I signed up two months ago and got two brand new (sealed box) shinning black HR21. I am very happy since I also added a 1Tb external HD to each one. I only wish that they had dual layer buffer like my old Tivo.

It doesn't matter what you signed up for (Free to $199) you get what ever the install company has on the truck, atm I have 3 HR20 Refurbs and 1 HR21 Refurb on my Van and they will go in on a new install, upgrade or a service call. I have gone 3-4 weeks where all D* sent us was refurb IRD's

If you want a guarantee as to which IRD you get you will have to acquire it on your own from the many online retailers that sell contract lease receivers. And have the Tech do a Work order change from NEW to Customer Owned (its still leased though)

If you want a guarantee as to which IRD you get you will have to acquire it on your own from the many online retailers that sell contract lease receivers. And have the Tech do a Work order change from NEW to Customer Owned (its still leased though)

Or Best Buy/ C City/ Costco

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)