What height to mount TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Both my TV's are on stands and we are thinking about wall mounting them.

What's the best height? I have a 42" and a 65" which I think will just have to fit where it fits. Both are 3D Tv's.

Want to put the 42" in the corner of a room, so I guess we'll need a full motion mount. Are these tough to install, would you recommend an installer?

Thanks!

I prefer a set that is 2/3 above eye level (when seated). I do not like looking down at a screen. Also a higher up screen is much better when walking around a room.

If they are passive 3D you must mount them so your eye level is same as the center of the screen. If your tv is active shutter glasses that won't matter except if the height requires you to look up for long movies, plan to suffer headaches and neck strain. Not due to 3D but simply looking up for long periods puts stress on your vertebra and neck muscles. Looking down is equally painful for long periods. One way around the vertical clearance for passive 3D is to mount the TV so that it angles down and the line from your eyes to the center of the screen is as close to 90 degrees as possible. If not, the 3D won't converge and aside from getting neck pain, you will suffer eye pain as well.

If you must mount your tv high up on the wall, then sit far away as a small compromise. I have a friend who mounted his set above the fireplace because he liked the idea of a tv over the fireplace. The idea he could have a fire burning away while watching a football game. it's not 3D. So a year later I asked him how that worked out. He said you were right, we took it down and moved it to the den at eye level. The neck pain was awful.

If they are passive 3D you must mount them so your eye level is same as the center of the screen. If your tv is active shutter glasses that won't matter except if the height requires you to look up for long movies, plan to suffer headaches and neck strain. Not due to 3D but simply looking up for long periods puts stress on your vertebra and neck muscles. Looking down is equally painful for long periods. One way around the vertical clearance for passive 3D is to mount the TV so that it angles down and the line from your eyes to the center of the screen is as close to 90 degrees as possible. If not, the 3D won't converge and aside from getting neck pain, you will suffer eye pain as well.

If you must mount your tv high up on the wall, then sit far away as a small compromise. I have a friend who mounted his set above the fireplace because he liked the idea of a tv over the fireplace. The idea he could have a fire burning away while watching a football game. it's not 3D. So a year later I asked him how that worked out. He said you were right, we took it down and moved it to the den at eye level. The neck pain was awful.

I agree with Don. I do have one tv mounted above a fireplace at my lake house. But it is in a room that is the kitchen and dinning room (open floor plan). It is really only for background noise and keeping up with games while cooking and eating. Not really for watching. I would never mount over eye level for extended viewing.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)