What I learned today about HD and Flex

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rufwork

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Southeast US
I posted a while back about getting most inexpensive way to get RedZone during the NFL season, heard it might be Flex, and finally got things set up today. I'm going to post a sum of what I've learned on that thread once I watch tomorrow, but wanted to post a few things here in general about "free" HD.

I initially was going to go the cheapest route possible, with a 500 dish and an SD receiver. I only ordered SD, and didn't sign up for locals. I added the Sports Package to get RedZone.

(Question: Is ordering locals still an option, or are they given to everyone? I didn't see it as an option in my account under programming.)

I had to get a 211k for a new Flex account, apparently, and decided to go with a 1000.2 as well, just in case I wanted HD later.

Note: I still didn't sign up for HD. Here's what I get in HD anyhow:

1.) All my locals (though no multicast channels)
2.) The freebee previews for this month.
3.) The Showtime and HBO channels (3 months free)
4.) The sports channels from the sports package

Honestly, I'm surprised (and pleased). I didn't think I'd have locals or any HD. It's a weird system. It looks like ESPN, eg, would default to HD on the same channel (140) that I'm getting it in SD if I'd paid for HD, but these other channels (RedZone, NHL Center Ice, etc) either have dedicated HD channels only or a separate HD channel that I can access.

So my lessons:
* I'm very happy I didn't opt for the 500, which I don't think would've picked up the HD satellites.
* Add-ons are in HD, so I'm going to be a very happy camper on Sunday.

It looks like if you mainly want RedZone (or Showtime, or HBO), don't bother paying $10 a month for HD and get an HD ready dish.

Fwiw, $0.02, etc.

Last edited:
Glad you are all set. Very interesting that you receiver some channels in HD. Good to know.

So you are saying that even though you do not subscribe to HD, you still receive some channels in HD that you subscribe to the SD counterpart?

DN FlexTV Activation

Activated a DN FlexTV account for SD (4:3) today.
Dusted off an old 3900 receiver with a Dish 500 scoop for 110/119.
Went with a month-to-month ($40) America's Top 120 since the Welcome Pack is gone,
.... and yes the local HDs are included if you have updated hardware.
SD runs OK, but the EPG sucks.
FlexTV_Logo_v4.JPG
FlexTV_Box%20Logo_v6.jpg

HD counterparts for locals are included automatically in all packages with local stations. This is independent of HD Free for Life.