what if I move and trees block signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ctoddt

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
I just sold my house and our new place has tall trees around. If I utilize the "movers" deal and I can't get a clear signal, am I just out of luck? I have about another year left on a 2yr commit. Any advice?

I think if we mount the dish near the top of the two story house it might be ok. Just a little worried, though.

-Todd

Those must be some real tall trees and real close to the house roof line. A DBS dish is offset, so the signals do not come in directly in-line with the angle of where the LNB/arm assembly seems to be pointing, like a prime focus dish does.

Do a site survey before you move. Higher up is always better IMHO.

Todd, it might help if you can provide us with a little more information such as where you live, how tall you think these tree's are and how close they are to the house.

The dishes elevation comes in to play as well. In southern California, I was using an elevation of 45 and could clear trees closer to the house just by putting the dish up a couple of feet. However, I now live in Northern Minnesota and my dish elevation is 33 and if I did not have 50 feet between me and the tree's I would have never cleared it

Looks like you should have thought about the trees before you moved if you are that worried about them, or if they are on your land cut they down.

I think what he's asking is would D* let him out of his 2 year contract because he can't get a signal. Also, it takes a lot to find a perfect house--he may not have the option of making his decision based on satellite coverage. (I know I wouldn't base that expensive of a decision on it, at least).

dan8379 said:
I think what he's asking is would D* let him out of his 2 year contract because he can't get a signal. Also, it takes a lot to find a perfect house--he may not have the option of making his decision based on satellite coverage. (I know I wouldn't base that expensive of a decision on it, at least).

This is going to come up again and again with the two year commit. D* is acting like they are a cable or phone company where they are in control of getting service to your house. Having to cut down a tree out of your pocket isn't really option unless you are rich. It costs thousands of dollars at least in my area to cut down trees and you might have a HOA that will not let you do it anyway. After talking to a local installer that I know personally I decided to take the jump with my current setup. He didn't believe I would get treed out for many years and if I did he would move the dish back some which would set me up again for some time. I really don't see why D* doesn't contract with a national company to trim trees. The customer could bear some costs for this service but not 1,000s of dollars to have it done on your own. My wife is a lawyer and she said it is pretty basic. You can commit to two years but if the company can no longer provide you service through no fault of your own then they must either get you that service or disolve the contract. D* wouldn't win a legal battle to hold you to the contract.

The fact is that unless you live in something like the Redwood National Park, a good installer has a real good chance of finding a LoS; and on the very rare chance they can't, you will be able to work out a very acceptable deal to get out of the contract. There is NO CONSPIRACIES.

BUT... I am not sure they will just take your word for no LoS; which shouldn't be of any concern to you, unless your are just lying to them to get out of the contract. You guys are so paranoid.

charper1 said:
The fact is that unless you live in something like the Redwood National Park, a good installer has a real good chance of finding a LoS; and on the very rare chance they can't, you will be able to work out a very acceptable deal to get out of the contract. There is NO CONSPIRACIES.

BUT... I am not sure they will just take your word for no LoS; which shouldn't be of any concern to you, unless your are just lying to them to get out of the contract. You guys are so paranoid.

Paranoia is my middle name! I was really worried and didn't know what to do since the Bruister techs had scared me to death. I called D* CSR several times and got several different answers. In the end I came to the conclusion that they would do almost anything to find you a LoS. If not then they would let you go. Could you imagine the PR if they actually took someone to court to fight them. That would scare off many future customers. In the end they would lose a court battle unless they could get you service and you just didn't want it anymore.

That's just the exact point, if you can get a LoS then there is no need to be worried, UNLESS you just want out of the contract, and if that is the case, don't complain about a LoS, just pay the penalty or send back the gear and you are good to go and save them and you the headaches and time. Right?

And I say this about ANY user for provider; just be honest with yourself and them.

Last edited:
dan8379 said:

I agree, I wouldn't buy a house just because I couldn't get satellite. I don't get sunday ticket so leaving DirecTV is no big issue for me, although I do like them.

I was going with Dish until the installer came out. He got out of his truck (more like a dumpster) and crap feel out all over the place. He looked at the tress and said it wouldn't work. I told him to put it up anyway - he got in his truck and left.

I bought a Dish 500 and CS 4000 Pro put it up and had 98% signal strenght on both 110 and 119.

Dish needs better installers in the Atlanta area.

jrl1948 said:
I was going with Dish until the installer came out. He got out of his truck (more like a dumpster) and crap feel out all over the place. He looked at the tress and said it wouldn't work. I told him to put it up anyway - he got in his truck and left.

I bought a Dish 500 and CS 4000 Pro put it up and had 98% signal strenght on both 110 and 119.

Dish needs better installers in the Atlanta area.

A CSR told me that they get paid a fee for just showing up. So if you get paid a bit for simply showing up and it is going to be tough install and you have several more probably easier jobs why not cruise. I will never waste my time again with an installer.

If he cannot get Directv he will never be able to get Dish. Directv's main satellite is 101 and Dishes is 119 which sits lower in the sky. The differance here 101 is at a 49 elevation and 119 is around a 40 elevation.

thanks for the input (most of it anyway)

I appreciate the replies. No, I'm not just wanting out of the contract and purchasing a house based on satellite LoS would be so irresponsible. The trees are maybe 60 feet tall and are 40-50 feet away from the house. I'll basically try my luck with an installer and the dish up high on the roof peak. It'll probably be OK, but several of you gave me a little hope that if it's treed out I MIGHT get out of the contract. It does make sense that if they can't provide the product they have to let you go.

How tall is your house?

1 story should be around 17' - 19'
2 story should be around 26' - 28'

Plus the DBS dish is offset (comes in higher) that direct LoS; so you should clear 75' trees that are 30' - 40 away from the dish mounted at the roof peak or on the chimney..

Look in your yellow pages and try a local dealer. They are more willing to do thing for you can DNS or DirecTV Home service people.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)