What is a signal combiner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mark22

Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
A signal combiner is the same thing with a splitter or a diplexer? Which one should be used to combine sat signal and ota and which one to split those 2 signals? Thank you

After searching the Forum I found that this topic resembles my situation the best.

I need to combine the dual outputs from my LNB into one coax then split them at my receiver to feed the dual tuners.

More info; I am about to purchase an RV that is pre-wired for satellite connections. The RV, however, only has one satellite connection. Prior to purchase I can insist (at my expense) that they install a second wire for the dual feed LNB, but I would rather not have them tear apart any part of the rig.
I am running a single LNB with dual feed to an Ultimate TV Dual tuner receiver. When the Ultimate TV dies, I will move my DirecTV HD Tivo out and while on the road loose the HD channels unless I want to deal with the triple LNB alignment issues. The single LNB is very simple to setup.

Question: Can I combine the dual feed LNB into a single coax, and then split it back out to feed the dual tuner? Is that what the Diplexer is for?

Thanks for your input/advise.
-Eric

The term "combiner" is loosely used to place two or more incoming signals on one line. The separate signals may or may not be at the same frequency. A splitter place to operate in reverse can be used as a combiner.
A multiswitch can be a combiner, as well as a diplexor.

A multiplexor is a device that places more than one frequency spectrum on one line or one signal.

A triplexor places three frequency spectra on one line or one transmitted signal.

A diplexor is a device that places two frequencies in one line.

The so called "sat c combiner used by DirecTV" is a diplexor. The sat c lnb has a lower frequency than the sat b lnb.

A multiswitch with only a sat b lnb f1xed to the tone input port will see and translate sat b transponders.

A multiswitch with ony a sat c lnb f1xed to the tone input port will see and translate sat c transponders.

With both the sat b and sat c signals sent to the cable with the combiner (which is electronically a diplexor), the 22 Khz port sees both the sat b and sat c transponders.

Another type of diplexor called a combiner is a common TV VHF/UHF combiner allowing the placement of two separate differing frequency spectra on one cable.

The most common diplexor to us are the ones combining analog cable/broadcast bands with lnb signals on one cable.

A signal stacker technically has a built in diplexor as does a destacker. It also includes frequency conversion equipment. DishPro technology uses diplexors and stacker/destackers.

In all cases, none of these combiners or diplexors translate the signal. That is done by the multiswitch or the conversion sections of the ird, stacker/destacker or that section built in to the tv receiver. Early tv's did not have this ability. There were separate input feeds for both VHF and UHF. If the VHF and UHF signals were "combined" or diplexed at the antenna, a second diplexor called a "separator" was needed at the TV set.

Mike, thank you for the information. That was well put together. I have enough electronic knowledge to understand the terminology and how they all work. However, I still do not have a clear answer to my question/issue so let me re-phrase.
What do I need to utilize the single lnb with dual feed to connect to my dual tuner receiver via a single coax? If I understand every thing well enough, Boba's answer of "No" should then be interpreted as "It cant be done". Is this correct?
-Eric

Correct. Satellite signals are either Vertically or Horizontally Polarized. A SINGLE LNB (one output) has to switch between the two. With a DUAL LNB (two outputs), you can watch a feed with a vertical pola. on one receiver and a feed with a horizontal pola. on the other receiver. Thus the two feeds, one for each LNB. They can't be combined into a single feed and work.

sheridan said:
Correct. Satellite signals are either Vertically or Horizontally Polarized.
Actually, only FTA and commercial satellite signals are V/H polarized. DBS signals are circularly polarized, in either a right hand twist or a left hand twist. That's how they can coexist on one LNB.

EricTheRed needs to stack the two polarities, which he can do either with a Sonora Design stacker or a Winegard stacked LNB. At the receiver end, he will need a destacker and a 2x4 multiswitch. It will cost him about $200 to $300,which is why few people do it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.