What is C-Band???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chucksrt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Bensalem, pa
I am new to the satellite thing and I keep hearing terms like C-Band, KU-Band,etc. Someone made a reference that C-Band was the signal before dish gets it and compresses it? How do you get C-Band, what equipment would I need? The whole reason I went to satellite was to get the best pic. I can, But I found that Comcast has A better pic. But if there is a way to get the signal before the companys hack them all up, I'd like to know!
Chuck

someone more technical will be able to give you more detailed info. c-band is the big 8 - 10 foot dishes. the picture is better because it is not compressed. dish and direct get their signals from the sky uncompressed, they send it back up into the sky to their satellites (compressing the signal) then your dish gets it from dish or direct in a compressed form.

I forget where I got this snippet from ... if you are the original author say so and proper credit will be given:

The scientists who developed the first microwave radar systems during World War II assigned a letter designation to each microwave frequency band. For example, the 800 MHz to 2 GHz frequency range was called the L band, 2 to 3 GHz: the S band; 3 to 6 GHz: the C band; 7 to 9 GHz: the X band; 10 to 17 GHz: the Ku band; and 18 to 22 GHz: the Ka band. At the dawn of the Satellite Age during the mid-1960s, microwave engineers decided to carry forward the existing radar terminology and apply it to the communications satellite bands as well.

So as you can see, the band descriptor refers to the frequency at which the signal is carried. The DBS frequency (i.e. E*, D* & V*) is slotted within the Ku band (11.x to 12.x ... I forget the exact numbers) listed above. In the case of DBS the LNBf then down coverts from those frequencies to the L band range to be carried across RG6 to the IRD.

C-Band is a " Big Ugly Dish" or Bud for short. With the newest digital receiver you can get both analog and digital reception. The initial cost of the Bud system is around $1000 to $1500 depending on options etc. While this may seem high, in a couple of years you will save enough on programming cost to equal out what you would spend on one of the pizza dish systems. Another advantage of the Bud system is the ability to order programming ala-carte. For instance if you only want to order just HBO or something, you are not forced to take anything else. Basically you are free to order just what you want to watch and not have to pay for a lot of things you never watch. There are also many "freebies" called wildfeeds that are available. I have had Dish and Direct at my weekend place at the lake, but neither have the flexibility in usage or pricing of programming available on C-band. I have 2 C-band systems, One for most programming and a second just for sports. Yearly subscriptions on the first ( with HBO/Max about 25 channels +/-) and most of the standards TBS,WGN,TNT,USA etc. runs about $400.00 a year. The second with only sports runs about $50.00 per year.

You asked about the retransmission of signals and I can only say that for the most part the signals that the other services use are retransmissions of C-band that they use after receiving them on their Big dish.

Hope that answers your questions. Feel free to post a reply if you have others.

CablerMN said:
The scientists who developed the first microwave radar systems during World War II assigned a letter designation to each microwave frequency band. For example, the 800 MHz to 2 GHz frequency range was called the L band, 2 to 3 GHz: the S band; 3 to 6 GHz: the C band; 7 to 9 GHz: the X band; 10 to 17 GHz: the Ku band; and 18 to 22 GHz: the Ka band. At the dawn of the Satellite Age during the mid-1960s, microwave engineers decided to carry forward the existing radar terminology and apply it to the communications satellite bands as well..

very interesting stuff, never knew that. thanks for posting it.

I used to always wonder what those big satellite dishes were for. My grandpa was a rich man and he had one of those huge dishes in his back yard, we always called it a spider web because thats what it looked like with a huge pointer thing. It was black and transluscent not sure who his provider was. It had to of been about 15 feet accross or so, it was pretty big. I also remember you could move the satellite dish with the remote and he had a big screen tv picture looked very nice, a ton of channels too. He also had another satellite dish the same size up at his farm. I've asked in the past what the use of those huge satellites were for and most people just said better reception and that the portable dishes pretty much replaced the big satellites. I've only seen one house here with the big ones and normally in farm area where my cousin lives I never see compact dishes, they are all very large.

For the typical home users, the main reasons DBS has replaced the BUD is: compression to keep the typical one dish solution for all TVs, low startup cost, and the end of R&D by the manufacturers for home home products.

The BUD is far superior than DBS. It has both C and Ku bands, it has digital and analog capabilities in both free and subscription form. The vast majority of your cable, DBS, and VDSL video delivery is provided by the BUD.

It is sad that they are being squeezed (some self inflicted) out of the typical home theater.

do you guys think bud will be around for a long time to come or will it eventually go away. i would love to get one, but right now lack the space. one of the things i find hard to understand about BUD is the programming. i have looked at some sites and nothing is ever real clear. i can't find what hd channels are available besides hbo and showtime. anyone have a real good site that gives you all the programming options?

Well I could never see my self going with a C-Band mainly because of size, our whole backyard is taken up by a inground pool so that would make pretty little sense. Another reason is my mother would be barking at me about how ugly it is and ruins her plants etc. And last of all the cost, despite quality 1000 dollars is still a lot for a satellite like that. We have hurricanes here last thing I need is a satellite flying into the neighbors yard. Although this happened to my superdish a while back dish repaired it free. I'm sure with a BUD you pay for the unit and then are responsible what happens etc.

Since the quality is uncompressed though compared to digital broadcast would that make for the clearest picture out of both dish, directv and a standard cable connection?

Man, there is too much info on this stuff!!! I don't know weather to keep building my race car or turn my back yard into a satellite field:)
Chuck

Chucksrt,
I have been in the process of setting up my BUD for about 2 months and am almost finished. All I have left to do is fine adjustments for aiming so i can "see" all of the Clarke Belt. The reasons it has taken this long is that its winter and I'm in Vermont, ie: its BRRRRRRR out there, and I have very limited time for home projects.

Here is what I have found out about BUDS, both from here and from my own experience.

A BUD and its associated equipment can often be had for free, all you have to do is look in the classifieds, that is how I got mine. The hardest part of setting up a BUD is making sure that you have a perfectly plumb pole to mount the dish on. After that setup is relatively easy, and there are some really good resources out there to help you out.

Picture quality off of a well aimed BUD is excellant, the best I have ever seen. There are a lot of choices for programming, including "Ala Carte" ordering of just the channels you want. The typical BUD owner pays about 30% less for programming than a small dish user. For example, the only subsription channels i wanted were a&e, history, discovery, TNT, comedy, and sci fi. I am able to get JUST those channels at a cost of around 7.00 per month. There are also FTA (free to air) stations on c-band, and of course lots of wild feeds.

To make the most of a BUD you should make sure to set it up for both C-band and KU band, that will give you access to LOTS of FTA, including all of the networks (currently), and lots of specialty channels, some not even available thru subscription via the small dish's.

So, if you have the space, and are fairly technically competent, it is something I would recommend looking into. Here is a thread that has been running in the FTA forum, take a look http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=35271

Hope this helps.

I'v had my bud since 1985, I tried out the pizza dish for the rest of the family, it really sucks, big time! high cost low quality picture heavy rain cuts you off, I don't no how these things sell? I do have to say that a bud is not for everyone and now since most bud dealers have gone to pizza you must do most if not all of the work yourself, or with help from the bud family :) www.4dtvrocks.com
I would say look around and I'm sure you will find a bud free not far from you, bar house anywhere, you may get it free of for real cheap. There is far to much stuff up there with a bud, DVB 4DTV analog its sad that so many people dump there bud for ease of use, or the fact that its hard to find a dealer to work on them :( but like I said do it yourself, you end up saving more money.

Do not install a reflector less than 8.5' I would go atleast 10' to get best reception.

If you make a choice get a bud or c-band. It is cheaper and less expensive and if you get one call nps for programming and ask for john ferguson.The number is 1-800-444-3474 extension 6040 and he is there after 3:00 p.m. and he will give you a great deal on programming.The picture quality is so much better on the big dish than the small dish.The dish is big but the picture and pricing on the big dish beats the small dish handily.I have both big and small dish and can tell you that the big dish is alot better.The only reason I have the small dish is for the Fox Sports Programming otherwise I wouldn't have the small dish.

Yes John ferguson is a outbound rep and has the power to give you a better price on your programming, than if you just call NPS direct. He saved me over $50 on my programming!

I have a question, can I also get HD content from a BUD? I am getting ready to contact my doctor for some anti-depressants to deal with my Voom shutdown issues. I am not sure where to go for good HD PQ if Voom goes dark. I have plenty of room, my back yard is almost a half acre. I can stick it way in the back and then trench the cables back to the house if I have to. Someone PLEASE tell me that the HD PQ on a BUD is AWESOME, someone please give me some good news.

Hmm.. Just thought of another question. Are there directional/view issues also with a BUD like with the little ones?

Thanks in advance

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)