What is considered to be "Top of the Line Receiver?"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Since I am still very new to this, what is considered to ba a "top Of The Line" receiver? Also, what is considered to be the "low end". I am not looking to flame anyone, but just curious as to what is good and what is not. For reference, I have seen receivers on ebay, that must be low end - or fakes as they make them sound like the other companies names. I also see those systems sell for more than what Sadoun sells "namebrand" for. So, why not get a "namebrand"/better receiver?

bottom of the barrel (IMO) is my Viacast 2000
-very basic reciever
-no blind scan
-10 transponder limit (not 10 satellite...10 TP...so the stuff on G10 would be 4 entries).

Again, My opinion. Any receiver that cant control a motor and not have blind scan is bottom of barrel. There are good ones that dont control a motor (Satworks 3618 comes to mind) but have blind scan

Top of line (non 4:2:2 or HD) realy depends on what you've worked with. For me, the Coolsat 5000 is all and all one of the nicest units. The Pansat 6000 is nice too (dual tuner and PVR) but there are some flaws (ungodly slow blind scan and picture freezing)

IF money was no object, I'd have a Coolsat 5000 and Quali-TV receiver (does 4:2:2 and HD)...throw in a 4DTV, 10 foot C-Band dish and a really good line of sight and I'd be happy :)

Thanks! Sounds like I will be happy wiht the Fortec I have on order. Good price, yet has some good features. I do know I am going to order a motor next month so I have something to play with on vacation in June :)

thanks guys great reading on the system types, I'm also looking and will buy within the next 3 months. thanks again.

Hi Iceberg I have narrowed the receivers down to Two units, now remember, I never done this FTA before so I'm very new to this, I'm looking at the Captive works 600s premiun, and the Coolsat 5000. I need to know some answers , I was wondering when all is set up with the dish, is it hard to enter the frquencies, or is it easy, that would be the coolsat 5000, and where do you get the list of all the satilites from. #2 the Captive works 600 s premium is it as easy as they say it is. Is it really plug and Play. Also where do i go to find a drawing of the set up of the dish. Thanks Houli

houli said:
I need to know some answers , I was wondering when all is set up with the dish, is it hard to enter the frquencies, or is it easy, that would be the coolsat 5000, and where do you get the list of all the satilites from. #2 the Captive works 600 s premium is it as easy as they say it is. Is it really plug and Play. Also where do i go to find a drawing of the set up of the dish. Thanks Houli

1. Coolsat has blind scan which finds all the frequencies that are active for a satellite. Captiveworks you have to add them in. They "claim" blind scan but it doesnt work
A list can be found at www.lyngsat.com or www.global-cm.net (go tot he MPEG page)

2. oh heck no. I have the CW600 (original) and I will tell you, it is NOT NOT NOT plug and play. I have worked with enough recievers and even this one confused the hell out of me. I had it set on a fixed dish and it took me a while to get it working right

My money is on the Coolsat (if these 2 were my only options). I do like the Fortec Classic too. Nice blind scan and real nice unit :)

Don't know anything about the CW 600s, but the Coolsat has some preprogrammed TP's (frequencies). It also has a blind scan that will find TP's for you, once you've located the satellite.

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)